32db super quiet
Shipping January
Slightly larger than 1100ES
110V Power

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't that the same specs as the G270? But 10k retail more expensive than the G?
Looks to be the same unit just tailored to high-end residential market.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I wonder if they'll release this in Japan. If so and they keep the same kind of premium pricing percentage for the US as for some of their other models a person might come out ahead flying back and forth to Japan to buy one and then for any warranty work, if necessary. :)

--Darin

·
Premium Member
JVC Z1, SI PW 150", MX160, M.L. 535H, Meridian 559, 2 x Sherbourne 2-160, REVEL Studio2,Gem2,Voice2
3,473 Posts
Cool... But feeling rather deflated re price. Oh well I guess we all half expected that kind of pricing for Sony laser. My 1100 won't be going anywhere fast I guess!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wonder if they'll release this in Japan. If so and they keep the same kind of premium pricing percentage for the US as for some of their other models a person might come out ahead flying back and forth to Japan to buy one and then for any warranty work, if necessary. :)

--Darin
Classic economics my friend...well said

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sony 4K Laser
5000 Lumens
$60K price
HDR
32db super quiet
Shipping January
Slightly larger than 1100ES
110V Power
How much larger is this than 1100ES? Is the new Sim2 Laser PJ on display at CEDIA? (the one that took them 3 years of R&D to develop it although still 1080p)...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Does the 5000 have lens options? I think I read the 270 had a 0.8x short throw lens option.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is a BlueLaser Phosphor light source. 5000L with the SXRD chip is a good mix. You should get killer contrast. THis should be a good product. As for REC 2020 emulation that's news. Laser Phosphor has issues exoending the color gammut. I am curious to see how they do this. Me beleif is only RGB Laser can acheive this nativly but I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
CEDIA: Sony launches VW-5000, HT version of the G270 LASER-Phosphor projector

The 'emulation' we discussed when it was introduced with the G270. Sony announced it does full P3, adding that "by taking advantage of its professional calibration tools the VPL-VW5000ES allows the user to choose to emulate the BT.2020 color space, as well. This ensures compatibility with upcoming home video formats".

I.e it does not offer the full colourgamut, but its electronics allow for input of at least the 2020 container that can carry regular 709 gamut or P3, or the full 2020 xyz co-ordinates.

Marc is right that it should offer better on-off than the Barco 6K lumens DLP, or the 1200:1 Christie G series, single DLP LASER-Phosphor projectors.

Edit it does indeed, that's what we concluded from yesterdays'spec, image from Walter The Lion, and today's product picture provided by Sony. Wolfgang posted the video, while i was typing my post, he beat me to it, though the link above posted the image before that, lol.

It is about 3-4 times the VW-1100, 'slightly';-).

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I just came back from demo at cedia, the projector is fantastic!!!! Love it

No color filter needed for P3 so 5000 lumen P3 high contrast.

·
Hello, World!
2,464 Posts
Now we need real world details.

The piggy bank is looking very nervous....

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just came back from demo at cedia, the projector is fantastic!!!! Love it

No color filter needed for P3 so 5000 lumen P3 high contrast.

I am definitely in on this! This projector is the first to check off just about every item on my list.

Plenty of brightness for a 14' wide or larger screen. 4K res. high contrast. great optics. reasonably sized. laser illumination. HDR. simulated Rec2020. with true DCI P3.

Considering all the features, I think its extremely reasonably priced.

Reactions: smit1001
1 - 20 of 2244 Posts