AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3723 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would start a new thread on this. I am attaching some of my pics of this device. Just got it and will put it through its paces soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
I thought I would start a new thread on this. I am attaching some of my pics of this device. Just got it and will put it through its paces soon.
Nice!

Can you please edit the thread title to something like Sony VPL-VW385ES Owners Thread.

Am I seeing correct your serial number is freaking 00001 or something? That's awesome.

Enjoy it.

Please post pics of the focus screen pattern and 4k test patterns when you get a chance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!

Can you please edit the thread title to something like Sony VPL-VW385ES Owners Thread.

Am I seeing correct your serial number is freaking 00001 or something? That's awesome.

Enjoy it.

Please post pics of the focus screen pattern and 4k test patterns when you get a chance.
Yes it was 0001. I changed the title Where do I get the patterns from?

·
Registered
18,129 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats! (so jealous). Still have about 3 weeks of waiting before I get mine. Can't wait to hear your impressions. What devices will you be using it with?

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Juan when you have some pics you want to share:

Try Imgur. then paste the BBC Code right in your posts and the images will show.

http://imgur.com

Drag and drop your pics into the window to upload.

When its uploaded:

'Get Share Links'

Then copy and paste the BBC Code text into your forum post and voila!

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
When you get a chance pull up the pattern that looks like this:

A good portion of the pattern to look at with the 385ES would be the checkerboard pattern with single pixel lines. You can find these on top and bottom above and below the red, green and blue ramps/lines.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you get a chance pull up the pattern that looks like this:

A good portion of the pattern to look at with the 385ES would be the checkerboard pattern with single pixel lines. You can find these on top and bottom above and below the red, green and blue ramps/lines.
I have it but don't know which pattern you are talking about. I will post them and you can let me know if you need me to retake them. Please be advised that I am projecting on the wall since my screen does not come until Friday. Output device is the Oppo 203. Give me a sec to post.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
JAVS,

Thanks for the help.

EXPLANATION FROM AMartin56

The test pattern Juan was asked to use is a checkerboard grid of individual pixels.

On a flat panel the pixel structure will be precisely aligned mechanically. Get a magnifying glass and you'll see it. All the sub elements in a row. A flat panel will display this test pattern VERY well.

LCoS like Sony and JVC can't reach this level of alignment. They are three chip solutions and while an attempt is made to precisely align all three panels it's not always perfect. I won't get into who does it better but both companies provide ECC (Electronic convergence controls) to adjust for this but they should be used sparingly if at all.

So lets assume you have a panel with GREAT alignment. You still have to get through the optics. JVC is almost universally accepted as having better glass. But Sony supposedly has tried to make improvements in this area this year (But JVC will still probably be better lens wise). In any case the lens may slightly blur or otherwise modify your perfect convergence on the way to the screen.

The issues above make it unlikely that a PROJECTOR (at least a three chip design) will ever do extremely well on that torture test pattern.

Now it would seem that Sony drives their panel in such a way that it makes some of the above worse and other companies may or may not do it better. I don't think many fully understand how or why. We are all just guessing. But the proof is in the pudding. Do you like the image it displays? If yes ignore the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) being spread.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Thank you for doing this Juan.

Seems Sony still has a ways to go with 4k Panel Projection with high density detail faithfully reproduced.

Dont let this deter you from enjoying your purchase!

Real content is going to look great.

That lens actually looks pretty decent based on the grid there. I dont see fringing at least in those images. My old 300ES and the 320ES I saw had pretty big fringing (Smearing) on one side which would stick out like a sore thumb on any grid patterns, so you are good to go with this lens IMO.

Will be good to see these again when you get the image up on a smooth surface such as a screen and projected large.

Do you have a screen Juan?

1 - 20 of 3723 Posts