AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a 40" or a 46" LCD TV. I'm still not sure what size I'm going to get, but needed your help on what brand to purchase.

I was told a few years ago that SONY was much better quality/picture than SAMSUNG. However, is that still the case? What company makes a better LCD TV in this size range?

Also, how much should I expect to pay (even after all of these sales)?

Thanks for your time and help,

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I'd say they are pretty even on quality. Some of the S series Sony's don't have very good scalers but the higher end sets are really nice. I don't think there is a lot of difference in the Samsung line, even the low end sets look great. Look at the sets you are planning to buy and compare with HD and SD signals (unless you don't watch SD).

Price varies week to week, shop the sales. Most stores in our area are within 10% on price and will match competitors ads. There is little margin in TV's these days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your recommendations... I didn't even think about testing the SD channels.

SONY has a W line that I'm looking at. I believe its the SONY 46W5100. I was told it has the "newer" engine in it

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sony LCD line is considered best amongst others, but the samsung lcd is coming in race with sony. The picture quality delivered by samsung lcd almost is as same as sony lcd. Again, the LED technology of Samsung bought him at the top position today in the market.

So you definatly get the same features with other models except sony in the same price....

Also, Sony has its own features, so its still no. 1 in the market for his features, qualities and price too....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you sure you want that size? Can you go bigger if the price is right? I ask because I went from 40 to 46 and know I want a 50 or 55. I would trade my 46 for the same model but at 50 in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshenaniganz /forum/post/17018069

Are you sure you want that size? Can you go bigger if the price is right? I ask because I went from 40 to 46 and know I want a 50 or 55. I would trade my 46 for the same model but at 50 in a heartbeat!

How did we get from a brand discussion to a size discussion? If you didn't want to answer the original question, why respond at all?

As for the comparison between Samsung and Sony, my suggestion would be to actually look at the models you are considering before making any decision. I was alway a huge Sony fan (still am) but my last two TV's have been Samsungs. When I was shopping for TVs last year, I had planned on buying another Sony; however, I was blown away by the Samsung A650's picture quality. So, now I own a 2008 Samsung LN46A650 for the living room and a 2009 Samsung LN37B650 for our small family room. I love them both.

That being said, I would also love to have a new Sony XBR9, Z5100, or W5100. All three of them have the new Bravia 3 engine and I've seen all of them in electronics stores. When I was shopping for my new TV, I was really wanting a 37". Unfortunately, Sony doesn't have a 37" panel this year, so I stayed with Samsung and am very happy.

The bottom line is this: Sony and Samsung are so much better than all of the other brands that I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Also, don't forget to turn off overscan for both displays while comparing HD performance.. Any display will scale the image when run in anything but 'overscan off' (Samsung calls it "Just Scan") mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help- I'm leaning towards SONY. Looks like I might get the SONY 46W5100 if I can find a good deal.

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
OK I know it is one inch to big, but what is the reason you haven't looked at the 47LH90?

Usermenu is great you can do so many setups and tweeks. With CNETS calibration settings and others available you will get a stellar picture. I just did a quick price comparison and it seemed to be in the same range as your Sony.

Cleveland Plasma had a great price on them not sure what they are costing today. Either way I would look at them at BB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts