Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post

Im considering buying this PJ to use for Home Theater, are there any considerations to be made regarding this?

Im gonna use my PC as a source for the picture, but what graphicscard would be the best?

ATI 8500

Geforce 4 ti4200

or ???

How would be the best way to hook it up? via the HD 15 input or SVHS?

Thanks

Lennart aka Lenny100

·
Banned
770 Posts
I think you would be much better off using a Mitsubishi SL1U (about the same cost street price). It has a lot better user menu's and color adjustability for HT. The machine was made with it in mind.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I also advise against CS4 (4:3 SVGA LCD) due to its mediocre CR. I'd recommend the NEC LT75z (4:3 SVGA DLP) with 700:1 CR provided you are not sensitive to rainbows (most of us are immune or not significantly bothered by them). Some gest eyestrain and headaches which usually goes away after 1 week usage. Please check www.projectorcentral.com for an article on DLP vs. LCD and decide for yourself. THey also have a boat load of specs on PJ as well as reviews on a bunch.

If you like LCD I'd go for either the Panny AE100 from Japan for $1400 (16:9 WideVGA--higher resolution than the 16:9 area of a 4:3 SVGA panel and lacks the gray letterbox bars that depreciate most LCDs) or Sanyo XW15 (4:3 XGA LCD) for less than $2K as well as other XGA LCD for around $2K or slightly more (Panny 75u is one for $2400). Any of these will beat Sony CS4 (I had its little brother, the older VPL-CX1 and was not impressed due to 200:1 or lower CR). Sony also has poor dead pixel support which is notorious for LCDs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again

Thanks for your suggestions!

The CS4 is already out of the question! I have used the last 5 hours reading this forum and now im in love with the Panny AE100.

I dont think it would be possible to order it from Japan, becauser of the Tax/custom issue with goods from Japan to Denmark. I might go for one from Germany, but I need some more priceqoutes from german dealer. I have one from www.hificomponents.de. From them the Panny is 1899 euro.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just FYI there's a thread somewhere about very bad service from Hificomponents in Germany. Do a search if you want to know more.

-Jens

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To Yenzu:

I cant seem to find the thread were the above mentioned dealer is discussed. Do you have the link? (have found it!)

And for the rest:

Would you please PM me if you find a good deal within the EU on the Panny AE100!

/Lennart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.