AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the sony is discontinued long ago, but I see them used all the time for under $2000. How are they compared to the NEC LT150? How are the contrast levels and black levels? Is it comparable to the newer VPL-VW10HT's?

·
Registered
304 Posts
i tried them both (see photo), using DVDs and HDTV

i bought the LT150 to replace the sony, but ended up keeping the sony instead

SONY WINS

========

- noise: both are noisy beasts, but the sony's lower pitch is easier to ignore

- zoom lens (part of why i couln't use the NEC- i already have a screen & the NEC gave me 0% flexibility on projector placement

- "filmlike image" nice & "smooth" compared to "harsh/brittle" appearance of NEC

- 16x9 panels (same as my screen)

- no halos, lightspill, etc.

- no rainbows

- pixel structure less visible (honeycomb design)

NEC WINS

=======

- size! still can't believe the size (or lack of it!)

- brightness

- computer friendly

ps: i REALLY wanted to like/keep the NEC, but in the end, i just preferred the Sony.

ps2: oh no! i can see the angry mob of LT150 fans circling my castle with their flaming torches aready ;).

http://homepage.mac.com/zoom/LT150Sony400.jpg

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sony 400Q is a PJ ahead of its time and very good PJ. Unfortunately it's days are numbered. Sony W10HT should beat it due to improve brightness, contrast, higher resolution, less prone to dust, and less noise albeit at 4.5K it's 2x as expensive over a USED 400Q. With that said, I would pick LT150 due to:

1) brightness (2x as bright as Sony)

2) Better contrast (800:1 compared to 200-300:1 of LCD)

3) Less chance of dead pixels, greenfog, dust blobs (LCD flaws)

4) Short throw (100" wide image at 14 feet)

5) 2 year Instacare warranty (36 hours turn around)--Fixing that Sony out of warranty ain't cheap.

6) Less noise in table mount mode (ceiling mount is high pitch and annoying so hush box is needed). Table mount mode is 39db which is better than 400Q anyday.

7) HTPC and progressive (480p) friendly--LT150 really shines here.

8) Size (3.3# and 6X8" footprint).

9) Less screendoor (LCD has more screendoor than DLP, honeycombing or not).

10) Higher resolution (XGA vs. SVGA)

11) Better HDTV image due to resolution and accepts 720p & 1080i.

12) Better value (why buy used when you can have new for about same price?)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul K

PS: Your cat looks just like my cat. Is he/she a Maine **** by any chance?
he's a Maine **** & loves to watch HomeTheater.

favourite film: "Gumby, the Movie" (lots of small rodent-like critters scurrying about!)

ps: cat prefers Sony: "LT150 too small to sit on top of" ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have never seen an LT150 so I can't comment on it. However, there are some different points of view, so to say from those that Huey has posted. Maybe the LT150 is right for you, but here is another opinion on some of Huey's points.

7. HTPC - I and several others are driving their 400Q's with HTPC's with excellent results (with video, not computer text).

9. Screen door - Not an issue with the 400Q at reasonable seating distances - I am about 13' away from a 96" wide screen. There is no screen door - the delta picture arrangement results in a smooth image

10. The 400Q is not SVGA - remember the panels are 16x9.

11. HDTV - 400Q looks outstanding - it accepts 1080i.

Also, regarding dust - this has not been an issue on my machine. I do clean the filter very regularly though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
RESOLUTION:

on 16x9 material (my priority), the native resolutions (without ISCOs, etc) are:

Sony 400: 1068 x 480

LT 150: 1024 x 576

DEMO:

Specifications are nice to have, but in the end you have to try it yourself:

i was running both projectors at the same time, and placed a mask in front of each PJ's lens to block of 50% of each one's image, so i saw the LEFT 50% of the image on the Sony, and the RIGHT 50% of the image on the LT-150.

image was displayed on a DaLite HiPower 16x9 screen.

i watched a variety of material this way, and prefered the "look" of the Sony. i had no vested interest - remember, i was going to get rid of the Sony & both machines were paid up & belonged to me! the LT150 also offered a great new warranty (i have only a few months left on the Sony (3yr))

even so, i could have lived w/ the LT-150, if it weren't for the dreaded RAINBOWS. i would rather have low contrast (i can get used to it) than rainbows that jump out at random & detract from my involvement.

so for me, with my eyes & my preferences & my environment, it was an easy choice. everything else is academic & your experience may differ.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
For what is worth, I checked the LT150 and other Sharp LCDs (old model) before getting the Sony W400Q. The LT150 was good but to me the Sony is better. The key word here is "ME" as others may vary. If you can get it with some warranty left then by all means I recommend it. Also, after tweaking it for a long time I've found easy ways to make it look a lot better. I have a stock setting in Memory 5 and when I compared it to my tweaked Memory 4 and 3 its just like I bought a different projector specially in perceivable contrast and black level. The image has a "punch" that is lacking in its stock setting.

Try this links for some tweaks and a lot of info:

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-...orumID24&omm=0

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/dcfo...D24/2759.shtml

There is also a "focus" thread that I can find for you if you like. The native 16:9 panels are very sweet indeed .

Feel free to contact me for any question.

Regards

"ps2: oh no! i can see the angry mob of LT150 fans circling my castle with their flaming torches aready."

Don't worry we'll fight to the end :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi there

I must say, this post have chanced my view on the old lady w400q

I am getting the w400q next week, and have bin saying to my self that it would be my projector till i can buy a better one. But it seems that i need not to worry......an "upgrade" to a NEC sounds more like a downgrade......but it is hard to say just from reading posts about what people think.....most people have a way of saying that there projector is the best, and so on, but posts were a number of guys have to projector, and then posts which is better, that is a post you can relate to ....but do any of you nec and sony owners want to post pics of the nec and the sony in action ???? that would help alot...thanks all ;)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I started a thread asking for comparison shots between LCD and CRT and believe me, it didn't help at all. First of all in order for the shots to be useful they must come from the same person othe wise there are too many variables that render the test usesless. I guess it will be hard for you to find a dealer and demo a W400Q but you should be able to demo a LT150. Maybe a friend can demo a W400Q for you, heck, if you happen to be in Puerto Rico anytime soon I'll demo mine! :) Anyway, Medical Video Systems (MVS) have a no question asks return policy so you can check the nec in a local store and then get the w400q and see which you like better...not a real A/B comparison it is a possible solution.

Also, let me tel you that the threads I mentioned above have been updated many times lately as other members are having good results with the tweaks and I've been trying to improve the tweaks as much as possible based on their feed backs. There is an upcoming thread about getting the best color rendition with a simple idea I had. I tried it yesterday and I am very happy with the results. Skin colors, for example, look terrific and colors are very "punchy". I am waiting for a friend to finished his test just to see if he finds it as useful as I did, then I'll post the procedure.

Have you been in the BIGPICTUREFORUM ?

Regarding the LT150, I wouldn't call it a downgrade( although to me it was) since other like it a lot. Its just a matter of preferences and priorities.

Well, I hope you become a new owner of this hidden treasure and contact me for any help you need.

Regards

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes i have bin on bigpictureforum, but seams to me that it is going a litle slow ... not many new posts..

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Thats true but lately it has been very active. Go ahead check it out yourself. When are you getting the 400?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I orignally was going to buy a W400Q as my first FPTV, but ended up buying a used Electrohome CRT FPTV and external line doubler instead because of the lack of computer input/720p capability.

Later I ended up getting the Sony KL-W9000 LCD RPTV, which is essentially the W400Q in a 50" 16:9 RPTV form, with computer input capabilities.

I have been quite pleased with the KL-W9000.

My FPTV evolved to a JVC G15, but I had thought to replace my KL-W9000 with the NEC LT150 when the Dell sale happened.

Well, I am massively pleased with the picture quality of the LT150, the fan noise doesn't bug me, nor does the rainbow effect. But I am struck by the small size and punchy picture for any projector in this price range.

I ended up keeping my KL-W9000 because it's hard to beat it's 6000hr UHP bulb life (used daily for 3 years and still running) and the excellent picture quality.

I've only seen the W400Q poorly setup, and my LT-150 is showing on a Grayhawk screen, so I can't fairly comment as well as those folks who own both.

Still, I'd pick the the LT150 if they were both the same price just in terms of warranty, portability, and computer input capability of the NEC. But I'll admit that the decision would be close because the W400Q was an excellent design that has held up well comparitively over time.

-Dean.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean McManis

Still, I'd pick the the LT150 if they were both the same price just in terms of warranty, portability, and computer input capability of the NEC.

-Dean.
the sony 400 is a rare bird, in that it falls under the SONY PROFESSIONAL category, so it comes w/ a FULL THREE YEAR warranty on parts & labour. i'm not aware of a better warranty for ANY projector on the market.

all the subsequent Sony LCDs are CONSUMER division, with lesser warranty.

Forgot my LT150 warranty - but i thought is was less (2 years?)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nicolas

It's funny...people have a way saying that thay want a 100% black level on there projector, and many think that contrast (black level) is one of the main problems with the sony. They all want "Cinema Blacks". Now the funny thing is, that as a movie theater projectionist, i have the opetunity to play aroun with the theater wen there are no one in to see the movie, so i brin along differend projectors to make a (Projector Vs. Movie Theater) test, The sony black level is......and here it comes......if tweaked right just as good as in the theater. the theater wins wen it comes to deetails in shadows and so on..but thats about it...colors and brightness are the same beacause of the light contoled room. This gives you a new look at the old sony...RIGHT !!;)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I just want to re-iterate one point. The LT150 doesn't have a zoom lens. For me this is an absolute show stopper. How anyone can buy a projector for home theater without a zoom lens is beyond me. It more or less precludes a permenant ceiling mount. And speaking of ceiling mount, the Sony has a long throw lens with a lot of variability, which to me is a huge advantage. It means you can mount the projector behind the viewer and, as in my case, the adjacent room. What this means is zero noise, no unsightly projector in the theater room, more like a real theater.

John Moschella

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.