AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That looks like you are shooting from the corner of the room. Can you do a quick sketch to show the room layout?
It not the corner, but definitely about 16" off center. I took a pic from behind the screen (dead center of screen), pointing straight to the soffit so u can see how its offset some

·
Registered
785 Posts
That looks like a lot more than 16" to me. if thats dead center, pointing straight out, it looks more like 30". I dont hink youll be able to find any projector that will work in that location.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'd build a new soffit in the hallway to the right of the ladder. Should be fine there.
yeah, now its a question of either building a new soffit or swapping the projector out with one that has has keystone that I can adjust the image with

·
Registered
785 Posts
Youre probably not gonna find a high end pj with keystone. So youll be getting a much less refined picture, and then seriously reducing that by using a lot of keystone. That’s if you can even find one with enough keystone to work in your room.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Youre probably not gonna find a high end pj with keystone. So youll be getting a much less refined picture, and then seriously reducing that by using a lot of keystone. That’s if you can even find one with enough keystone to work in your room.
Yeah, I would hate to downgrade from the Sony as I think it will give me an awesome picture. I want to keep the same design/curve I have with the soffit. If I extend the top curve (where the projector opening is now) all the way to the end of that wall I can get dead center (horizontally). What about vertically? I dont want to go lower that where that ceiling is now. I can bring the projector down a few inches, but will still need to probably use the vertical lens shift . Will that mess up the pic?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Keep in mind that in general, lenses are not as good around the edges as in the middle. Now i’ve never owned a $20k pj before, but in lesser pjs, there is more of a chance of distortion , the more you utilize the outer edges of the lens, when you use the extreme limits of the lens shift. But, you really don’t have a choice. Most likely it will be fine.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
thanks, its almost like something isnt aligned. Like the left side of the picture on the screen is ok, but as you move from left to right it gets off alignment. I can try putting a level on the projector when its sitting in the soffit, as well as a level on the screen to make sure. What else should I try?
This might help:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Also, before you go building a new soffit, make absolutely sure it will work. Maybe bolt a piece of plywood to the top of that ladder and actually try it up there.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I can raise the screen up, but doing it more than 1-2 inches would impact how people in chair would view (they would need to look up more vs straight). I could also maybe try to lower/cut the floor that the projector is sitting in (inside the soffit in the pic below). I probably have a few inches. Thoughts? View attachment 3077365
That appears to be your problem right there. ;)
You cannot project from a corner to a screen that is on one of the walls and not expect it to be misaligned.
You either need to hang the screen directly opposite the PJ in the other corner or you need to move the PJ to the wall directly opposite the screen.
Either that or buy a cheaper faux K projector with vertical; and horizontal keystone adjustment.
If you want to keep the 915, then unfortunately, aesthetics be damned in this case. It simply will not work if the lens and screen are not perfectly perpendicular.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Yeah, I would hate to downgrade from the Sony as I think it will give me an awesome picture. I want to keep the same design/curve I have with the soffit. If I extend the top curve (where the projector opening is now) all the way to the end of that wall I can get dead center (horizontally). What about vertically? I dont want to go lower that where that ceiling is now. I can bring the projector down a few inches, but will still need to probably use the vertical lens shift . Will that mess up the pic?
From your pictures, your vertical shift is within the screen boundary so no need to lower the PJ (unless you want to use the more central (and better) part of the lens that is).
The horizontal plane is where you want to centre it up. If you want the best picture then the PJ has to be at least horizontally as central to the screen as you can get it.

·
Registered
30,248 Posts
Here is what I have:
1. Distance from floor to top of image - 115"
2. Distance from floor to projector lens center - 126"
3. Image size - 132.97 DIAG (116" X 65")
4. How far off center horizontally - apx 14" off center
You are outside the shift range of the projector. center the mount horizontally and everything will work.

·
Registered
30,248 Posts
If you want to know how much off center you are, it is a lot more than 14", measure from side wall to center of lens and then from side wall to center of the screen. I think it is more like seven feet off. Maybe even more. Any installer that knows anything should have looked at what you have and immediately told you that it will not work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If you want to know how much off center you are, it is a lot more than 14", measure from side wall to center of lens and then from side wall to center of the screen. I think it is more like seven feet off. Maybe even more. Any installer that knows anything should have looked at what you have and immediately told you that it will not work.
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to look at extending the top portion of the soffit all the way to right edge of the wall so it will allow me to get dead center of the screen. I will still need to shift vertically down some, but hoping that wont impact the picture.

·
Registered
30,248 Posts
That will solve one problem. The next thing we need to talk about is ventilation for the projector. Unless the area above the projector is open, I don't see how you are getting rid of the hot exhaust? If the only opening is the one we see in the front, then all of the hot exhaust from the back of the projector will come out the front and be sucked back into the projector.

So you either need the top open or need a powered exhaust fan in the back. Even with the top open, you might need to block the path back to the front of the projector, to make sure all of the exhaust goes up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That will solve one problem. The next thing we need to talk about is ventilation for the projector. Unless the area above the projector is open, I don't see how you are getting rid of the hot exhaust? If the only opening is the one we see in the front, then all of the hot exhaust from the back of the projector will come out the front and be sucked back into the projector.

So you either need the top open or need a powered exhaust fan in the back. Even with the top open, you might need to block the path back to the front of the projector, to make sure all of the exhaust goes up.
yes, I had a cutout for ventilation above the projector. I will need to build a new one into the soffit when its done

21 - 40 of 40 Posts