AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total newbie to the world of plasma. This weekend I wandered down to the local big screen shop and spotted the plasma display. I've been itching to get one for some time now, and I just bought a new house so I figured now was the time. I ended up in front of the Sony KZ42TS1 42". I really like the look and feel of the TV itself, and the clarity of the screen was amazing.

After reading through this forum though, it seems as though the Sony's might not give you all the bang for the buck compared to some others (NEC, Panasonic, etc).

I'm a little afraid of making a decision based on little to no research. Can anyone give me some helpful guidance as to whether or not the Sony might be the right decision.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You have to go with what you like. If you like the PQ on the Sony vs other plasmas and it meets your needs for connectivity, sources, built in sound and tuner etc then it may be the best for you. The key is to view the other brands.

You say that you have read posts on this forum that suggest the Sony may not be the best choice. If you have read these posts, what was in them that made you think that a reply here may be different? I'm not being rude, I'm interested in what you read, how much you read and whether the prior posts did not give enough info, seemed to be too biased, did not read enough posts to get a good idea etc., etc.. I am assuming that you have used the poweful search function on this forum.

Take a look at the other post here for some useful info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=146287

At the time of posting it is about two posts below yours. Did you see this one? Jeff St. John posts some useful info about the new XGA 42 inchers skewing the choice now, depending on your viewing needs. Other questions are the same as in the thread I linked you to. What are your sources? Is HD in there? What is the mix? 70% SD, 25% DVD 5% HD etc.

Also, there is another post about Sony dropping Fujitsu as its panel source (the source of the current KZ42TS1) and going with NEC. The 42" NEC MP3 is very highly regarded so the quality of this glass may have been a factor - I do not know. Suffice it to say that the KZ42TS1 is effectively being obsoleted by this move.

Personally, I would not go for any Sony plasma right now. I have not seen a good one yet. I currently own a Sony direct view (xbr400) so am not anti sony - just pro best pq. I would hold off to see what the panny XGA and the NEC xga plasmas look like.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Definitely look at as many as you can, there are significant quality differences. Most of these are more apparent on standard definition signals, where the quality of the internal scaler on the plasma is critical. Most plasmas look great on HD signals. Likewise, they all look great on animated pictures off DVD (which is the way most retailers like to show them.)

Take your own DVD, preferably one with some foggy/murky/dark scenes. The weaker sets will show "creeping moss" and/or distinct rings/layers of brightness on these scenes while the better sets will look fine. Also, looking at fast moving action, watch for comb-like fringes or "jaggies" on the edges of moving objects. Some sets will definitely show you less of this than others.

Finally, look at the blacks in a picture. On the better sets, they'll be really BLACK, while on the poorer ones they'll be sorta dark gray or, worse, vaguely metallic looking. Also, looking at a disc that you know has good detail in some dark scenes, see whether the plasma is showing you this detail or just blocks up into an undifferentiated mass of black.

Poor blacks used to be a real weak spot for Sony vs. the others, but I haven't looked at a Sony in a while, so maybe they've gotten better.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Divvy,

Maybe the original poster was curious if the opinions he read about Sony were representative of the group, or if there were any significant number of dissenting opinions on the point. It seems to be a common newbie question here because many people have the perception that Sony TV's in general should have good PQ because their direct view TV's do. So people have a little cognitive disonance when they check in here and see negative opinions about Sony.

BTW, I personally haven't liked the PQ on the Sony plasmas I've seen in store. So I'll weigh in with my opinion on it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Divvy,

Maybe the original poster was curious if the opinions he read about Sony were representative of the group, or if there were any significant number of dissenting opinions on the point. It seems to be a common newbie question here because many people have the perception that Sony TV's in general should have good PQ because their direct view TV's do. So people have a little cognitive disonance when they check in here and see negative opinions about Sony.
My goodness, you put that so well! I think you are right - that has to be the reason.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey, where is that "in your face" German guy when you need him? He missed his perfect chance to preach about the superiority of Sony displays and ALiS technology!

Adam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.