AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me which is the best overall projector between the Sony VPL11HT and the Sanyo XP21N. I had a Sony VPL10HT which I loved. Now im ready to buy again. In Hong Kong these two projectors are cheap!! I will only be veiwing DVDs and Sat TV as I live in Macau, near Hong Kong.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quite dissimilar machines, aren't they? VW11 is the 10HT but with better scaler and contrast (out of the box) whereas the Sanyo is a 4:3 projector with very high lumen output.

I'm partial to 16:9 for DVD-viewing especially so I'd go with the VW11 (or perhaps the Epson EMP-TW100 with Faroudja DCDi scaler built in; I'm probably getting that, but that's cause they are far cheaper here than the VW11 for some reason).

But in the end you have to decide what you need - very high light output or the nice all-in-one solution the VW11 gives.

Since you've already had the VW10, you should know what to expect from the VW11 - the same only better. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you reply Kimmo.

I tend to agree with you about the 16:9, im still interested which one has the better image with DVD given that they are very dissimilar pj.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Got the Sanyo XP21, was choosing between XP21 and PLV-60. Since projector is used primarily for DVD, the XP21 was the clear choice.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Walter,

If DVD is the primary source, then why would the XP21 be the clear choice over the PLV-60? Most of my DVDs are 2.35 aspect ratio with some that are 1.85 or 1.66. I have no DVDs that match the native aspect ratio of the XP21.

·
Registered
387 Posts
16:9 is nice in that you don't lose as much of the projectors vertical resolution to display DVD's in 2.35:1 as you do on a 4:3 machine. You also don't need to fiddle with zoom to view 4:3 material, but you do get a smaller 4:3 image than a 16:9 one (which is how it should be IMHO, but not everyone agrees) and bars on the sides.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went with the XP21 and am very pleased. With DVDs (most of our viewing) I choose the wide 16X9 mode and it looks really good. Some feel it is necessary to have a scaler to improve the pq but I have found that by tweaking the contrast, brightness, color saturation it is far better than most projectors I have seen.

Rick

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Man oh man, you have got to get a scaler. I use the Quadscan Elite. It is a little squirrelly to set up, but it is set and forget. It was an incredible improvement.

High lumens are much more important than you would think, if you haven't seen one. It allows a much better contrast ratio. All that theoretical stuff about the blackest blacks is pretty academic when you can double your contrast ratio by making the blackest black 1 lumen instead of two. Your teeth will reflect enough light to wash that black level out. The perceivable contrast ration will depend on how bright the brightest whites are and how much lumen range you have between you ambient light floor and the hot whites. High lumens are critical to shadow detail in my experience. PLUS color saturation and differentiation is greatly improved. Most people that see a well set up high lumen projector are shocked. And if you don't want to sit in the complete darkness to watch sports or paint your room black, you will really appreaciate the flexibility. Still, the darker the room the better it will look. You better take a look at a high lumen set-up before you buy. Also I think Sanyo MLA for LCD and their high contrast technology is still the cutting edge at this point.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JHouse
All that theoretical stuff about the blackest blacks is pretty academic when you can double your contrast ratio by making the blackest black 1 lumen instead of two. Your teeth will reflect enough light to wash that black level out.
Bah, no wonder. I've been smiling too much. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hello reubs,

What is the price of the XP21N in Hong Kong ?

just curious ;)

If you are not going to use a scaler then maybe buy the sony, if you are going to use a scaler or maybe HTPC, then the Sanyo could be better.

Has anyone here tried the Sanyo XP21N with an Isco11 lens and HTPC?

I imagine that would be an awesome combination for 16:9 dvd's, with no wasted pixels or lumens.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Grant
Has anyone here tried the Sanyo XP21N with an Isco11 lens and HTPC?
I don't know of any, but there are several of us with a Panamorph/XP21N combo.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Price of Sanyo XP21 in HK is around US$4,300.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
XP21N with Panamorph is outstanding. Only problem I've encountered is that the Projector pumps so much light with associated heat, the Panamorph gets too warm and introduces distortion after several hours.

Joe is right, however, this projector requires a video processor. I'm using the NRS and it is amazing, particularly with video sources.

Sharp and Marantz are real cheap over there, have you considered either?

Dan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Scott B,

The XP21 was the better choice for me since the one of the advantages of PLV-60 is in HDTV and I'm only using it for DVD. Plus the XP21 is cheaper than the PLV-60 in HK. Also I thought the bulb life of the XP21 is 2000 hours, unfortunately it's only 1000 hours.

Besides, heard too many complains about the PLV-60 on this forum and didn't want to risk getting a defective unit.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I'm not so sure on the bulb life thing. There seem to be varying reports. I can't figure out how it can be in controversy, but there are apparently conflicting specs.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
It sounds like the 1000 hours is a very conservative number. It would be interesting to know how they can come up with a number, it would be expensive to actually test, and I am not even sure of the standard to determine bulb life. In many cases it is when the bulb's light output reaches the 50% level. The variation from bulb to bulb will be pretty significant too.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The bulb experts around here have convinced me that within a very brief time, like 50 to 100 hours a bulb drops to about 80% of its original output and stays there through the end of its life, when it rapidly dims and/or burns out. Is that still the consensus.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Jhouse,

That is basically correct for the UHP bulb. The bulb stays on the 80% shelf a long time before eventually tapering off. (This should be true with NSH bulbs as well since they are almost identical to UHP)

The Xenon and the Metal halides (rarely used anymore) drop at a linear rate to 50% output at their rated life span.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'm finding my bulb on my XP21N is taking longer to reach full brightness after turn on. Used to be just several minutes. Now, it takes about 15. I am at 600 hours usage. Is this normal?

Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.