AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 3723 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm not entirely convinced that WCG is much of a thing with games anyways. It seems like you guys are after the resolution more than anything.
Prepared to be blow away. Its huge imo. On the flip side, someone quoted a study maybe it was Craig or Mike on how men had a huge disparity between colors they could actually see. Try Uncharted in 4k HDR, the WCG is real and I want it just as bad as resolution.

Yes indeed, otherwise we would be satisfied with the faux-x projectors some of which cover 100% dci p3! But it's the native 4k resolution that has us gushing over these sony's !! ;)
Not this guy. Both are UHD 4k standards.

If the projector can do what is advertised, then it can, since [email protected] 4:2:0 10 bit is 11.14. I do not see Sony stating 13.5 and the projector not being able to do it. I suspect a setting is causing the problem.
Me too and I hope so. I'd have thought Ekki would have talked about this aggressively by now but Juan is clearly seeing it.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I do really well on all the color blind tests. :) And I definitely see the benefits of WCG. But more in 'real' content and less in video games that will ultimately always be cartoons to me.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Juan, a lot of people are hoping you're going to write a lengthy post talking about how you're pleased with the projector. People are either on the edge or hesitant about purchasing this as there seems to be a lot of negatives talked about this unit thus far and there are alsp salesmen hoping you do the same so they can make some money off of your comments. ;)
That seems kind of unreasonable since vendors can be just as excited and passionate lol.

In any case, here Chrismann has translated from Ekki, Grobotv as well as hands on,

indeed, i'm native german and can speak the language well, i hope that my english is a bit understandable
i'm very interesting in the vw285 and i try to gather as much information as i can.

a few days ago i have got the opportunity to test the vw285 at a specialized dealer with following devices: BR, UHD BR, 3D and PS4 Pro.

The upscaling with BR (Star Wars) was fantastic (good FI and black level), the UHD of Revenant blow me away. Never seen such a plastic, high resoluted picture and the missing FI in 4K was neither a problem for me (ok, revenant it's not a fast paced film).

afterwards, we tested a 3D BR from Terminator Genesis and it was brilliant especially the upscaled picture. no ghosting , perfect blacks and a very crisp and solid picture.

these points mentioned above have all worked fine to perfect.

then we tested the ps4 pro with the game everybody's golf and with the resolution 4k 4:2:0 10 bit. there was definitely color banding when you watched the blue and cloudy sky. The maximum settings in the menu of the ps4 pro are 2160p YUV (RGB is shown grey out), ingame you can choose between 4k or 60 fps, HDR can be enabled at 4K.
nevertheless the rest of the picture in 10 bit was very clear and phantastic, so you have to search for banding to find, especially in monochromatic images.

if i have the opportunity i'm going to test the UHD of billy lynn to see what problems could occur with a uhd 60p film.
i have heard that the film is running with the vw265/365/550 but it will show banding in 10 bit which disappears when switched to 8bit. in general the picture of the film should be very soap in 60p.
AMartin56 likes this.
Last edited by Chrismannn; Today at 05:06 AM.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
And if the thread needs more positives regarding the new viability of the 300 series over what was available before I can oblige.

Previously to get the features of the 385es you had to buy the 675es for $7k more. Compared to the old 365es with no lens memory, no iris, and 10gb HDMI you realistically only lose 300 lumens brightness and some contrast (and while the difference in contrast is significant I think the 385es will still impress most people) compared to the more expensive big brother.

While Sony seems to have retained the processing issues that never really seemed to bother most 675es owners the 300 series now (allegedly) has a better lens and very likely more degradation counter measures.

Seems like a good $7k trade off to me!

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Now granted if you aren't a Sony fan the argument can be made that other manufacturers may provide more value but I still think the 385 will sell very well.

Kind of odd that Sony seems to insist upon having an odd man out in the lineup each year though. Last year it was the 365. Now it's the 675 in my opinion.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That seems kind of unreasonable since vendors can be just as excited and passionate lol.

In any case, here Chrismann has translated from Ekki, Grobotv as well as hands on,

indeed, i'm native german and can speak the language well, i hope that my english is a bit understandable
i'm very interesting in the vw285 and i try to gather as much information as i can.

a few days ago i have got the opportunity to test the vw285 at a specialized dealer with following devices: BR, UHD BR, 3D and PS4 Pro.

The upscaling with BR (Star Wars) was fantastic (good FI and black level), the UHD of Revenant blow me away. Never seen such a plastic, high resoluted picture and the missing FI in 4K was neither a problem for me (ok, revenant it's not a fast paced film).

afterwards, we tested a 3D BR from Terminator Genesis and it was brilliant especially the upscaled picture. no ghosting , perfect blacks and a very crisp and solid picture.

these points mentioned above have all worked fine to perfect.

then we tested the ps4 pro with the game everybody's golf and with the resolution 4k 4:2:0 10 bit. there was definitely color banding when you watched the blue and cloudy sky. The maximum settings in the menu of the ps4 pro are 2160p YUV (RGB is shown grey out), ingame you can choose between 4k or 60 fps, HDR can be enabled at 4K.
nevertheless the rest of the picture in 10 bit was very clear and phantastic, so you have to search for banding to find, especially in monochromatic images.

if i have the opportunity i'm going to test the UHD of billy lynn to see what problems could occur with a uhd 60p film.
i have heard that the film is running with the vw265/365/550 but it will show banding in 10 bit which disappears when switched to 8bit. in general the picture of the film should be very soap in 60p.
AMartin56 likes this.
Last edited by Chrismannn; Today at 05:06 AM.

Nice write up from someone who has seen it. I am pretty much on the edge of making the decision to buy this as well. I have gone back and forth on just punting and buying the 5040ub for half the price, but my thinking is if I buy this true 4k projector I am more likely to enjoy it a longer period of time. My 5030ub has served me well, but like a lot of people it is a strong motivator to get 4k projector not a pixel shifter. Logically, I know they have a lot of merit, but still, when it comes to dropping the hard earned cash I want to check off the 4k box and Sony has finally hit a price point that works for me. I want to see ALL the stars! You know the video's by now. LOL The DLP's are tempting, and might be a strong player very soon, but right now they don't have 3d and lens adjustments I want.

Reactions: TheBrandon

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Previously to get the features of the 385es you had to buy the 675es for $7k more. Compared to the old 365es with no lens memory, no iris, and 10gb HDMI you realistically only lose 300 lumens brightness and some contrast (and while the difference in contrast is significant I think the 385es will still impress most people) compared to the more expensive big brother.
From the reviews on the German videos and from Ekki's video the native contrast is the same between the 675 and the 385. The only difference is 300 lumens and a more aggressive DI on the 675.

In fact, for a while some were saying that the contrast was improved on the newer 285, 385 from last year's 675 but then it seemed as if the range of contrast measurements were the same.

As far as the [email protected] HDR10, the new Sony's definitely support it and it has already been tested to work successfully in several of the videos. None are reporting banding due to 8 bit color/10 bit color with UHD 4K Blu-ray @60Hz HDR10. There have been many reporting about banding in gaming but most are saying that it is only certain games and in certain scenes. So difficult to tell what exactly is the issue.

The good news for gamers is that in game mode either 4k or 1080p, the input lag is averaging about 10ms or less. That is really really good for a projector. Sony definitely planned on these units as gaming compatible. When in the normal non-gaming modes the input lag was still a respectable 33 ms.

I don't know what the issue is with Juan's setup. Maybe a setting, maybe a cable, maybe different firmware version, Who knows? Has he tried using an 18Gbps certified short cable to connect directly to the projector or is he still using a long cable or going through an AVR. There were some reports that if you have a bandwidth restriction that it would cause the HDMI sync to default to 8 bit color, even though the settings might be set for 10 bit.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
From the reviews on the German videos and from Ekki's video the native contrast is the same between the 675 and the 385. The only difference is 300 lumens and a more aggressive DI on the 675.

In fact, for a while some were saying that the contrast was improved on the newer 285, 385 from last year's 675 but then it seemed as if the range of contrast measurements were the same.

As far as the [email protected] HDR10, the new Sony's definitely support it and it has already been tested to work successfully in several of the videos. None are reporting banding due to 8 bit color/10 bit color with UHD 4K Blu-ray @60Hz HDR10. There have been many reporting about banding in gaming but most are saying that it is only certain games and in certain scenes. So difficult to tell what exactly is the issue.

The good news for gamers is that in game mode either 4k or 1080p, the input lag is averaging about 10ms or less. That is really really good for a projector. Sony definitely planned on these units as gaming compatible. When in the normal non-gaming modes the input lag was still a respectable 33 ms.

I don't know what the issue is with Juan's setup. Maybe a setting, maybe a cable, maybe different firmware version, Who knows? Has he tried using an 18Gbps certified short cable to connect directly to the projector or is he still using a long cable or going through an AVR. There were some reports that if you have a bandwidth restriction that it would cause the HDMI sync to default to 8 bit color, even though the settings might be set for 10 bit.
The only issue I see with the pricing is that none of these models are as bright as the JVCs priced at or below the 385ES. The ommision of P3 color and 18Gbps ports too is a problem with 2018 models priced at $8000 in my opinion. The one thing that's going for these models is the native 4K aspect, but as we know these models do have issues displaying 4K content true to the source so I don't know how much of an added benefit it really is until these issues are fixed. Its very nice that 675ES general performance has been brought down in price by almost half, but from my perspective I don't see the same value proposition that some others are seeing when you factor in what the equivalent priced JVC DLA-RS540 offers; a lot more brightness, a lot more contrast, P3 color, 18Gbps ports, full 12bit end to end video processing, no banding and a better lens until Sony's claims are proven correct. Id say the saving grace might be the street price dealers can offer this unit at. If priced low enough it would swing things in Sony's favor.

I also want to point out that Juan saw banding with movie content at 4K60 10bit, not games so I do think this is a very real issue that needs to be corrected. He is using an Oppo 203 and has verified the settings used were proper. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed via firmware update

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Nice write up from someone who has seen it. I am pretty much on the edge of making the decision to buy this as well. I have gone back and forth on just punting and buying the 5040ub for half the price, but my thinking is if I buy this true 4k projector I am more likely to enjoy it a longer period of time. My 5030ub has served me well, but like a lot of people it is a strong motivator to get 4k projector not a pixel shifter. Logically, I know they have a lot of merit, but still, when it comes to dropping the hard earned cash I want to check off the 4k box and Sony has finally hit a price point that works for me. I want to see ALL the stars! You know the video's by now. LOL The DLP's are tempting, and might be a strong player very soon, but right now they don't have 3d and lens adjustments I want.
I've had a 5040 in my house. It's a nice projector for the price. Having said that a 385es should look a lot better. Contrast will almost be doubled. Better fill rate. Motion will be better on the Sony. I believe the 5040 has 10gb only if I remember correctly but it's much brighter.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts

I'm not sure what contrast were going to see until I get one. Seems like one German video measured around 8-9k:1

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I'm not sure what contrast were going to see until I get one. Seems like one German video measured around 8-9k:1
Interesting to hear. That's a decent step behind the 675ES which measures closer to 15000:1 native contrast. But I think this makes sense as Sony still wants the 675ES to perform better. If they made this model too close in performance no one would buy the 675ES. JVC made this mistake a few years back and no one bought the more expensive models.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
This video starting around ten minutes.

He mentions the model number and iris status along the bottom. You can see the black level and peak white in the Calman readings.

And yes I hear 15k:1 native for the 675es. Cine4Home also suggests the 385 iris is software limited. Will have to see how that works out.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Did he SERIOUSLY say the 385 and 285 cover 98% and 97% of DCI P3 color space respectively at 22 mins 55 sec????? This is AMAZINGG!!!! We were HOPING that it might somehow even get to 90, but 98!!!!

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Did he SERIOUSLY say the 385 and 285 cover 98% and 97% of DCI P3 color space respectively at 22 mins 55 sec????? This is AMAZINGG!!!! We were HOPING that it might somehow even get to 90, but 98!!!!
I haven't listened to that portion but be careful. Numbers are a bit backwards. In English you say eighty nine (for example). German sounds more like nine and eighty.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
So i asked scott about the banding problem with the sony and this is what he said, 'Regarding the 385 not being able to do 4K HDR at 60 Hz without banding, that's probably because the source device downshifted to 8 bits. I don't know for sure, but that would be my guess.'
Was that confirmed by juan?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
So i asked scott about the banding problem with the sony and this is what he said, 'Regarding the 385 not being able to do 4K HDR at 60 Hz without banding, that's probably because the source device downshifted to 8 bits. I don't know for sure, but that would be my guess.'
Was that confirmed by juan?
He already confirmed 4K 60p 10bit 4:2:0 output from his Oppo 203.

381 - 400 of 3723 Posts