AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a market for a first projector. I've seen so many options available. Lots of recommendation for the jvc rs-46, benq w1070 for its value. Avs science is having a sale on B stock sony vpl series. I'm looking for best bang for $. Looking to use biggest screen that will work best on 17'x8' wall.

Room: 17'x31'

Wall color: white

Ceiling: white

Floor: cherry

View distance: 13'

Primary use: movies

3D: yes (willing to sacrifice)

Price: $3000 with screen (willing to add 500 if necessary)

Any recommendations for you experts? I'm looking best bang for $, so list any brand and model for me to look into. The B stock sony vpl seems like a very good deal right now. What you guys think? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts

It's like the same for a lot of other branches. Take astronomy for example. Most if not all hobby astronomers started with a "simple" Newton tube or Achromat and a good equatorial mount, which usually costs around $400-$1000. Most of them as well, are staying with that because it's already doing 98% of the job, and doing it very good. But some people are always hungry and will run for the rest of their lives for those 2% left, and pay for that astronomical sums like for a Takahashi Apochromat, who does the job a (really only) little bit better, but won't offer you more fun watching Saturn and its rings. So we cheaper Newton owners will start to spend astronomical sums in accessories (blu rays).  :)

So to go back to my initial sentence, the best is to start little, but with something already extremely good which is making most of us happy for a "lifetime". And those BenQ's are doing a great job... . 

I just bought one 3 months ago, my first projector (BenQ W1070). Every time I watch a new movie, I feel like it's a waste of energy to eat the popcorn. And having watched already around 30 hours until today, I can't imagine there's something better. :)

Regards.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salokotti  /t/1523829/sony-vs-jvc-vs-benq-vs-ect#post_24519153

It's like the same for a lot of other branches. Take astronomy for example. Most if not all hobby astronomers started with a "simple" Newton tube or Achromat and a good equatorial mount, which usually costs around $400-$1000. Most of them as well, are staying with that because it's already doing 98% of the job, and doing it very good. But some people are always hungry and will run for the rest of their lives for those 2% left, and pay for that astronomical sums like for a Takahashi Apochromat, who does the job a (really only) little bit better, but won't offer you more fun watching Saturn and its rings. So we cheaper Newton owners will start to spend astronomical sums in accessories (blu rays).  :)

So to go back to my initial sentence, the best is to start little, but with something already extremely good which is making most of us happy for a "lifetime". And those BenQ's are doing a great job... . 

I just bought one 3 months ago, my first projector (BenQ W1070). Every time I watch a new movie, I feel like it's a waste of energy to eat the popcorn. And having watched already around 30 hours until today, I can't imagine there's something better. :)

Regards.

just wait till you go a tier or two up... then you'll curse the day you found this forum. I've done it with TVs, Projectors and subs (ESPECIALLY subs)...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After some comparison, I've narrowed down between Benq w7500, Panasonic PT-AE8000, and Epson 5030. Since this will be my first PJ experience, should I look at lower price models and upgrade later? What you guys think?

·
Registered
32,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfan2012  /t/1523829/sony-vs-jvc-vs-benq-vs-ect#post_24523477

After some comparison, I've narrowed down between Benq w7500, Panasonic PT-AE8000, and Epson 5030. Since this will be my first PJ experience, should I look at lower price models and upgrade later? What you guys think?

I think if you look at the lower priced models, you will be upgrading very shortly. If going with the next level up (listed above) you may be happy longer.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
If I had a good home theater room, then I would go with the RS46, or perhaps a Sony.

There is no reason to go 75% of the way towards the level of a quality product, and not go the last bit.

LCoS simply looks better. The W1070 doesn't TOUCH the JVC RS46. Not even close. The black levels and shadow detail are so much better it is just astounding.

I have the W1070, and I say that flat out - The RS46 is far superior and it is immediately noticeable.

There are some downsides to the RS46 related to gaming and brightness which may be a downside for certain setups. But, on a 92" to 120" diagonal in a movie watching space which is decently treated for proper light control, then RS46 will start to show how much better it is. Jump to a fully treated theater and the RS46 is just a huge leap above the others that I have seen. Including the Panny 8000, 5020, and certainly the W1070/1080ST models.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly I don't have a dedicated theater room. I will use treatments in the living to my best ability, although it won't be enough, it should help some. The RS64 still a better choice over the AE8000 and 5030?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1523829/sony-vs-jvc-vs-benq-vs-ect#post_24523832

If I had a good home theater room, then I would go with the RS46, or perhaps a Sony.

There is no reason to go 75% of the way towards the level of a quality product, and not go the last bit.

LCoS simply looks better. The W1070 doesn't TOUCH the JVC RS46. Not even close. The black levels and shadow detail are so much better it is just astounding.

I have the W1070, and I say that flat out - The RS46 is far superior and it is immediately noticeable.

There are some downsides to the RS46 related to gaming and brightness which may be a downside for certain setups. But, on a 92" to 120" diagonal in a movie watching space which is decently treated for proper light control, then RS46 will start to show how much better it is. Jump to a fully treated theater and the RS46 is just a huge leap above the others that I have seen. Including the Panny 8000, 5020, and certainly the W1070/1080ST models.

very true, but he's going to have to pay 4x the price of the 1070 to get the RS46... depends on his budget really.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfan2012  /t/1523829/sony-vs-jvc-vs-benq-vs-ect#post_24524127

Sadly I don't have a dedicated theater room. I will use treatments in the living to my best ability, although it won't be enough, it should help some. The RS64 still a better choice over the AE8000 and 5030?
The RS46 should be about the same price, or within a few hundred dollars ($2700 or so) and it definitely is a step up in overall quality, including build quality.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1523829/sony-vs-jvc-vs-benq-vs-ect#post_24526050

The RS46 should be about the same price, or within a few hundred dollars ($2700 or so) and it definitely is a step up in overall quality, including build quality.

where can you get the RS46 for $2700 ish???? the cheapest I've seen from an authorized dealer is $3495

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
^Have you called any dealers for real street pricing or are you just going by what the manufacturer allows authorized dealers to advertise? I've seen several seemingly legit dealers list it for $2800 or a little less on amazon, but I can't confirm if they were authorized vendors or not. Look at their feedback; that should give you a good idea of whether or not they might be trustworthy, avoiding new vendors or vendors who do very low volume sells is probably a good idea for a purchase of this monetary value, favoring vendors with multiple units in stock But, you do have some extra coverage buying on amazon than ebay that likes to make empty promises of protection to make you feel safe, but they extend the same to the seller and make both parties jump through hoops if you actually try to file a claim, ultimately leaving the decision up to the court to decide for large purchases, as it's not within their purview to arbitrate legal matters should a vendor be running a scam. All they'll do is warn the vendor or close the vendors account if enough people report similar experiences. I'm not sure amazon can do anything more, but they do seem to lean in the buyers favor and offer a more reliable guarantee.

This may not be true of everyone, but I was once told by a local authorized dealer who carried or could get most major brands, who's a good friend of mine, that despite their written policy, it's in the best interest of any credible manufacturer to warrant their products regardless of who you buy from. He felt that the only time most won't work with you is if the item has been clearly abused or tampered with, or already registered under another buyers name, indicating it wasn't a new purchase. JVC may not be like that, or it's even possible that things have changed in recent years. But as prevalent as independent extended warranties are, which have no similar requirments of going through authorized channels, it doesn't seem too likely.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
^Keep in mind that JVC warranty repair is not the easiest to deal with as it is.

Not buying from an authorized dealer may be harder to redeem the warranty.

Also, you typically send your projector to an authorized repair shop, which can take weeks if not months depending on their ability to identify the issue and get parts.

Have the premature bulb failures/dimming in the JVC's been fixed?

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1523829/sony-vs-jvc-vs-benq-vs-ect#post_24523832

Hello AV_Integrated,

I must take this occasion as it seems you have plenty of W1070 experience as well as RS46'. Superiority is often a very subjective impression as there are a lot of components which affects someone's mind what's better. There are even people saying a projector is better because it's lighter, why not.

Can you please tell me if below points are on the RS46 far superior than on the W1070?

- offers RS46 as much light on 160'' diagonal?

- offers RS46 same good 3D picture quality on large screen (140'' diagonal)? Or is the DLP based W1070 here still simply a bit a better player?

- is RS46 a waste of money (compared to spend for a W1070) if used in a less optimised environment?

Thank you.

Regards,

Salo

·
Registered
7,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salokotti  /t/1523829/sony-vs-jvc-vs-benq-vs-ect#post_24527045

Hello AV_Integrated,

I must take this occasion as it seems you have plenty of W1070 experience as well as RS46'. Superiority is often a very subjective impression as there are a lot of components which affects someone's mind what's better. There are even people saying a projector is better because it's lighter, why not.

Can you please tell me if below points are on the RS46 far superior than on the W1070?

- offers RS46 as much light on 160'' diagonal?

- offers RS46 same good 3D picture quality on large screen (140'' diagonal)? Or is the DLP based W1070 here still simply a bit a better player?

- is RS46 a waste of money (compared to spend for a W1070) if used in a less optimised environment?
The RS46 is for proper home theater use on a screen from about 80-120 inches diagonal. I try to always look at what people are asking for before recommending the RS46 because it isn't as bright as the W1070 and a long list of other models out right now.

On a 120" diagonal, it offers a good 3D image, not perfect, but good. RF glasses, so no red-flash issues of DLP link which can be a plus, and a minimal gain screen should be used with it, which is common in a good theater space.

So, at 160" diagonal, which is what I have now, I'm not sure I would use the RS46. It certainly wouldn't be that enjoyable to watch 3D on a 140" diagonal, but I'm sure some people do this and are happy with it. Likewise, in a poor environment, the RS46 loses quality as reflections from the screen off walls and ambient light devastates contrast ratios. The RS46 is a better choice with more traditional screen sizes in rooms that have at least had an attempt at controlling light beyond putting up some shades and turning the lights out. Still, in a white room, with darker scenes, it will outperform almost anything under three grand with standard 2D movie quality.

I certainly will tout the RS46 as producing a phenomenal image. I'm not about to say that it is the right choice for all situations. Like those who champion the Black Diamond screens for everything... It's just not the case. The RS46 is appropriate where it is appropriate. Which is why details, research, and knowledge matters prior to purchase.

On the other hand, getting most of the purchase price to the RS46 with a 5030 or AE8000 makes very little sense to me considering the actual step up in quality that the RS46 delivers.

It's a much tougher choice between the RS46 and W1070 or Optoma HD131x which give very good images with extra brightness and solid 3D for around 1/3 the street price.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1523829/sony-vs-jvc-vs-benq-vs-ect#post_24527538

It's a much tougher choice between the RS46 and W1070 or Optoma HD131x which give very good images with extra brightness and solid 3D for around 1/3 the street price.

That's what I was thinking, but never had confirmation, till now. Thanks a lot AV_Integrated for your insights. Obviously, someone owning an adjusted home theater environment (which probably would have cost something as well to build up), to save money on the projector ($700) would seem a bit strange. You would then go for a projector with strong blacks, and that's starting at $3000. 

One thing I just don't understand; many owners here of above $3000 projectors own only a 120'' screen (or 110, 100). That's so damn little. Is it because those LCos/DILA +3000$ projectors don't offer the light for that, or is mostly just the "big wall" missing for a bigger throw (or a long throw missing)?

Sorry for my less advanced english, english is only placed at #2 of foreign languages to learn in our school system. :)

Regards,

Salo

·
Registered
5,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salokotti  /t/1523829/sony-vs-jvc-vs-benq-vs-ect#post_24527608

That's what I was thinking, but never had confirmation, till now. Thanks a lot AV_Integrated for your insights. Obviously, someone owning an adjusted home theater environment (which probably would have cost something as well to build up), to save money on the projector ($700) would seem a bit strange. You would then go for a projector with strong blacks, and that's starting at $3000. 

One thing I just don't understand; many owners here of above $3000 projectors own only a 120'' screen (or 110, 100). That's so damn little. Is it because those LCos/DILA +3000$ projectors don't offer the light for that, or is mostly just the "big wall" missing for a bigger throw (or a long throw missing)?

Sorry for my less advanced english, english is only placed at #2 of foreign languages to learn in our school system. :)

Regards,

Salo

most rooms just don't handle a screen bigger than 120 anyways... unless you literally have a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE dedicated room, then 120 is really the top end. plus the bigger the screen the farther back you have to sit to not be overwhelmed.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I personally find it a failing of the RS Series from JVC. I think they should offer their standard models and offer a brighter model in the same series. A slight loss in contrast for a serious brightness boost would open up their models to more serious theaters which now are forced into some of the better DLP products out there. 120" is ideal for typical viewing in a 14' deep room. But those (including myself) who like a larger screen and can support it, miss out on the great quality that JVC has delivered over the years. I say that as someone who loves the RS 46 and constantly recommends and installs it. The projector deserves a brighter sibling.

·
Registered
12 Posts

So, theoretically, people who have the room for a big screen (my main basement room has 5x7 meters) but not the need for a theater like environment, a BenQ W1070 is simply a perfect match as it has a great picture, a good 3D quality which is only overmatched by x-times more costy non-DLP projectors, and a strong light for a large picture.

Therefore I must really agree to what you said, that it's a strange business strategy of JVC, not having at least the good start projectors of them of $3000 to be at least as strong in picture size and 3D as the $700 DLP's. But that would maybe diminish the marges.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts