AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Pearl thread is large to say the least, so I'm just going to ask.


I have the Pearl, it's everything I dreamed of. I'm looking into getting a low end Toshiba HD-DVD player when they go on sale this weekend with the instant $100 off in-store.


Originally I thought that the pearl, when set to Film Mode, would detect a 1080p/24 film source in a 1080i/60 signal coming into the projector and then, convert that to 1080p/24 and display it at 96hz.


Did I get this wrong? My Comcast box output 1080i/60 and many of the high def television shows (99% of them?) I heard are 1080p/24 encoded for 1080i/60 output. The movies I watch on TNTHD, HBOHD are for certain.


Well it certainly looks like the projector is figuring this out correctly, and displaying at 96hz, because most HD sources through the comcast box come out butter smooth on vertical pans etc.


The thing is, the Pearl as far as I can tell, only shows you the input signal, i.e. 1080i, and not wether it is successfully outputing film source at 96hz. Is there a service menu to verify this?


Can the Pearl even do this 1080i/60 film source to 1080p/96 ? Because if it does this correctly, there is not sense on me spending $800 for the 1080p/24 Toshiba player if the projector can put the interlaced film source back together properly and display it at 96hz. The more expensive player would not give men any better picture from what I can tell, transport format be damned.


Anyone know?


-James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacdonald801 /forum/post/0


Because if it does this correctly, there is not sense on me spending $800 for the 1080p/24 Toshiba player if the projector can put the interlaced film source back together properly and display it at 96hz.

Unfortunately, no current Toshiba player outputs 1080p24, only 1080p60. BD players, on the other hand, generally do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacdonald801 /forum/post/0


Can the Pearl even do this 1080i/60 film source to 1080p/96 ?

No, the Pearl cannot do that.


When the source is 1080i60 with 2-3 pulldown, the Pearl detects the 2-3 pulldown and properly weaves the fields together to form progressive frames, but it displays them at 1080p60 with 2-3 pulldown.


When the source is 1080p24 or 1080p48, the motion is noticeably smoother.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/0


No, the Pearl cannot do that.


When the source is 1080i60 with 2-3 pulldown, the Pearl detects the 2-3 pulldown and properly weaves the fields together to form progressive frames, but it displays them at 1080p60 with 2-3 pulldown.


When the source is 1080p24 or 1080p48, the motion is noticeably smoother.

Well it does seem kind of stupid that if the Pearls de-cinterlacer can weave it back together, then why doesn't it display it at 96hz? I guess you can't have everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I've an Optoma HD3000 VP to feed my Sony Pearl. When I set the output on my VP to 1080/48p the Sony display the picture from the middle of screen and out to the right hand side of my 100" screen. I only got full screen when I set the output to 1080/50p and 1080/60p.

Is there a workaround for this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightScope /forum/post/0


I've an Optoma HD3000 VP to feed my Sony Pearl. When I set the output on my VP to 1080/48p the Sony display the picture from the middle of screen and out to the right hand side of my 100" screen. I only got full screen when I set the output to 1080/50p and 1080/60p.

Is there a workaround for this problem.

Sure - there is a 4-way image position adjustment control in the Pearl menu - use that to center the image. I had to move my image position significantly when using 24p or 48p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/0


Sure - there is a 4-way image position adjustment control in the Pearl menu - use that to center the image. I had to move my image position significantly when using 24p or 48p.

Thanks alot :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Hi

I've done the adjustment but I'm still 1/6 from the edge of the left hand side of the screen. I've set the shift (Horizontal) to zero.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
604 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just needed to make sure I understand this correctly. So, a Pearl's display frequency will be whatever fps it receives, or a multiple of it?


1080i/60 is displayed as 1080p/60, correct?

1080p/24 is displayed as 1080p/96, correct?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top