AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 3723 Posts

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Now that you mention it i actually remember some people saying the ps4 pro actually let's you choose between 4k sdr and 1080p hdr or something like that!! That's how i think some people with epson faux k projectors use the ps4 pro! Can anyone please confirm?
Turning off HDR will result in SDR/R709

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Hard to tell. There is a youtube video going around in German that claims blu-ray UHD [email protected] HDR10 looks fantastic, very smooth motion and no banding issues. Then there is Chrismann who speaks German and said that Ekki's video does not mention any issues with [email protected] HDR10 Blu-ray content.

There is also Sony's own website http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/projectors/VPL-VW385ES.php where it states in bold text.

"Enjoy all types of content in 4K HDR

4K HDR 60p 10bit (for HDR10/HLG) compatible so you can enjoy gaming and other high frame rate content in 4K HDR."

Then there is Juan's test where he says he see's banding. So who really knows? The new 4K Apple TV hasn't even been released yet. Eventually, we will find out what the issues are.

Could be software, could be cables, could be improper settings, it could be the projector hardware?

Also consider that the current 675ES supposedly has the exact same hardware and it streams NVidea Chromecast [email protected] HDR10 fine.
What is Juan using for a source? If the source is higher than 4:2:0, then it would force it to 8 bit and he would have banding. I do think the Sony can do 4K HDR @60 with 10 bit.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Turning off HDR will result in SDR/R709
Yes i understand that now, but atleast it's an option to play in 4k sdr just incase the banding is VERY bad making 4k hdr unplayable. Which i personally have never had any experience with how banding looks but have just seen it in some pictures, so it would still be a HUGE win if i end up not noticing or being sensitive to the banding at all! :D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
What is Juan using for a source? If the source is higher than 4:2:0, then it would force it to 8 bit and he would have banding. I do think the Sony can do 4K HDR @60 with 10 bit.
No i think he ended up confirming yesterday that it was indeed 4:2:0 and not 4:2:2 when watching a 60Hz video, but as soon as he switched to a 8 bit signal the banding dissapeared :(

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I'm not entirely convinced that WCG is much of a thing with games anyways. It seems like you guys are after the resolution more than anything.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If i may ask, does banding in any way affect the picture quality? Or is it just something that's distracting when seen but has no affect on the quality?
What i mean is, if i'm watching or playing 4k hdr at 60hz on the projector and i don't really notice the banding, is there any reason to still switch off hdr? If i don't switch hdr off is the banding taking away anything from the picture?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm not entirely convinced that WCG is much of a thing with games anyways. It seems like you guys are after the resolution more than anything.
Yes indeed, otherwise we would be satisfied with the faux-x projectors some of which cover 100% dci p3! But it's the native 4k resolution that has us gushing over these sony's !! ;)

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
No i think he ended up confirming yesterday that it was indeed 4:2:0 and not 4:2:2 when watching a 60Hz video, but as soon as he switched to a 8 bit signal the banding dissapeared :(
That is correct. I confirmed on both the oppo 203 and the projector. My results were posted earlier.
There is no question that the vm385es has banding problems with 4k HDR @60fps with 4:2:0.
If the projector can do what is advertised, then it can, since [email protected] 4:2:0 10 bit is 11.14. I do not see Sony stating 13.5 and the projector not being able to do it. I suspect a setting is causing the problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
It is mostly distracting in pictures with bright sky. Some pictures looked just fine. I am not sure that it is really a big deal but I am not a gamer. It is distracting and unfortunate but you do have the option to turn off HDR to eliminate the banding.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
If i may ask, does banding in any way affect the picture quality? Or is it just something that's distracting when seen but has no affect on the quality?
What i mean is, if i'm watching or playing 4k hdr at 60hz on the projector and i don't really notice the banding, is there any reason to still switch off hdr? If i don't switch hdr off is the banding taking away anything from the picture?
Well yes but it's hard to say how much it might bother you. I mean we've been watching 8 bit material for quite some time so while improvement is certainly appreciated I never found it to be a huge deal before.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If the projector can do what is advertised, then it can, since [email protected] 4:2:0 10 bit is 11.14. I do not see Sony stating 13.5 and the projector not being able to do it. I suspect a setting is causing the problem.
I really hope that it's a setting causing the problem, there is no reason sony would lie about the 13 gb hdmi bandwith. I hope we get some good news on this and the problem is resolved !

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
I am more than happy if it becomes a setting issue but I have started to get quite good at learning these devices. Both devices confirm the signal data and HDMI is set to advanced. Reality creation is off and picture is reference. The oppo is forced to the tested signal. The only wild card is the source material. However I confirmed those specs as well. I have no doubt that the documentation says one thing however the actual projector is doing something else. Perhaps it will be fixed with a firmware.

Juan

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
So it will take away from the picture?
I really can't answer that for you. Any defect has the potential to be distracting.

For example JVC CMD banding drove me up a wall. Other people weren't affected by it to that extent.

I'm not bothered by the examples of the processing limitations of a Sony I've been shown. But it drives others up a wall.

So ***shrug***.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Hard to say. The forum certainly helps to put a spotlight on all of the faults. My screen has not come in yet but the material I have tested looks amazing. Even the test videos I have been running look fantastic. Now, to put things in context, I have 37 inch 720p TV's as my comparison. So a paperbag would be an improvement. I am not sure that the banding or single pixel issues will affect me. If I had not known about them, I am not sure I would seen anything. I don't regret the purchase. It is way cheaper than the 675 I was going to purchase. Also it has an improved lens.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Juan, a lot of people are hoping you're going to write a lengthy post talking about how you're pleased with the projector. People are either on the edge or hesitant about purchasing this as there seems to be a lot of negatives talked about this unit thus far and there are alsp salesmen hoping you do the same so they can make some money off of your comments. ;)

361 - 380 of 3723 Posts