AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
i don't know much about the toshiba so can't say anything about it but I do own a 52w4100 and it's awesome; deep blacks and and excellent shadow details. semi-glossy screen works for me and 120hz motionflow makes everything smooth as silk. movies and gaming looks jaw dropping. I have no issue with this tv except for the non-swivel stand. i hear alot of fuss about the so called "sparkles", but it isn't an issue for me since 99% of the time I don't notice them and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the set in any way. hope that helps.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The new toshiba 540/550 models are outstanding. The problem is that you can't find them anywhere to see them. I have looked closely at (I finally found one on a trip to NY) and I've read all the information on the Toshibas vs the 52W4100 vs the Samsung 550/650/750.

I am hoping that someone local will start to carry the 540/550 just in case there is something wrong with the set I buy and I have to return it for another.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
You can get the Toshiba 52XF550 from Costco for a good price with free shipping.

·
Registered
41 Posts
stay as far away from toshiba as you possibly can. you're asking for nothing but trouble. see my posts elsewhere on these forums for my current toshiba nightmare.

definitely go with sony, panasonic, or samsung and you'll be happy.

toshiba makes crappy products and they don't stand behind them at all.

BM2

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Umm if I remember you TV broke out of warranty and they offered to pay for 1/2 maybe you should read the samsung threads or the sony ones. Samsung would tell you to go jump in a lake and I know that for a fact.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Bluemax2....I went back and read your comments about Toshiba.

You elected not to take an extended warranty, however now you expect the manufacturer to give you an extended warranty (for free). You feel that it's a manufacturing defect...but the fact is that when a TV fails, it always fails due to something that you would feel is a design defect or a manufacturing defect. That's exactly why you take an extended warranty....and realistically, they don't cost all that much on an LCD TV to avoid exactly the type of problem you had. Can you think of anything that an extended warranty would cover that isn't some sort of early failure of some component in the tv...which is, I guess, a manufacturing defect.

So don't blast Toshiba or any other manufacturer for not standing behind their products because their product failed for whatever reason after the warranty expires. You don't get a lifetime warranty on any electronics...because they do fail...and that failure rate and cost to repair under warranty is taken into account when they price the product.

At some point, people have to stand up and say...hey, I made the choice and it was wrong. If you don't like it, sue Toshiba. Why do people seem to think that they aren't responsible for their actions and choices. If you hit another car because you are talking on a cell phone, why not sue the cell phone provider...it's their fault because they gave you a phone. I'm going to guess that you think any failure of your car outside of warranty is also something that the dealer/mfg should fix for free. Hey...life doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, listen up ghstudio:

check the boards here and elsewhere on the internet. toshiba panels are crappy; plain and simple. am i looking for an extended warranty from them? NO. i AM looking for them to stand behind a product that's 14 months old and isn't supposed to be disposable. should i have purchased an extended warranty? perhaps; perhaps not. bottom line: i spent > $2000 for this thing that i might as well use for an anchor on my boat.

right now, i AM in the process of suing them in small claims court and my attorney thinks i'll win.

FYI, mine is NOT an isolated case of this problem and i'm surprised there hasn't been a class action suit against them yet. when i win this case, maybe i'll have my attorney start one.
MY OPINION IS THAT TOSHIBA PRODUCTS SUCK

your opinion is that i should keep buying $2000 tv's and throw them away every 14 months.

maybe you work for toshiba, huh?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Umm Ya good luck

If there was a common problem it would be on this board. It sucks what happened but like I said check out how samsung or sony would handle this by there rules (as well as just about every one else) you where 8 months out of warranty as they go by your original purchase date. They offered to pay for 1/2 the cost they did not have to make that offer.

No manufacture has to give you anything when you are out of warranty. What do you think ford would say if your motor went when you where out of warranty?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax2 /forum/post/14184904

stay as far away from toshiba as you possibly can. you're asking for nothing but trouble. see my posts elsewhere on these forums for my current toshiba nightmare.

definitely go with sony, panasonic, or samsung and you'll be happy.

toshiba makes crappy products and they don't stand behind them at all.

BM2

umm, don't let one guys bad experience lead you to make the wrong decision. not saying the Sony is bad, but personally, i would go with the Toshiba.

and ignore ignorant comments like "toshiba makes crappy products"... thats laughable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
like i said, my attorney is confident we'll at least get the full repair cost out of toshiba.

and if you check the boards (here and elsewhere), you'll find MANY instances of this problem.

so, i'll say it again: STAY AWAY FROM TOSHIBA.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just bought the new toshiba LCD TV the XV540 and i know ive only had it for a month or so but so far everything is great and have had no problems. And at the time of my purchase an extra 5-year warranty only cost about $125.00 so of course it was a no brainer to buy the extra warrranty.

Conclusion= Tohsiba is good, dont listen to the guy above....

Oh and i vote that you get the Toshiba, mines great so i can only imagine the model above mine is nothing short of amazing!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower101 /forum/post/14186552

And you will find more problems with samsung and sony.

exactly. all brands have their known issues, even the best of them.

like I said before... don't let one bad guys experience lead you into making the wrong decision.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had some problems with my Sony 46W4100 (sparkles), so I returned it. Replaced it with a Toshiba.

So far my Toshiba 52XF550 has been just great. No complaints and I'm very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I too own a tosh (46xv540) and i also have not had any problems whatsoever, the pq is outstanding, everything about it is great, im well satisfied with my purchase and would recommend getting one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't know anything about the Toshiba, but so far I've been happy with my w4100. Of course, there are the sparkles, but I don't notice them that often. I plan on watching a few dark movies straight through before my 30 days expires though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts