AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
Paid $4,000 grand for mine a few years ago, brand new. I've enjoyed it very much; moreso once professionaly calibrated.
what do u recommend as far as screen?

do u have any screen shots?

thanks

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
I would recommend a 106" to 110" Dalite HP screen. White if in a light controlled room and HC HP screen if in a room with some ambient light. I have viewed a VW60 on a 106" (2.8 gain) HP screen many times.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/20763857

thanks

118" Carada BW. Works nicely with the Black Pearl.

I don't have any screen shots saved on my computer, but I would bet a bit of AVS or Google searching would come up with some.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20763896

I would recommend a 106" to 110" Dalite HP screen. White if in a light controlled room and HC HP screen if in a room with some ambient light. I have viewed a VW60 on a 106" (2.8 gain) HP screen many times.

Did the HP turn the blacks gray?

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey /forum/post/20765675

Did the HP turn the blacks gray?

In his room it does during the day, because he has a lot of ambient light. At night time he has good blacks and good contrast. He uses his lamp in economy mode. I like to be able to use a projector in economy mode so that you can go to standard lamp mode once the lamp is around half used up. This way you can stay in best image (cinema) mode. Keep in mind that with the VW60 you want to have too many foot lamberts with the fixed iris fully open. That way you can close down the iris to set what ever black level that you want. You just don't want to be struggling to get enough brightness and not have a good way of increasing lumens. If the VW60 did not have a fixed iris then you could not do this.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20765928

In his room it does during the day, because he has a lot of ambient light. At night time he has good blacks and good contrast. He uses his lamp in economy mode. I like to be able to use a projector in economy mode so that you can go to standard lamp mode once the lamp is around half used up. This way you can stay in best image (cinema) mode. Keep in mind that with the VW60 you want to have too many foot lamberts with the fixed iris fully open. That way you can close down the iris to set what ever black level that you want. You just don't want to be struggling to get enough brightness and not have a good way of increasing lumens. If the VW60 did not have a fixed iris then you could not do this.

My calibrator, Chuck Williams, calibrated with the iris off, High lamp mode, and Wide color space. That's how he got the best results by ISF standards.

I've never seen red look better on this projector than after his calibration. Contrast and black detail also look very nice.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Chuck Williams brought a lot of talent so high lamp mode, wide color, iris off was just the beginning. I certainly agree with those settings though.

Check out the vw60 tweakers thread there must be a thousand posts. It's a great price. I even watch 3D blus on mine using 3D-VIP products.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey /forum/post/20767014

My calibrator, Chuck Williams, calibrated with the iris off, High lamp mode, and Wide color space. That's how he got the best results by ISF standards.

I've never seen red look better on this projector than after his calibration. Contrast and black detail also look very nice.

A Brilliant White 118" screen takes a lot more lumens to light up than a 2.8 gain 106" screen. I bet it looked great using high lamp mode.

·
Registered
960 Posts
That is a good deal, we also paid above $4k and have been VERY PLEASED with how well it has performed. The VW-60 is an outstanding projector, yes it is a few years old and there are better performers out there now but for $900 that is a very fair price given how few hours it hs on it.

As was mentioned, you would be wise to get it professionally calibrated. We did and it mad a BIG difference in the quality of the image it throws.

As for the screen, we own a STEWART Firehawk SST, tab-tensioned electriscreen. This screen was specifically designed for this projector and it was one of the best investments we have made... worth every penny.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I bought one from AVS a few months ago during their B-stock sale, and am thrilled! I use a Carada CCW 88" precision series.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ /forum/post/20773094

I bought one from AVS a few months ago during their B-stock sale, and am thrilled! I use a Carada CCW 88" precision series.

Yeah, that was a good deal. I talked my brother into getting one. I told him how to get into the service menu to check how many hours were actually on the projector and his only had 3 hours on it. If it would have worked in my room, I would have gotten one myself. Not enough lumens for my room on an AT screen.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/20773793

Yeah, that was a good deal. I talked my brother into getting one. I told him how to get into the service menu to check how many hours were actually on the projector and his only had 3 hours on it. If it would have worked in my room, I would have gotten one myself. Not enough lumens for my room on an AT screen.

I got into the service menu and mine had 3 hours as well. It wouldn't surprise me if the units were new, and went under 3 hours of tests at the factory. Either way, it's the best A/V deal I've ever gotten. My dad's projector is dying a slow, painful death, and I wish I would have gotten him one.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965
Is it worth $950 used with a couple hundred hours on it?
I paid $1440 used a year ago. Love it to death on my 79 inch tall and 12 foot wide Da lite High Power 2.8.

Blu rays sing on this baby.

I'm sitting way too close now though (7-9 feet), sorry I like all movie and no theater. My newer contact lenses and sitting twice as close as recomended is showing weaknesses in Direct TVs 720 broadcasts.

Any above average human will sheet when they see the quality of this projector, forgive my humor. It's freaken wonderful. I just need more wonderful with such a giant screen and sitting this close. VW60s rock!!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
domingos1965

SCREEN SHOTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTnSfDNI7wM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yoI4b6cruc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUeOMhYrNYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rJGk...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZfLo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNN5r...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMIpz...eature=related

The above were shot on a pocket 480 lines cam, can't see true quality the VW60 is putting out, but you can get an idea. The VW60 can hold this giant screen with ease.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ /forum/post/20773094

What was the cost of the b-stock unit? That a one time thing? I'm looking to upgrade from my old hs10 and torn between a used or something like an Epson 8700. Thanks

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucollar /forum/post/20790274

What was the cost of the b-stock unit? That a one time thing? I'm looking to upgrade from my old hs10 and torn between a used or something like an Epson 8700. Thanks

It was a one time special. The vw60's were $899. They went fast

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.