AVS Forum banner

3521 - 3540 of 3900 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I downloaded Parallels and Windows 10 and am trying reformatting both a 1 and a 16GB USB drive to FAT32 in Windows. We'll see what happens this time.
I figured out my problem. When I unzipped the file, it created a folder that was named "sony_pjupdate.....". Inside that folder is another folder named "sony_dtv0FA30A0.....". That second folder is the one that should be on the root directory of the USB drive. I just moved it and it worked.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
I think the version for the 265 can be used for the 260.

When the 885 got the update the 870 (I think) was able to use it but the same 885 FW was then posted on the 870 page the next day. (If I remember correctly.)
It should work since the projectors are the same just with different numbers for Europe and other parts of the world.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I used my wife’s Windows 10 laptop and a 128GB empty thumb drive to do the update. The operation was so fast that I thought that it didn’t work. After restarting the projector the firmware version was correct. I removed the Integral from the chain and watched 35 uninterrupted minutes of Oceans 8 in HDR. The format switching also seems vastly improved. Thanks Sony!

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I am sure you can't get a Mac involved. Don't ask me why esp since Mac can format for windows but at this point we know Mac is not your friend with FW updates.

As far as having trouble with windows the only thing that still stands out to me is some gizmos only "see" smaller USB sticks. I can't say that's the case but I just grabbed the smallest one I had on hand and it worked.

Finally,... I don't think the file itself is bad. At least not if you go start to finish with a Windoze puter. I Dl-ed in in Chrome and extracted it using some built in W10 feature. Everything was pretty smooth.

The best part was it did actually work to fully solve the problem

edit - again ... you don't want the bin file in the root directory... you want the folder that it comes in not renamed or otherwise altered
This!

I use an old 1GB USB stick only for FW updates. Works a treat. Also be sure to do a full (not quick) format using FAT32 on a windows PC before following the instructions exactly and you should have no issues. :)

Edit: I see you have sorted it @smd! Cool.

Reactions: per1971

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
Me neither, blacks levels are satisfying. Not as good as JVC, but JVC's black levels are also grey when compared to TVs.
One thing is for sure, always buy a item for yourself, not based of anyone else's opinion. Sound like you bought the proper unit for yourself ;)

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Does anyone have a working link to the German Gamma Curves Download?

Thanks.
The bad news as you know is that link has expired but I have good news. I have the curves with instructions. and would be happy to send them to you by email.
The files are small. Just send me a private message with your email address.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As promised, I asked @rwestley to also send me the German Curves and I agreed to pay it forward so I uploaded them to Mega and here is a new link.

https://mega.nz/#!og8zyIBA!KpcuqRsM3OaRUJ9i1EIbMnf7BnPDS2wSXlpx0iq9oTA

It is not set to expire. The only thing I ask in return... is that if these are updated beyond version 2.0, please let me know and if someone sends them to me, I'll upload and update the link. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
As promised, I asked @rwestley to also send me the German Curves and I agreed to pay it forward so I uploaded them to Mega and here is a new link.

https://mega.nz/#!og8zyIBA!KpcuqRsM3OaRUJ9i1EIbMnf7BnPDS2wSXlpx0iq9oTA

It is not set to expire. The only thing I ask in return... is that if these are updated beyond version 2.0, please let me know and if someone sends them to me, I'll upload and update the link. Thanks again!
There's been a LOT of posts regarding these 'curves' so for those, like myself, new to the 285: what is the benefit of d/l and installing these 'curves'? Will everyone see a difference or are these curves aimed at a specific need/interest?

I'm all for getting the best quality i can from my PJ video however, for example, I have no interest in d/l and installing the firmware update since it's for those with the Apple device and I don't use it so I didn't install it.

From others like 'me' we'd appreciate a response to help. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
There's been a LOT of posts regarding these 'curves' so for those, like myself, new to the 285: what is the benefit of d/l and installing these 'curves'? Will everyone see a difference or are these curves aimed at a specific need/interest?

I'm all for getting the best quality i can from my PJ video however, for example, I have no interest in d/l and installing the firmware update since it's for those with the Apple device and I don't use it so I didn't install it.

From others like 'me' we'd appreciate a response to help. Thank you in advance!
1. The firmware update seems to improve other things along with solving the Apple TV issue. Faster HDMI switching seems like one of them. The update is worth doing.
Regarding the German Curves. They are very good for HDR and the picture seems so much better than the default ones. If you install them you must change the other settings in the instructions. You can try them under User 1 or another memory and see how you like them.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,424 Posts
This!

I use an old 1GB USB stick only for FW updates. Works a treat. Also be sure to do a full (not quick) format using FAT32 on a windows PC before following the instructions exactly and you should have no issues. :)

Edit: I see you have sorted it @smd! Cool.
You absolutely do not need to do a full format. The only difference between full format and quick format is that full format = quick format + verifying every sector on the disk (takes a while). The format part, itself, is identical. And you don't need to scan for bad sectors on solid state media.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
You absolutely do not need to do a full format. The only difference between full format and quick format is that full format = quick format + verifying every sector on the disk (takes a while). The format part, itself, is identical. And you don't need to scan for bad sectors on solid state media.
The mere fact you felt you had to point that out, when either way is quick (especially with small USB drives) AND the fact the problem has already been sorted anyway, speaks volumes.

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Currently I'm not using the German curves. But I have used them and I can get a good picture using them.

Eventually the room you are using and the screen play a role in chasing a good PQ. Another factor for me is simplicity because if it's not super easy to use my system I get feedback from the wife and kids.

I'm sure I didn't have a use for the default gamma options that the German curves replace. Also I backed up the curves before over writing them. Finally, if you do a full reset of the projector it un does the changes you make when you install them. ( I think, I've only done that once and it seemed to remove the mod.)

My room is all black with no windows or lights and my screen has some positive gain so maxing out all the contrast settings isn't the best way to go about things. (It winds up revealing the screen shiny-ness in a bad way.)

Currently I can use a single projector input. And, I use the built in HDR settings. I also do my own calibrations. So,... what I do today may not be what I do next week.

Just want to say you can take or leave the German Curves mod. If you want the look of the very bright flat panel display then they can add the punch that makes HDR so vivid.

-Brian

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,424 Posts
The mere fact you felt you had to point that out, when either way is quick (especially with small USB drives) AND the fact the problem has already been sorted anyway, speaks volumes.
Not sure what point you're trying to make, but I cannot handle mis-information. You do not need to make sure to use full format. Quick format is exactly the same. This whole forum isn't dedicated to help this one guy out whose problem is now solved. It's a thread that my get google searched years to come. Cant let some bad info like that sit.

3521 - 3540 of 3900 Posts