AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird question that I would appreciate anyone's help on.

I won a Sony KE-42XS910 in a poker tournament. It is a beautiful TV but I'm not sure it is the one I would have chosen were I spending my money. Since I won it, I don't have a receipt and I assume it is therefore not covered under a warranty.

A coworker of mine is willing to pay me $4,900 tomorrow for the Sony.

If I sell it I will probably buy a different plasma. I haven't finished my research on what exactly that would be but it will probably be something like the Pioneer PDP-503CMX offered at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=345802 .

The Pioneer package includes a wall mount and the Sony wall mount costs $400.

In order to sell my Sony and buy the Pioneer it would cost me an additional $795 plus shipping, handling, and insurance. ($795 = $6,095 - $4,900 - $400)

This seems like a good deal to me because I would prefer 50", don't care about built in speakers, and suspect that the Pioneer (1280x768, 900:1, 340 cd/m2) might have a better picture than the 1024x1024 res ALiS Sony.

I sit 10' from the TV in my current apartment but suspect future living arrangements could be further.

Would you keep the 42" Sony or pay $795+ to "upgrade" to the 50" Pioneer or similar TV?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someone please just give me your thoughts. I need to make my mind up in the morning. It seems like it would be worth it for about a grand extra, right? Or am I crazy to sell this beautiful brand new Sony TV for $4,900?

·
Registered
979 Posts
No you're not crazy. Go for it.

Sincerely,

A happy 503cmx owner.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would too.

Spleen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stick with the Sony. You will not regret it. I have researched pretty thoroughly and was about to pull the trigger on the Pan TH42Px20UP before I saw it side by side with the Sony. The DVD picture quality was comparable; the HD picture was comparable; the dreaded black reproduction was comparable. The regular satellite signal (Directv) was not. The Sony did a much cleaner job with the signal in producing a better picture (using S-video in.)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clydeplasma
Stick with the Sony. You will not regret it. I have researched pretty thoroughly and was about to pull the trigger on the Pan TH42Px20UP before I saw it side by side with the Sony. The DVD picture quality was comparable; the HD picture was comparable; the dreaded black reproduction was comparable. The regular satellite signal (Directv) was not. The Sony did a much cleaner job with the signal in producing a better picture (using S-video in.)
Where were these viewed? Which sony?

When properly set up, the panny and pio both beat the non-xbr sony, which is what he has. The new XBR's are apparently right up there at the top however.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The link you have in your post didn't work for me, so I don't know who you are planning to buy the Pioneer from.

I would suggest that you make sure that:

1. You are buying from an authorized Pioneer dealer

2. You are NOT buying from a dealer that is actually listing a price on the internet

(this is not allowed buy Pioneer and they say they won't honor the warranty for such purchases)

3. You place the order via phone vs the internet

Pioneer is a real stickler when it comes to warranty on internet purchases.

*No listing of prices on the internet

*Order must be placed on the phone

Those are the key issues for them.

BTW, as stated, I'd say go for that deal also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I respect the opinions of the others here, and can understand their point of view, but I respectfully disagree. I don't think for $1000 more cash you'll get $1000 worth of better picture or performance.

The sets were viewed at Circuit City. I also viewed the Sony xs910 at another store where it was hooked up to the Samsung DVD player that upconverts to 1080i. That was most impressive.

I have looked at the xbr950 side by side with the xs910 also, and in my (not so humble) opinion, the xs910 is as good PQ wise as the xbr950. As I said before, I really liked the Panasonic PX20U/P, but could see less rough edges on the xs910 when viewing both on a Directv non-hd signal using s-video input. I performed all my comparisons at my normal viewing distance of 10 feet, though I eye-balled everything from around 4 feet as well. A local B&M shop had the xs910 for $4,995 on sale, so I felt good about the price and having the backup of a local dealer. If I could have saved another $1000 though, you can bet I would have bought via the net, probably visual apex. I can afford the extra $1500 or so to upgrade to the xbr950, but I see no marginal benefit significant to justify the cost.

Many here seem to be anti-ALIS. I view it differently, perhaps naively I will say. When you are hooked up to a 1080i HD signal, the xs910 displays without vertical scaling, so 1024 of the 1080 lines are displayed. Also, since the electrode strips are shared between two lines of cells, only half the pixels are illuminated at any instant. Common sense says that has to increase panel longevity.

As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. YMMV.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sold it. I really appreciate all your opinions. This forum is the best. Now I will get serious with my research on what I am replacing it with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.