AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All

I have been using a Lumagen Vision HDP with my CRT projector, and been very pleased with the combination.

I am now building a completely new theater (different house), and I am about to buy a Sony VPL-VW60 projector and sell off the CRT (not an easy decision, but in the end I think designing the room around a smaller projector is a better long term strategy).

My question is this:

Should I keep my Lumagen Vision HDP? Is the scaling and processing in the Sony projector (and Denon 4803ci receiver I eventually plan to get) good enough that the Lumagen is redundant?

What about anamorphic squeeze?

It would make my CRT easier to sell if I include the Lumagen, cables, and screen as a package, plus if I am going to sell the Lumagen I might as well sell it now while it is still a current model.

Of course, freeing up the cash to put towards my new construction is not a bad thing either.

I am really on the fence with this one...

Any thoughts or comments are most welcome!

Cheers,

Doug

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Well it is a really good VP, but it doesn't have as many DVI inputs as I would like, but I guess it all depends on what you will be running with it. I think it will have a better Scaler than the VW60. It can do the squeeze stuff too. I don't know if the Sony has any stretch or squeeze settings however so I can't help with that one.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorefours /forum/post/13011285

Hi, All

I have been using a Lumagen Vision HDP with my CRT projector, and been very pleased with the combination.

I am now building a completely new theater (different house), and I am about to buy a Sony VPL-VW60 projector and sell off the CRT (not an easy decision, but in the end I think designing the room around a smaller projector is a better long term strategy).

My question is this:

Should I keep my Lumagen Vision HDP? Is the scaling and processing in the Sony projector (and Denon 4803ci receiver I eventually plan to get) good enough that the Lumagen is redundant?

What about anamorphic squeeze?

It would make my CRT easier to sell if I include the Lumagen, cables, and screen as a package, plus if I am going to sell the Lumagen I might as well sell it now while it is still a current model.

Of course, freeing up the cash to put towards my new construction is not a bad thing either.

I am really on the fence with this one...

Any thoughts or comments are most welcome!

Cheers,

Doug

i used a HDP with VW50 ..and when i changed to VW60 upgarded to the radiance. I see a lot of value in lumgen paired with a projector.

even if you choose to use your AVR as the HDMI swichter/scaler ... ...i would keep the HDP for it's CMS to dial in perfect colors and greyscale on the VW60.

with CMS just added to the HDP it's a screaming bargain as the most cheapest way to get a full featured CMS for $1200 .... and I don't think you'd have any problems selling it used either now or even 6 months from now ....

btw, i love the picture from the VW60 with a radiance ..it is just so much better than just driving the VW60 directly through the sources ...PM me if you're interested in getting some measurements of a VW60 greyscale and color tracking with and without a radiance ..i bet you'd see a similar difference if you hooked up your HDP with the VW60 ....

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It is nice to hear of the Radiance improvement with the VW60.

See if I were spending your money, I would sell the HDP with the projector and then reinvest in the Radiance.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron /forum/post/13016734

See if I were spending your money, I would sell the HDP with the projector and then reinvest in the Radiance.

Take his advice, And ... um ... sell the HDP to me. Please.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback so far, much appreciated.

I don't think the upgrade to a Radiance will happen right now. WAY too much money involved in completing the new room...the only reason I am changing projectors is so I can design the new room around a smaller (non-CRT) projector...seems like the wisest long term strategy...otherwise I would happily keep the CRT for another few years, for sure.

I am leaning towards keeping the Lumagen at this point. I think the Sony VW-60 will be challenged to meet my PQ expectations in comparison to CRT, so any help it can get is a good thing...:)

Thanks again,

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts