AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I had a question on the Sony pearl and screen size. I want to do a 110 16:9 screen and have the first row of seats 11.5' and a riser with the 2nd row just about to the wall. The riser would be 5.5'feet wide and about 8 high. The room is 17'5x17x8'6. There are no windows and the room will be fully light controlled. Back to the screen question, I was thinking of using a FireHawk SST which has a gain of 1.1. Now when I went to projectorcentral.cxm and used there calculator it says I should need a gain of at least 1.3. I have never owned a projector and am having trouble determining how this Gain really affects the picture. I do realize that it can make the picture brighter but at what cost or trade off I am not sure. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

I will take some pictures tonight of the room and a rough skech of what I am planning on doing.

Michael

·
Registered
848 Posts
I believe a gain of 1.3 is considered the maximum acceptable value that will not introduce hot spotting. I have used a 110" Draper screen with 1.3 gain for 8 years with a Dwin CRT projector. When I replaced it with a Pearl about 1 week ago, I continued to use the same screen.

John

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I use a Dalite 1.3 material at 104" with my Pearl and it is more than bright enough even in low lamp mode. The Pearl has good enough blacks that you do not need a gray screen but something of a pure white will be a good match.

Nate

·
Registered
596 Posts
My room is 20x11 with the projector on the far wall. 104" Carada Brilliant White (think they say 1.4 gain, but may be a bit less).

Very happy with the brightness and contrast. Throws a great picture. You should be fine with your set up.

Ed

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your room dimensions are almost the same as mine, since my room is about 17 x 18. My first row is about 11 feet from the screen and I am using a Sony Pearl with a Carada 100 inch BW Precision screen. It has a 1.3 gain and the picture is more than bright enough on low lamp mode. I would suspect that even on a 110 inch screen the picture should be fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nomarian, do you have 2 rows of seats, thats what i was planning. the one concern I had was if 11' for the first row was to close, i dont think it is with a 110" and 1080p, but if you are running a simliar scenario, are you happy with your set up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm using a Da-Lite High Power 119" diagonal. I'm running the Pearl in low lamp mode and the picture is superb. The Pearl is mounted 14.5 feet from the screen. My first seating row is at 15 feet. However, the picture is so sharp and detailed that you can sit 12 or 13 feet away and it will be stunning with good source material. However, a high power Da-Lite screen requires that the Pearl be mounted properly to realize the full potential of the screen. See Bob Sorel's projector mounting tutorial for some great advice and insight on what's important when deciding screen size, type and projector mounting.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hoko222,

I am running two rows of couches, not seats, but it is basically the same thing. The 100 inch screen is more than large enough for the room and I don't see the need to go any larger. I mostly sit on the front couch to watch movies, but my kids like the back row much better. It might depend on how old you are and how your eyes are doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.