AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, the W11HT that my friend ordered was delivered this a.m. and we set-up to fire up the unit.

Since this is his first projector, we used a Pioneer DVL-919 DVD/LD player as source and just an off-white wall as projection screen. Due to space limitations, we were able to project only about 80-90 inch image (measured diagonally).

We used Video essentials to calibrate but picture was already very good out of the box (contrast at 80, brightness, color/tint/sharpness all at 50). The yellow in the SMPTE color bar look a bit greenish but we were able to fix this later.

Amazingly, we tried the tweaks mentioned in Don Munsil's VPL-W10HT FAQ http://www.nwlink.com/~dmunsil/VW10HTFaq.htm and you can also enter the service mode and factory mode by pushing a series of command in the remote control.

We set the RGB Gain and Bias using the suggestion mentioned in the FAQ and since we just want to remove the greenish tinge - we settled with Bill Cushman's setting

Bill Cushman's W10HT setting

Gain: 255, 136, 159,

Bias:36, 22, 48

After changing the RGB gain/bias in Custom 1 setting, we recalibrated the contrast and brightness and found out that we can increase the brighness setting from 50 to 65 and still pass the APL pluge test (the one with black and white bars and you have to set the contrast and brightness so that the black bar disappears in the background while the white bar is still visible)

The picture looked much better when the RGB gain bias was tweaked than with VE alone. From about 10-12 feet we can not see any screen door effect.

We watched a few movies (Toy Story 2, Chicken Run, The Fifth Element, Get Carter, Dude Where's My Car ) and although overall picture quality still does not compare with a 36 inch Sony Direct View HDTV in terms of black level/contrast , the sheer size and colorful picture this projector puts out more than makes up for it.

I have helped another friend buy a W10HT before but we were not able to tweak it as much as we wanted since he moved to another country. The only projector I can compare this to is a 43 inch Sony LCD RPTV and the W11HT produces an overall better picture with DVD. My friend will be buying a PS DVD soon (I suggested the Panasonic RP91 or Skyworth 1050P) and I'm convinced that the player upgrade will kick the picture quality up a notch. We have HDTV programming locally but most of it is in Japanese so we would not able to take advantage of this W11HT feature. He is also not into HTPC so that is also another feature wasted (manual says it accept 16:9 RGB and has several presets for a lot of computer resolutions)

For the Jpy530,000 cost (US$4300), long lamp life at 4000 hrs (Cinema black on) the W11HT is certainly worth it.

[This message has been edited by weapon_x11 (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Have you tried running a computer signal into it? If you do, can you check what kind of options you have for aspect control?

------------------

-Torgeir

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Did not try running a PC thru the W11HT since his PC (Pentium 266) doesn't have a dvd playback capability and he's really not into using HTPC (although I did mention to him that this is one of the advantages of W11HT over W10HT i.e. using the full 16:9 panel for PC - am I right?). Also he doesn't have any RGBHV breakout cable (5 RCA RGBHV needed to connect his PC to W11HT)

If ever, how do we check that HTPC is really compatible with the W11HT?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Weapon,

To test to see if the projector can fully resolve every pixel from a computer source, input 1366 lines of alternating black/white bars and see if they are presented that way, or if the projector has many examples of a double-black or double-white bar across the image.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to click START|SHUT-DOWN (but don't actually shut-down). Windows will dither the desktop with a 1 pixel checkerboard pattern.

If the projector can fully resolve the image, you will have a smooth dithered pattern. If not, you will have "clumping".

Pretty easy, but very effective test. I am interested in knowing as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Weapon,

Can you clarify that the 11HT has RCA input connections and not the push and twist style BNC connectors?

It was said at one point they moved this projector to BNC type connections. I've been hoping this that was true.

Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by pms67:
Can you clarify that the 11HT has RCA input connections and not the push and twist style BNC connectors?

It was said at one point they moved this projector to BNC type connections. I've been hoping this that was true.

Thanks.
The connections are still RCA type and not the BNC.

Milori- I'll see if I can ask my friend to run the test.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys, I'm a lonely 10HT owner out here in the sticks in OZ,

where can I see pictures of this 11HT?????????????????

ta muchly.

------------------

Tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix Zero-One

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I think it looks exactly like the 10HT. I found this scan of a fax on the net that looks like a preliminary ad or brochure for the 11HT. It says that the 11HT performs a 3:2 pulldown. Maybe the 11 will have a better internal deinterlacer than the 10. Can anyone confirm the validity of this item? The file is available here:
http://www.hometheatervillage.com/vi...brary/11ht.pdf

[This message has been edited by shahram72 (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
That's it. It looks exactly like the 10ht.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Never knock another man's efforts. Why don't you ask some questions about his impressions? Guys here try to do the best that they can. Few of us here are professionals. I'd like to know how much better he thought the 11ht was than the 10ht. A little, night and day or somewhere in between? Having seen the 10ht, it the difference in picture quality immediately noticeable or subtle?

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're right that if you don't look at the model no., you won't know if its an 11HT or a 10HT. Unfortunately as bulldogger said, I'm not a professional reviewer and a newbie at best when it comes to FPTV.

Its sad that this unit won't be available at the usual place where they should have been carried (i.e. MVS + others) since I think if people can get it at the price when 10HT was first launch (i.e. US$5,500 or less), this is a good to very good value projector esp. for those like me who wants a good picture with out of the box or with minor tweaking. My impression is that with the (possible) HTPC compatibility and fact that you can also enter the service mode to tweak the RGB gain/bias - W11HT "could" be as successful as the W10HT (if you can call it that). Certainly, the difference is not night and day out of the box, so I'm not sure why Sony changed the distribution channel in the US.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This should have been called a (pre)view . . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.