AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question for you guys;

Does the Sony VPL-VW50 support 1080p48 input on its HDMI inputs? I know that is supports 1080p24, 1080p50 and 1080p60, but does it do 1080p48? This is not listed in the specs... Has anyone tried it?

The reason I ask is because the Optoma HD3000 scaler does not output 1080p24, only 1080p48. I am considering this scaler for a 2,35:1 CIH setup...

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
The Pearl can accept a 1080/48p signal from some processors (e.g., iScan VP30), but not from others (e.g., Crystalio II). If the signal is accepted, it is displayed at its native frame rate (as opposed to being converted to another frame rate such as 50Hz or 60Hz).

The Info menu will label it 1080/50p because 1080/50p is the "preset signal" that is most similar to 1080/48p. This is normal. It is merely a label. The Pearl is not converting 1080/48p to 1080/50p.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/0

The Pearl can accept a 1080/48p signal from some processors (e.g., iScan VP30), but not from others (e.g., Crystalio II). If the signal is accepted, it is displayed at its native frame rate (as opposed to being converted to another frame rate such as 50Hz or 60Hz).

The Info menu will label it 1080/50p because 1080/50p is the "preset signal" that is most similar to 1080/48p. This is normal. It is merely a label. The Pearl is not converting 1080/48p to 1080/50p.

Are you sure of this ?

In my case (Pearl + VP50) I'm absolutely not sure the pearl did'nt convert all kind of signals to 60 Hz.

Of course it accept 24 hz, 48 hz (with 50 Hz displayed as you said) and 60 hz.

but I've been testing it since 3 months and I did'nt find a way to bypass the internal scaler.

I've send an e-mail to Sony and did'nt get any answer. I've been in touch with Sony PrimeSupport without any success. It looks like no one knows how to bypass the internal scaler.

hope you will help me

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman06 /forum/post/0

...but I've been testing it since 3 months and I did'nt find a way to bypass the internal scaler.

Did you turn overscan off in the projector setup? I get a 1:1 pixel mapping from my Lumagen HDQ into the Pearl - that to me pretty much meets the definition of bypassing the Pearl scaler. As to the 48hz being silently converted to 60hz by the Pearl - I don't see that effect on my setup. I send a 1080p48 signal to my Pearl and it clearly looks different/better than when I send a 60p signal.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts

Quote:

Are you sure of this ?

When I tested 1080/48p from a VP30, I'm sure that the Pearl displayed it at 48Hz, not at 60Hz.
Quote:

In my case (Pearl + VP50) I'm absolutely not sure the pearl did'nt convert all kind of signals to 60 Hz.

What are you seeing that makes you not sure?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased my pearl and i have not been able to output at 1080p from my VP30. When i set my VP30 to that output i get red lines running thru the picture. 720p and 1080i are fine. I'm running DVI with an adapter to HDMI and i'm wondering if that could be part of the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/0

The current Crystalio II firmware works fine with the Pearl in 48Hz cadance lock mode.

Yes the Pearl supports native 48Hz HDMI input even though it show the signal as 50Hz!

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/0

Did you turn overscan off in the projector setup? I get a 1:1 pixel mapping from my Lumagen HDQ into the Pearl - that to me pretty much meets the definition of bypassing the Pearl scaler. As to the 48hz being silently converted to 60hz by the Pearl - I don't see that effect on my setup. I send a 1080p48 signal to my Pearl and it clearly looks different/better than when I send a 60p signal.

Also works fine for me with Lumagen HPD at 1080/48p + genlock. Motion is smother i.e no judder with HD DVD.

Dazzer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.