AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between the Sony RDR-VX560 and the Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK. I have a DP-5000, so copy-protection sensitivity with the Sony should not be an issue. Most of my old VCR recordings were made with Sony equipment, and I own a Sony mini-DV camcorder. I'm concerned about compatability with the Panasonic, but on the plus side, the Panny has the digital tuner, and the Sony doesn't. Price wise, the Sony is a little cheaper. Don't need a HDD, as I have a Satellite DVR.

Looking for some opinions before I make my purchase.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I think Sony makes great TVs among other things, I just personally don't think they do the best with their DVDRs. The sinic in me says they don't want home recorded DVDs to be too good. If they were it might cut down on their main source of revenue, software sales.

I personally tried a top of the line Sony DVDR a couple years ago(I've got the model number written down somewhere if it matters) anyway IMO the PQ was not nearly what the Panny ES-30(which is what I settled on) was. This said I'm going off 3 year old experience, your best input would be from someone who actually owned the VX560 and has compared it to the Panny. IMO all Pannys from at least '05 and on have similar good PQ when recording from line input. Of course the EZ units look better when recording from a HD RF source.

AFA your old VHS tapes even though they were originally recorded on a Sony VHS I don't think you're going to get any better PQ playing them back on a newer Sony vs. a Panasonic. Your best bet would be the original machine they were recorded on, other than that it will just be a hit and miss as to what machines will track your tapes best. If you used SP you will have a much better chance of good results. I would think both the Sony and Panny would have a equal good quality VHS player. Others who have done a lot of tape conversions will probably recommend a separate DVDR (eg EZ-28) and separate good quality VCR for maximum flexibility. The key in this is "good quality VCR". VCRs are getting as scarce as DVDRs w/HDDs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts