AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 15 x 20.5' home theater and got a VPL-VW600ES from AVS. (Thanks, Mike Garrett!) I'm now planning projector placement. I have a 158" 2.35:1 screen (biggest 2.35:1 that would fit my front wall), so I don't want to lose brightness. The minimum throw distance for a 158" 2.35:1 screen is 189", and with my PJ at my preferred location (the very back of the room), it's at 198", just 4.8% farther.

The ceiling is 10' tall (8'8" from top platform of stadium seating) and the screen center 5'4" above the floor, so with a ceiling mount I'd need a lot of vertical lens shift if I leave 7' of clearance above the top platform. The manual states that the projector can shift the image up to 85% of picture height above center or 80% below. My planned PJ location is within those limits, with my screen center at 63.7% of picture height below the lens (leaving 7' clearance for people walking under it). I'm leaning toward "shelf" mounting in a custom enclosure.

Does anyone know if vertical lens shift causes light or image quality loss (distortion, sharpness, chromatic aberration)? Will it make a difference whether it's upside down on a ceiling mount or right-side up on a high shelf/hush box (for a finished look rather than to cut down on noise)?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update. I just looked at the Quick Reference manual, and it recommends 11-7/8" clearance on both sides, 6" clearance above, 1 cm in back. That means with a 19.5" wide projector body, recommended clearance plus a little extra, my little "hush" box is 4' wide by 2' long by 18" tall! Maybe I'll just ceiling mount it; it is one of the prettier projectors out there. But I really hate the look of bare ceiling mounts, with all the folded metal, bolts, cables sticking out... I might still make my projector box just to hide the cables and avoid the mounting hardware mess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts