AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry for the n00b question and I am not trying to start a brand war but...

if I have a Sony TV (40 inch LCD) is there an advantage of a Sony AVR over a Denon AVR?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Denon's are know to be the better quality avr over sony. Sony is considered low tier and denon is considered middle to high tier.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder /forum/post/17007943

Denon's are know to be the better quality avr over sony. Sony is considered low tier and denon is considered middle to high tier.

I think that might be a bit of a generalization.

Sony has some low powered budget models. I would personally not want to buy some of those based on what I know.

Just like any other brand, they have a series of models at different prices. Some might be good, I would not know. I would not summarily reject all of them just because they say Sony on them. If you got a good price on one, and it gave you the features you wanted, compared well to similar priced receivers, and had good user feedback, why would you not consider it?

That being said, I don't see an advantage to using a Sony receiver, unless it had some advantage when used with other Sony products. I don't know of any such advantage at this time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Denon!

For matching aesthetically and possibly more simple integration then go Sony. I understand some folks like to go all one brand for whatever reason and sometimes that may make sense. But I feel chances are more slimmer in getting gear that performs well all around when going one brand does all route. I think Sony makes great video products and stops right there in my opinion. I look to other companies for audio needs. My setup is totally Frankenstein and I love it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I am thinking about getting the Denon 1910. I've heard good things about it. However, I am also thinking about getting the "Sonance Cinema Select THX SUR" speakers. These have a Power rating of 5W- 135W. When I check the AVR ratings it says Output power: 90W x 7 channels. Does that mean I will need a bigger AVR?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not necessarily. It really all depends on size of room, the speakers sensitivity rating and your personal justification what really loud is to you. Plus a powered sub will help a whole lot in augmenting the receivers power ratings. So most likely you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
the best reason to go with the denon over the sony is that the power output into 7 driven channels drops about 20-30% on the denon and about 70% on the sony--even the es models apparently. the denon is solid feature-wise and most likely has much better designed and implemented power amplification within.

as for power--90w should give you enough provided you dont have a huge room or inefficient speakers but where you may need more is for peaks in music program material or movies--always good to have an avr with preouts if you need to add an amp later on.

cheers

·
Registered
243 Posts
Its hard to decide isnt it! lol!! I have all Sony for the LCD and PS3 and was gonna get a Sony recv, My bro in law works for them and his discounts are amazing 5-800 off depending on the Irem, but after my research I am going with the Denon!! Just a much nicer Recv!

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvfreak /forum/post/17011522

Its hard to decide isnt it! lol!! I have all Sony for the LCD and PS3 and was gonna get a Sony recv, My bro in law works for them and his discounts are amazing 5-800 off depending on the Irem, but after my research I am going with the Denon!! Just a much nicer Recv!

If you brother in-law gets huge discounts, then get a high end Sony-ES for the same price you'd pay for the Denon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts