AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 3723 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Does anyone speak German? Did Ekki or his partner mention any of this in his video showing Billy Lynn?
My German is definitely not passable so between listening and CC I'm still not to be trusted.

in the video of heimkinoraum in which billy lynn was taken as an example for 4k 60p content is told that

- the film is running with very fluid pans and steadiness.
- 4k 60p 4:2:0, color space BT.2020 and HDR-Format HDR10 shown in the menus of the projector
- banding not mentioned
That's good, I trust your languages skills far more than mine.

I am using an oppo 203. It may have been 4:2:2. How do I change if so?

Juan
Absolutely and they are certified 4K. I had read somewhere that the length may be a problem

Oppo should have AUTO settings for Resolution, Color Space and Color Depth.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I also want to point out that the lines we can easily see in your photo are not single pixel white/black lines. Those are multiple pixel lined wide on/off black and white lines. In the photo I've just linked to, there are single pixel white and black lines adjacent to the checkerboard pattern. To see how the 1000ES displays those lines up close is a real test of resolution capabilities. I have no doubt the lens is capable of resolving them, but can the panels?
Yes they are single black and white lines 1 pixel black 1 pixel white, it's the lines with the "full" mark

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Yes there's no doubt that those two won't have the same image even though they are both 1080p, i get that. i think you didn't understand my question, you answered they won't be the same in terms of contrast, processing e.t.c But i realise that, and i specified that in my question where i said, "..With the only difference between the two being other picture quality aspects?" My main question was on resolution, "Is it true that even the lowest sony 4k projectors with the lowest lense and panel driver issues will still throw a 4k image just as well as a JVC RS4500 will in terms of both projectors projected images having the exact same number of pixels? I wanted to know if they will both have the same number of pixels, which thank you so much you did answer that yes, in terms of pixels they will both have the exact same number! So it's finally sorted for me, they are all native true 4k projectors and i wish i hadn't ever heard anyone try to say that they aren't, just put me in a huge confusion! :)

Now i just wish farsider3000 hadn't made this statement to you which only contradicts what i now Know about all of them being true 4k projectors, "But I see your point as well, there is no perfect display and even when all projectors have true 4k panels there will be some that look sharper on screen and can resolve more lines of resolution."
Yes, I did answer that both RS4500 and VW385 have the same number of pixels.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
The boxes with full 50% where you say you see banding, it is introduced in the jpeg foto from the iPhone, in real there is only lines, with reduced contrast.
4K checkerboard is resolved so I can see the individual pixels clearly.
The only thing I can see on the checkerboard is again some contrast loss and some slight violet color introduced by bandwidth limitations.

Unfortunately I have not the 1000 in my house any more, but I have still access to it, but not just around the corner.
I was referring to this, not the boxes with 50% full:

But I see you acknowledge this issue.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
That's also only in the foto, not in real.
That's interesting to hear. Here is the greyscale ramp in the 1000ES service menu. I took this photo myself. It looked the same after it was upgraded to an 1100ES as well. When I pull it up it looks exactly like what those grey boxes look line:

It's just very interesting to see how those grey boxes look just like the grey on my unit.

·
Registered
433 Posts
That's interesting to hear. Here is the greyscale ramp in the 1000ES service menu. I took this photo myself. It looked the same after it was upgraded to an 1100ES as well. When I pull it up it looks exactly like what those grey boxes look line:

It's just very interesting to see how those grey boxes look just like the grey on my unit.
I remember when I took the foto, I saw the rosa blotches in the picture, I looked at the screen and I couldn't see it.

The service menu grayramp was affected by the contrast slider, lowering the contrast and the colors disappeared.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I remember when I took the foto, I saw the rosa blotches in the picture, I looked at the screen and I couldn't see it.

The service menu grayramp was affected by the contrast slider, lowering the contrast and the colors disappeared.
In a review with a test pattern similar to these you can see the same discoloration with things that are supposed to be grey. This unit was supposedly calibrated so the contrast setting would have been ideal.

My only point here is that I've seen enough images and this problem in real like to verify it. Green and pink discoloration happens.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
So it sounds like mirodk has a Sony that can image single pixel test patterns with very few artifacts. At least it is much better than any eshift single pixel pattern test I have ever seen.

Makes you wonder if there is no problem with the panel drivers at all. Maybe it is just a case of bad QC and there are some projectors that have issues and some that don't.

Doesn't sound too much different than the situation with bright corners on JVC projectors. Some are better than others.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
So it sounds like mirodk has a Sony that can image single pixel test patterns with very few artifacts. At least it is much better than any eshift single pixel pattern test I have ever seen.

Makes you wonder if there is no problem with the panel drivers at all. Maybe it is just a case of bad QC and there are some projectors that have issues and some that don't.

Doesn't sound too much different than the situation with bright corners on JVC projectors. Some are better than others.
The only issue with that theory is that the panel driver information came from someone at Sony. I doubt they have QC problems on this large of a scale. That would be terrible.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
ekki and gunnar are speaking bit the banding probe at 4:30 min. they confirm that the bit rate (VW260, VW360, VW550 new model) was defintely increased by sony and the 4k HDR 60p (10, 12 bit) mode works. the models from last year couldn't handle this mode and drop back at 8bit.

furthermore, the banding issues can affect the gamers in some special scenes not straight obviously.
if the banding is provoked by the projector or by the PS4 Pro is not for sure. therefore, Ekki wants strongly indicate Sony for improvement and a quick fix.
Chrismannn,

So the banding issue may be attributed to the Sony PS4 Pro. I think this sounds about right because other owners have reported similar banding with other display devices.

Does he mention anywhere in the video about problems with this color banding when playing 4K60Hz HDR10 content from a streaming or a blu-ray player device?

·
Registered
433 Posts
In a review with a test pattern similar to these you can see the same discoloration with things that are supposed to be grey. This unit was supposedly calibrated so the contrast setting would have been ideal.

My only point here is that I've seen enough images and this problem in real like to verify it. Green and pink discoloration happens.
I have also seen this foto and I remember I thought, what is going on in this picture, I haven't seen it one mine.

I think we can conclude that it's not just black and white. Not all Sony 4K is affected in the same manner.

I have the VW520 and on all material, it looks much worse, just like this picture above.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts

That was from his VW1000 which is a completely different projector than the xxx series. I don't think we've seen any of the xxx series that can properly reproduce the patterns.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
That was from his VW1000 which is a completely different projector than the xxx series. I don't think we've seen any of the xxx series that can properly reproduce the patterns.
Exactly. He even just said he 520ES looks much worse and resembles the photos I just posted

·
Registered
433 Posts

I think it's more a software or hardware issue, on the motherboard, than the panels itself.
I really, really like to see all the same patterns on the VW5000.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The only issue with that theory is that the panel driver information came from someone at Sony. I doubt they have QC problems on this large of a scale. That would be terrible.
I don't know how large scale it really is? Does it effect 20%, 50%, 70%, 90%? How do we know? There isn't enough data. Possibly the Sony engineer was making an educated guess rather than a detailed diagnosis of the problem.

That is the problem with these types of issues. We as consumers don't have accurate data to access the problems. We can only guess. Your opinions are just your best guess based on your experience and second hand reports from a few owners. I am not saying you are wrong. I am just saying that it isn't exactly a scientific method of testing and review.

Just look at this thread as an example. People are up in arms about banding, resolution, HDMI bandwidth issues, etc. and it is extremely difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

281 - 300 of 3723 Posts