AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen any early reviews on this? Is it the same as the Pearl? Was waiting to see if this would be a good option for me. I am between the Epson pro cinema 1080 ub and a sony. Not sure which would be better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I finally decided yesterday to go with the 1080ub--two man reasons being net cost with current rebate included of $2550 vs Sony $2999 and the positive comments from the two reviews to date on the 1080ub at projectorreviews and projectorcentral which I read to put the 1080ub over the pearl -especially for HDTV viewing in non Batcave conditions-My tracking number shows my delivery set for tomorrow, so I'll update feelings once its in hand

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am curious to see reviews of the VW40 as well. If it performs as well as the VW50 with the iris tweaks from the VW60, it could be a very good alternative to the 3LCDs. Although the 1080UB, AE2000U, HC6000 and the Z2000 all have their good points and good bang for the buck, as a long term FP enthusiast, I won't forget the issues with dust blobs and polarizers I've run into in the past with 3LCD (and reading through some of the recent threads, I see things haven't changed much.)

Until I see a sealed system, I wouldn't buy a 3LCD again myself, so I'm interested in the VW40, although the panel alignment feature in the VW60 covers that other possible 3 panel flaw - misalignment.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I noticed that this projector is starting to be listed as in-stock around the internet. Hoping for a review soon here or elsewhere. It looks like it could be the price/performance champ...

Cheers,

Sam

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Im hoping for a review too. I just hope it is not a re-badged VW50. In that case id spend the extra money on the VW60. Cant wait for a review!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzovich /forum/post/12957213

According to the Operating Instructions (available here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...pl?mdl=VPLVW40 ) input mode #14 is 1080/24p.

I mean does it display as a multiple of 24 frames per sec (3:3, 4:4, etc. pull down) or not? Thanks!

What about the extended colorspace supported like some of the HDMI 1.3 capable displays/projectors have? Well, I guess there is current no source that make use of that but I usually keep stuffs longer than some of you do
so I'd like to make sure my purchase is a bit more future-proof.

I was going to get the Epson 1080UB but I think I will wait a bit for this to come out. If the Canadian MSRP of the VW60 is an indicator these 2 should be priced very close up North.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 /forum/post/12958428

What about the extended colorspace supported like some of the HDMI 1.3 capable displays/projectors have? Well, I guess there is current no source that make use of that but I usually keep stuffs longer than some of you do
so I'd like to make sure my purchase is a bit more future-proof.

The current crop of Sony HD Camcorders record with xvColor (Sony's brand of xvYCC) and I believe some BluRay players have xvColor playback ability as well. So you can definitely take advantage of extended colorspace if you create the content yourself. However, I couldn't find anything in the specs for the VW40 that indicates that it supports xvColor, so it doesn't look like it supports xvColor.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Looking at the manual a little closer it shows the output sync for 1080/24p at 23.976 Hz and 48 Hz for 1080/24PsF (Progressive Segmented Frames).

Will displaying 1080/24p @ the native refresh rate be a problem (e.g. flickers)? I think even movie theaters are actually showing 24 frame/sec films @ 48Hz or something. Am I correct? I know this is Sony's "low cost" LCoS and I don't expect a 120Hz refresh rate model but I'd like to know how this will be handled by the VW40.

Also, I hope this will support xvColor. May be they will make some games in xvColor on the PS3 later, who knows?

Anyhow, I guess I will wait until more info is available (and possibly a review) before making a decision. A "low cost" LCoS sounds like a good deal to me at this point

·
Banned
1,110 Posts
THe VW40 supports "24p true cinema" according to their specs. I'd assume that means native 24fps, but we all know what happens when you assume. I'll try to get a definitive answer other than the marketing one.

Also includes the Advanced Iris 2.

Richard

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard /forum/post/12966154

THe VW40 supports "24p true cinema" according to their specs. I'd assume that means native 24fps, but we all know what happens when you assume. I'll try to get a definitive answer other than the marketing one.

Also includes the Advanced Iris 2.

Richard

Thanks! I hate those marketing jargons! Can't they release some real technical data to us?

The same advanced iris 2 on the new ones like VW60?

I guess a Sony at this price I can't ask for everything (xvColor, etc.)...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P /forum/post/12966731

Has anyone ordered this pj yet? I am curious to see how it compares to the 50 and 60.

Me too. I've narrowed it down to the Epson Pro 1080 ub and possibly this Sony. Don't want to get the Epson if the Sony will be as good/better.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm also interested in this projector for the price.

According to the warranty card @ Sony esupport it states 1 year parts and labor and 90day lamp.True!

·
Banned
1,110 Posts
I've emailed our Sony rep and will get more info as I have it. If anyone else knows more feel free to chime in. We're going to Vegas in February to go through training on all these anyway so by THEN, I'll make sure to find out what we don't already know!

Richard

·
Registered
412 Posts
Should this conversation be moved to the "under 3K" catagory? There is already a thread for it there and I think that's where most people (including myself) will be looking for info.

Crazy suggestion, I know, but it *is* a sub 3k projector!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Mojo,

I'd prefer to stay over here. I tried to read that thread and it was torture. There was at least a page that was completely OT about Saab automobiles. The rest was all speculation about what the street price might be. I'm hoping to find out how this PJ compares to it's pricier competition and I think the best hope for finding that out would be here. This is the $3k and up forum and to me $2995 qualifies.

Thanks!

Sam

·
Registered
41 Posts
count me in, i am definitely very interested in this pj...

it is current 5:51am January 31st and this item is on backorder according to sonystyle.com

has anyone here ordered one?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts