AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 3723 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The only issue I see with the pricing is that none of these models are as bright as the JVCs priced at or below the 385ES. The ommision of P3 color and 18Gbps ports too is a problem with 2018 models priced at $8000 in my opinion. The one thing that's going for these models is the native 4K aspect, but as we know these models do have issues displaying 4K content true to the source so I don't know how much of an added benefit it really is until these issues are fixed. Its very nice that 675ES general performance has been brought down in price by almost half, but from my perspective I don't see the same value proposition that some others are seeing when you factor in what the equivalent priced JVC DLA-RS540 offers; a lot more brightness, a lot more contrast, P3 color, 18Gbps ports, full 12bit end to end video processing, no banding and a better lens until Sony's claims are proven correct. Id say the saving grace might be the street price dealers can offer this unit at. If priced low enough it would swing things in Sony's favor.
I understand what you are saying but at the same time people are wanting to move on from eshift projection.

There is one video going around with a dealer who sells both JVC and Sony in Germany. He has a full theater set up with a JVC 640 and a Sony 385. When he has demoed both to people with 4K UHD HDR content, the over whelming majority liked the Sony image better. The comments were "more natural", "calmer", "less noise", "better motion", etc

Now, I haven't seen both together and I can't tell you anything about this guy or his customers but I think the Sony will hold it's own with the buying public. Those who have seen the new projectors say that the image is very good.

Mind you, the JVC 640K & 540K are great buys too. Nothing wrong with either choice at their price points.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I'm not sure what contrast were going to see until I get one. Seems like one German video measured around 8-9k:1
Ekki, measured it just under 18K:1 and said that on average it was the same as the 675. The DI however is not as aggressive but works extremely fast, smooth, and silent.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I understand what you are saying but at the same time people are wanting to move on from eshift projection.

There is one video going around with a dealer who sells both JVC and Sony in Germany. He has a full theater set up with a JVC 640 and a Sony 385. When he has demoed both to people with 4K UHD HDR content, the over whelming majority liked the Sony image better. The comments were "more natural", "calmer", "less noise", "better motion", etc

Now, I haven't seen both together and I can't tell you anything about this guy or his customers but I think the Sony will hold it's own with the buying public. Those who have seen the new projectors say that the image is very good.

Mind you, the JVC 640K & 540K are great buys too. Nothing wrong with either choice at their price points.
As many on the forum have pointed out before, there is more money to be made selling Sony 4K projectors, especially in the US. I would always take a store room demo like that with a huge grain of salt. Many have even pointed out that the "shootout" done at CEDIA should also be taken with a huge grain of salt as it was put on by a projector manufacturer. Kris Deering pointed out that the 760ES/885ES was set up to show colors way more saturated than they should have been and that also Reality Creation was set up pretty high. These store demos usually have things set up in a way to accentuate certain aspects. There have been countless shootouts done by forum members and the results of those shootouts are the ones people should be using as a frame of reference, not one where there stands money to be made.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
So i asked scott about the banding problem with the sony and this is what he said, 'Regarding the 385 not being able to do 4K HDR at 60 Hz without banding, that's probably because the source device downshifted to 8 bits. I don't know for sure, but that would be my guess.'
Was that confirmed by juan?
That's what I am thinking too. I wonder if his cable is not 18Gbps certified. He said that it was certified for 4K but that doesn't mean anything. You can deliver 4K over a limited bandwidth cable.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
As many on the forum have pointed out before, there is more money to be made selling Sony 4K projectors, especially in the US. I would always take a store room demo like that with a huge grain of salt. Many have even pointed out that the "shootout" done at CEDIA should also be taken with a huge grain of salt as it was put on by a projector manufacturer. Kris Deering pointed out that the 760ES/885ES was set up to show colors way more saturated than they should have been and that also Reality Creation was set up pretty high. These store demos usually have things set up in a way to accentuate certain aspects. There have been countless shootouts done by forum members and the results of those shootouts are the ones people should be using as a frame of reference, not one where there stands money to be made.
Yeah, I agree. But for now this is all we have to go by until the projector gets into more hands and is thoroughly tested.

But Mike told me that he saw the demo of the 285 and thought that it threw a very nice image.

I would expect that it can hold it's own against the JVC even though compromises were made for cost reduction.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That's what I am thinking too. I wonder if his cable is not 18Gbps certified. He said that it was certified for 4K but that doesn't mean anything. You can deliver 4K over a limited bandwidth cable.
That is absolutely true! I really hope that's the case, and maybe if he tries with a full bandwidth cable it eliminates the banding!

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
The P3 saturation @ 100% doesn't tell the whole story, the majority of real content is well below.

he demonstrates the default saturation tracking below 100%

This isn't bad but could definitely use some tuning.

He was disappointed with the default HDR gamma curve, it's quite a bit off from the expected ST2084 EOTF curve.

Some tweaks with the built in controls help in the low end but still a gap in the mid range and high end

JVC out of the box is near perfect

he encourages end users to contact Sony for either a firmware or software update to help better shape the curve.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
That is absolutely true! I really hope that's the case, and maybe if he tries with a full bandwidth cable it eliminates the banding!
Did you see where one German video measured input lag in gaming mode at 10 ms? That is really great. I haven't seen any projectors that low before.

He said in any of the other modes the input lag jumped up to 33 ms. But in 4K HDR10 gaming mode it was only 10 ms.

There was also a comment made that this is a true gaming projector and that games look stunning. They did mention banding in some games on some scenes but it sounded like over all the experience was great.

401 - 420 of 3723 Posts