Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I currently have a Sony STRDE-975 Receiver which works well. I am thinking about upgrading to the Denon 3805. If I sell my current sony I'll still end up shelling out another $600 for the Denon.

My question to you Denon and other high end receiver owners is :

Will my ears really hear the difference?

Has anyone else switched from a Sony or Yamaha and had a noticeable improvment in sound?

Just want to make sure I get my $600 worth.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you want the best sound for your money I suggest you look for something else than the Denon. In my opinion it'a a more features, less sound quality receiver. For ex Marantz, H/K, NAD, Rotel, Cambridge, Arcam etc. would be better options.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zubinh

Will my ears really hear the difference?

Just want to make sure I get my $600 worth.
My opinion is that you'll not hear a difference, and if sound quality is the only think you're looking at, then you won't get your money's worth. If you are looking for different features then maybe the answer is yes.

Ed

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you're planning on using the Denon in a 7.1 system, for which it was designed, it will perform surround processing that the Sony will not.

In this scenario, it's a go/no-go, with the Denon as the go.

If you're unwilling/unable to expand to a 7.1 system, then you'd be better off saving your money.

As far as sound quality differences, you'd have to judge for yourself. One person's "revealer of inner detail" is a another's "screaming banshee" and one person's "smooth, rich sound" is another's "murky, incoherent mess".

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Have any of you auditioned or heard any of the new yamahas? I mean I replaced my denon 3802 with a yamaha htr 5790 and it was like night and day the yamaha sounded so much clearer louder and it has better dynamics in my opinion so give the yamahas a listen and you too will be surprised.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A couple of observations:

1) The Denon has auto-eq which has IMO, more value than all the other techno garbage DSP modes everyone likes to stuff into these things.

2) If you use optical inputs, the Denon uses excellent Burr-Brown DAC's. Whether or not they are better than those in your Sony, only you can say. FWIW, I prefer the way Denon treats RBCD in Pure Direct mode over Sony's processing by a country mile.

3) Depending on the speaker, it's possible the Denon could sound better...or not. Again, it depends on the speaker and how hard/easy it is to drive. In my experience, the tougher the load, the better off you'll be with the Denon. If you speaks are an easy drive, you may not hear a difference at all.

If you're more concerned with sound quality than features, I'd get a nice separate amp and plug it into your pre-outs (assuming the Sony has them). The end result will sound better than either your Sony or the 3805 could ever hope to.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I used to have a Sony 575. Last weekend I bought a Denon 2105. There was a noticable jump in sound quality between the two. I currently have a 5.1 system hooked up, they are Sony Speakers, (nothing high end) but the receiver definitely breathed new life into them. My Polk audio sub is a lot more responsive now too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Landroval, why don't you just put "Denon stinks for music", in your signature line. It will save you a lot of time and effort. It seems you go out of your way to "praise" Denon, whenever you get the chance. I don't think the 3805 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it seems like to me you have a bone to pick with them or something. Oh well, like you said, its your opinion. This is mine.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah, I know. Maybe it's not good to peeve about something being bad for something, but I would like to encourage people to listen to the audiogear they are willing to buy before they buy it. That's the only way to really find the best option for you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We are in total agreement there. I was a little concerned about the Denon at first, being "too bright", then I listened to the Elite 56txi, called "warm" by some. It was not to me, then I realized peoples idea of warm, bright, dark, cold, are all over the place. You have to listen and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your input gentleman.

I'm going to stick with my existing 5.1 setup , but I think what I'm going to do is dump my Sony and get the new Onkyo SR702.

This receiver will at least optimize my sound thru the included mic/auto setup and provide me with THX Select. It will also save me a few hundred $ compared to the 3805.

What do you think about that?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just make sure the vendor has a liberal return policy(in case the Onkyo doesn't provide an improvement that justifies the expense).

Spend time with the new piece. Get used to it's sound, before passing judgement.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know I just noticed that Yamaha now has receivers that are nearly identical to the Onkyo.

Thanks for the tip oliver. I was going to buy from Circuit City. They have the sr702 for $799 but I'm going to look at the Yamahas also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.