AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I didn't see a topic dedicated to this comparison. These are my two final contenders and am looking for feedback from people who have seen both. I'm leaning towards the Sony for the panel convergence feature and sealed light path, but which would you choose and why? My theater is 14'x23'x7'10" and is completely light controlled and painted very dark colors. I have a Carada Brilliant White 110" 1.4 gain screen. The pj will be mounted 15' back from the screen. Good detail and pop as well as black levels are my most important criteria.

·
Registered
825 Posts
lol.. I just tried to make that same thread and it told me that one existed. I too am interested in feedback. These are the final two that I am considering also.

my room is 19x16x7.5ish
with dark colors and the windows have room darkening blinds. There will still be some ambient light in the room. (not a dedicated HT)..

Hope this is not a hijack. Just wanted to add my info also.

I am leaning towards the 1080UB due to the 1600lumens

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I can tell you both that the rated 1600 lumens does not translate to real world lumens. Actually the Sony and Epson are nearly the same in regards to light output. Both are excellent...and the Epson is indeed cheaper which is an advantage. The Sony (at least in my opinion) is somewhat better if you don't mind the added premium in price.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the opinion. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. The price diiference doesn't matter to me - I just want the best overall pj for under the $5k price point. With that in mind, you think the Sony is definitely the better machine?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick.s /forum/post/12858784

The price diiference doesn't matter to me - I just want the best overall pj for under the $5k price point.

The BenQ W20000 will be out in a week or so within your price range and should give both a run for the money. I'm making the same decision you are and it isn't getting any easier.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch /forum/post/12858995

The BenQ W20000 will be out in a week or so within your price range and should give both a run for the money. I'm making the same decision you are and it isn't getting any easier.

I've seen mention of the BenQ 20000 but I didn't think it would be under $5K. Even if it is, my wife is VERY sensitive to rainbows (makes her really sick) so unless it has a 6x color wheel or faster it won't work for us.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am still trying to decide between 1080UB, W20000 and VW60. I am sure any one of them will be great.

I have the Mits HC5000, it recently developed a faint red band on the left hand size of the screen. My guess is the panel had degraded due to heat from long hours of use. 1080UB or any other LCD based projector may develop the same problem given my usage habbit.

The early preview of W20000 is very positive, even its little brother W5000 are getting some positive review from European users. Not to mention that W20000 is packed with features. Even though I never saw rainbow on DLP projectors but I mainly use the projector for gaming, which requires much more intense focus then movie viewing, and I am concerned that I may get headaches from gaming on DLP projector. But since the Canadian price for W20000 is so good I am almost willing to give it a try. VW60 has been on and off my list for various reasons but I gravitate toward it all the time. A few reviews have commented that the VW60 appear to be shifted toward yellow and the red may appear a little orange. Further comments suggest that changing the temp to medium will eliminate the yellow shift, also there were mentions of service menu hack that will make the white appear whiter, adding more punch and contrast.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
ed_t:

where in toronro can one see the BenQ?

thanks,

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep...

I have been in the EXACT same boat deciding upon a projector. One additional factor I had was 2.35"1 screen so internal scaling is a plus. I started with the usual suspects (AE2000, 1080UB, VW60) and crossed off the Pany due to huge number of quality problems even though it does have the scaling I need. I have seen the three multiple times but not side by side.

Then there were two... With the AVS credit on the 1080UB pro + external scaler the $'s are very close between it and the Sony. I find myself comparing everything to the Sony, always have so I made the decision that on Monday Rich at AVS gets the order!

I feel at peace now... one of the Sony benifits I think.

Mark

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marldonnaharris /forum/post/12860883

Yep...

I have been in the EXACT same boat deciding upon a projector. One additional factor I had was 2.35"1 screen so internal scaling is a plus. I started with the usual suspects (AE2000, 1080UB, VW60) and crossed off the Pany due to huge number of quality problems even though it does have the scaling I need. I have seen the three multiple times but not side by side.

Then there were two... With the AVS credit on the 1080UB pro + external scaler the $'s are very close between it and the Sony. I find myself comparing everything to the Sony, always have so I made the decision that on Monday Rich at AVS gets the order!

I feel at peace now... one of the Sony benifits I think.

Mark

Let us know how ya like it!!

I demoed the Sony again today for the second time in two weeks. I think I am decided. Now I want to just take one more look at my friends AE-2000. After tomorrow, I think I will make my decision.

Craig

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you think you are ever going to go 'scope - the Sony is a winner

If price isn't an issue - the Sony is definately a better machine overall - the Epson is excellent bang for your buck though

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great post, I was just reading sound and vision. They were raving about the sony.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zductive /forum/post/12865807

Craig

I hope that you read Art's review of the 1080 ub before you buy the Sony.

Yes, I have seen the 1080u review.

The projector does sound like an impressive projector.

But part of the reasoning for me getting the Sony is the fact that there seem to be less issues with it.

The AE-2000 seems to have issues with dust.

The 1080u seems to have convergance issues that can not be adjusted.

The VW60 can be adjusted.

Craig

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 /forum/post/12874012

Yes, I have seen the 1080u review.

The 1080u seems to have convergence issues that can not be adjusted.

The VW60 can be adjusted.

Craig

Though the VW60 is my likely choice of all the boxen in this price range be aware that the technique utilized to "correct" convergence issues is not ideal.

It is not mechanical and relies on sampling two adjacent pixels and adjusting the relative brightness between the two (interpolation?). The result is there is a trade-off in practical "sharpness" as has been mentioned on other threads by Mark Haflich and usualsuspects. Somewhat counter-intuitive.

ted

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted /forum/post/12874620

Though the VW60 is my likely choice of all the boxen in this price range be aware that the technique utilized to "correct" convergence issues is not ideal.

It is not mechanical and relies on sampling two adjacent pixels and adjusting the relative brightness between the two (interpolation?). The result is there is a trade-off in practical "sharpness" as has been mentioned on other threads by Mark Haflich and usualsuspects. Somewhat counter-intuitive.

ted

Yes, but at least it allows for adjustment.

If the 1080u is not aligned, what then??

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Quote:

The result is there is a trade-off in practical "sharpness" as has been mentioned on other threads by Mark Haflich and usualsuspects. Somewhat counter-intuitive.

Hmmmm...

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:

The question is not if the 0.1 pixel convergence control is "ideal", the question should be does it produce a sharper/more detailed image than a misconverged image. It appears to!

The good news is that AFAIK there has been no reports of najor convergence needed on the VW60!

·
Registered
438 Posts

Quote:

ted

I read on another site that to get the best convergence adjustment you may want to use your own test pattern in combination with the VW60's test pattern. I am still debating between the W20000 and VW60. But if I get the VW60 I'll definitely give it a try. If you are getting a VW60 where are you planning on getting it from ?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts