AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched AVS Forum as well as google to get impressions comparing these two projectors with very little success. These two projectors seem to be similarly featured with a substantial MSRP price difference of $5000, yet there are no threads comparing them that I can find.


For your $5000 price difference the VW85 offers:


1. Motorized lens.

2. 2.40:1 anamorphic lens mode.

3. 120 Hz MotionFlo

4. Better reported contrast ratio

5. Nicer cosmetic design


Assuming you do not need the anamorphic mode or care about the motorized lens, is the VW85 a substantially better projector with respect to image quality than the HW15, particularly in light of the large price differential? If you did a blinded image quality test comparing the two projectors, could you consistently pick out the more expensive projector?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,275 Posts
 http://www.projectorreviews.com/ - Has a nice review on each. However like most of his reviews parts have never been completed. Like where he was going to compare the two.
My take is if you are really into low black levels or CFI it might very well be worth the difference. Also I believe the VW85 allows you to adjust pixel alignment in zones versus the entire panel for the HW15.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
I have seen the HW15 but not in any great detail. Its very good but I think it did not have the level of clarity of the VW85 particularly with the CFI turned on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I have not seen the VW85 but just took delivery of an HW15 a few weeks ago. My previous projector was a CRT Dwin HD700, with excellent low black levels. The great low black levels of the Dwin are matched by the Sony HW15, and I'm thrilled. Plus the the clarity and sharpness of the picture is spectacular.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. As with most thing in the AV world, the base system gets you 90% of the functionality/performance and the remaining 10% costs 100+% more.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top