AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the Sony VPL-VW915ES laser projector and am trying to get it set-up. I am not using a dedicated theater room and have a recessed Da-Lite screen (133 diag size) that comes down from my 20 ft ceiling. The projector was to sit in a soffit about 18ft away. Unfortunately where the projector must go is about 1ft off-center from the middle of the screen. When we try to align the image on the screen its cockeyed (even if we use the lens shift). My AV guy is telling me that its because of the projector not being centered and the only way to normally fix this is by using a keystone adjustment on the projector. It doesnt seem like the Sony has this option, but I would hope a $20K projector could do this!. Is there any options here?

thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
785 Posts
Make sure the projector is perfectly perpendcular to the screen. That is, if the pj is one foot off center, the lens should be pointed to the spot one foot off center. Dont point it at the center of the screen. Then use the shift to bring it in line. If it is mounted perfectly square and level, it should line up perfectly...unless your screen is not perfectly flat. Also. if you are using all of the vertical shift, you wont be able to use horizontal shift as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the projector is perfectly perpendcular to the screen. That is, if the pj is one foot off center, the lens should be pointed to the spot one foot off center. Dont point it at the center of the screen. Then use the shift to bring it in line. If it is mounted perfectly square and level, it should line up perfectly...unless your screen is not perfectly flat. Also. if you are using all of the vertical shift, you wont be able to use horizontal shift as well.
Thanks, I know we need to use both horizontal + vertical shift (need to shift to left and down).To verify, the lens shift option that sony has, replaces the need to have a keystone option on it? I just want to make sure I dont need to replace this projector for one that has keystone.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I just purchased the Sony VPL-VW915ES laser projector and am trying to get it set-up. I am not using a dedicated theater room and have a recessed Da-Lite screen (133 diag size) that comes down from my 20 ft ceiling. The projector was to sit in a soffit about 18ft away. Unfortunately where the projector must go is about 1ft off-center from the middle of the screen. When we try to align the image on the screen its cockeyed (even if we use the lens shift). My AV guy is telling me that its because of the projector not being centered and the only way to normally fix this is by using a keystone adjustment on the projector. It doesnt seem like the Sony has this option, but I would hope a $20K projector could do this!. Is there any options here?

thanks,
Rob
In addition to the previous response, projectors of this calibre don't have keystone adjustment as it brings too much compromise to the image thrown.
Due diligence needs to be done before an install to make sure that screen location and projector fall within each others parameters.
There is a large amount of lens shift in these projectors but it only works in an octagonal pattern as below:
shift range.jpg

If you can't get it centred within that range of movement (bearing in mind also that extreme lens shift WILL affect the sharpness of the lens focus) then it simply will not work.
In that instance, you really need to move your screen or your projector so they are more aligned centrally I am afraid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In addition to the previous response, projectors of this calibre don't have keystone adjustment as it brings too much compromise to the image thrown.
Due diligence needs to be done before an install to make sure that screen location and projector fall within each others parameters.
There is a large amount of lens shift in these projectors but it only works in an octagonal pattern as below:
View attachment 3077271
If you can't get it centred within that range of movement (bearing in mind also that extreme lens shift WILL affect the sharpness of the lens focus) then it simply will not work.
In that instance, you really need to move your screen or your projector so they are more aligned centrally I am afraid.
thanks, its almost like something isnt aligned. Like the left side of the picture on the screen is ok, but as you move from left to right it gets off alignment. I can try putting a level on the projector when its sitting in the soffit, as well as a level on the screen to make sure. What else should I try?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
thanks, its almost like something isnt aligned. Like the left side of the picture on the screen is ok, but as you move from left to right it gets off alignment. I can try putting a level on the projector when its sitting in the soffit, as well as a level on the screen to make sure. What else should I try?
Can you fit the entire image inside the border of the screen? That is the first question.
The projector should ideally be level on all axis. Even after that you may find that it is your screen that is off.
Try moving the end of the screen that is wrong closer to (or further away if you can) from the projector to see if that helps.
If the image is smaller at one end than the other then that end is nearer to the lens than the rest.
Always adjust your zoom so the image is a decent amount inside your screen border when positioning as well. That helps.
As would some pictures of what you are seeing if you can. :)

·
Registered
30,248 Posts

thanks,
Rob
I am pretty sure the projector just will not work with your situation, but need to know a few things.

1. Distance from ceiling to top of image or floor to top of image, specify which measurement you are providing?
2. Distance from ceiling to projector lens center or floor to projector lens center, specify which measurement you are providing?
3. Image size?
4. How far off center horizontally?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am pretty sure the projector just will not work with your situation, but need to know a few things.

1. Distance from ceiling to top of image or floor to top of image, specify which measurement you are providing?
2. Distance from ceiling to projector lens center or floor to projector lens center, specify which measurement you are providing?
3. Image size?
4. How far off center horizontally?
Here is what I have:
1. Distance from floor to top of image - 115"
2. Distance from floor to projector lens center - 126"
3. Image size - 132.97 DIAG (116" X 65")
4. How far off center horizontally - apx 14" off center

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yeah, I think I was right. Keep in mind the numbers in the manuals are not precise. With the everything centered, you should be able to shift the image down 52", so the pj can be 19.5 inches above the top edge of the screen. Also, the horizontal shift should be 36". Your measurements of 11" vertical, and 14" horizontal would clearly work individually, but its the combination of the two where things get wonky. You are using a bit more than half of the vertical shift, and a bit less than half of the horizontal shift. Taking into account manufacturing tolerances, it wouldnt be surprising if it will not work.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The Sony manual clearly shows maximum shift capabilities, but not when both H and V shift are used. I checked the manual for my JVC 4910(known to have a very large lens shift range)l, just to see how it would handle it, and it might not either. Its the same vertical(80%) but has a bit more horizontal(34% vs 31%).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Sony manual clearly shows maximum shift capabilities, but not when both H and V shift are used. I checked the manual for my JVC 4910(known to have a very large lens shift range)l, just to see how it would handle it, and it might not either. Its the same vertical(80%) but has a bit more horizontal(34% vs 31%).
Would it help if I tilted the projector downward some (vs using all the vertical shift). Right now its complete level both vertically + horizontally

·
Registered
785 Posts
No, because then the bottom of the image would be wider than the top, a trapezoid. Since you have a 20' ceiling, cant you just raise the screen up a bit, until you have enough horizontal range to align it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a picture of the grid (shifted max left and downward). You can see how it goes offline as you go from left to right
IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg

·
Registered
785 Posts
You have a seious alignment problem there. If it were just a matter of not having enough horizontal shift, the image would be square, just shifted slightly to one side. if the projector is just right of center, and you twisted it to the left to align the left edge, the left edge should be taller than the right. Yours is opposite. You need to make sure that the pj is not only level, but perfectly perpendicular to the screen. So, if you have a line coming straight off the screen at a right angle it would be parrallel to a line coming straight off the pj lens at a right angle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, because then the bottom of the image would be wider than the top, a trapezoid. Since you have a 20' ceiling, cant you just raise the screen up a bit, until you have enough horizontal range to align it?
I can raise the screen up, but doing it more than 1-2 inches would impact how people in chair would view (they would need to look up more vs straight). I could also maybe try to lower/cut the floor that the projector is sitting in (inside the soffit in the pic below). I probably have a few inches. Thoughts?
IMG_0524.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You have a seious alignment problem there. If it were just a matter of not having enough horizontal shift, the image would be square, just shifted slightly to one side. if the projector is just right of center, and you twisted it to the left to align the left edge, the left edge should be taller than the right. Yours is opposite. You need to make sure that the pj is not only level, but perfectly perpendicular to the screen. So, if you have a line coming straight off the screen at a right angle it would be parrallel to a line coming straight off the pj lens at a right angle. View attachment 3077368
Ok, so are you saying I need to adjust the angle that the projector is sitting in inside the soffit (either shifting it some to left or right) to get it parallel? Then I can work on the shifting?

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you taped a piece of string to the front wall at screen center(left to right), and stretched it to the back wall, and made sure it was at a 90 degree andle to the front wall, wherever the string ends up, is the "middle" of your shift range. The pj lens would have to be, just guessing, 6-8 inches from that spot, with hte body of the pj, perfectly inline with that string.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts