AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a sony vpl-vw60. I'm finally getting rid of my 8500lc. i have a few specific questions about the projector and a few general theater questions. My theater is 12x18 dedicated, light controlled and blacked out. I only watch movies on dvd. no tv or games. brightness is not an issue, i am into film like picture quality. my screen is a stewart 16x9 108" diagonal.

how far back should i mount on the ceiling? what mounts do you recommend?

i will have two rows of theater seats. how far back should the first row be?

should i get it professionally calibrated or can i get most of it myself?

i'm also intrigued by the idea of a scope screen set up. What is the maximum size screen for my situation while maintaining picture quality? how much are they?

what are my choices for anamorphic lenses?

i have done alot of searching and haven't been able to answer these clearly. thanks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen /forum/post/15432953

...My theater is 12x18 dedicated, light controlled and blacked out. ...how far back should i mount on the ceiling? what mounts do you recommend? i will have two rows of theater seats. how far back should the first row be? should i get it professionally calibrated or can i get most of it myself?...

First off I would recommend you not sit any closer than say 1.3 screen widths unless you are a small child with a flexible neck and short attention span... notice how only the little kids prefer the front-row seats in public theaters? Assuming you are planning on having the screen at the far end of the long dimension (18-ft)... due to audio anomalies that will not be amendable to any attempts to be equalized away, I highly suggest you stay away from putting any seating either in the middle of the room (9') or near the rear wall. And assuming you are planning on at least a 5.1 set-up, this doesn't leave you a lot of choice for two rows of seating. First row should be no closer than 11-ft and the second row no further than 15-ft... thus your second row seating will almost surely have to be place on a riser (at least 18" high). Mounting the VW-60 closer than ~11-ft will not be do-able and will possibly be annoying if mounted directly over the first row seating... also mounting it less than 15-ft back will probably not be possible with a ceiling much lower than 8-ft due to people walking around on the riser bumping their heads on the PJ... thus you will most likely want to mount the PJ at the back of the room... maybe shelf mounted. Don't know your screen gain but if its say 1.0 gain then you should get maybe almost 12-ftL initially in low lamp mode but a hundred hours or so in will probably be more like 10ftL and less, so plan on using high lamp mode to attain a bright 16-ftL... all this assumes the PJ will be properly calibrated to D6500. If you wish to try calibrating yourself, you will probably be purchasing an EyeOne (or similar... say ~$150) colorimeter and I suggest familiarize yourself with the excellent "Greyscale for Dummies" written step-by-step process and finally if you want to go the 'last mile' you can use the ImageDirector software to custom create your own gamma curve and RGB level balance it to perfection... if you search the Calibration/Tweak thread for the VW-60 and read the last dozen or so pages of it, I think you will find much of it quiet helpful... otherwise you can drop ~$400 to get it professionally done.

Congrats on the new PJ and Good luck... enjoy!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. i am not worried about pj placement on the ceiling. i will be taking down a huge crt that blew hot air on me for years. this will be a big step up. I am most interested in placing the pj in the optimum spot for PQ. so don't worry about the seating. so what is the optimum distance? also, do you have a recomendation for a mount? rather not put it on a shelf unless 18" is the optimal throw distance. my current screen gain is 1.3, but i might get a larger 10' long scope screen so that could change.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I use an aluminum mount I purchased offa eBay... its the third mount (same style, same vendor but for different pjs) I've purchased in ~4years, I'm pleased with the design, quality, adjustability, and the price... they also have a choice of extension lenghts very reasonably priced. I don't wish to violate any forum rules here... but if you do a quick search on eBay it should be apparent which one I'm talking about. I'm sure there are other fine ceiling mounts from other vendors as well... however, I suggest staying away from any that come with a safety chain... DUH! I would think the inclusion of a safety chain as not a good omen. Placement... I've tried 'high' (lens center inline with the top of the screen) and 'center' (lens aligned dead center in middle of screen) and didn't seem to notice any 'sweet spot' in the lens. After living with it for a couple months mounted 'high' and then a couple months 'center', in the end I have it again mounted up 'high' and that's where I'm going to leave it. Distance, I think, is more a personal preference thing... because of screen size you'll be limited on the 'near' side to ~11-ft... brightest picture for sure (but trade-off is a bit less contrast)... at 18-ft contrast is best but ft-L will suffer. I have had mine mounted both at 10.5-ft then later at 16-ft and finally now at 18-ft. I use 18-ft out of convenience (you'd have to see my theater layout to understand) but... if I could, I would like to have left it at 10.5-ft. What can I say? I prefer the brighter picture.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
My room is 14.5' wide x 18.5' long x 8.75' wide high.

I've had my Sony VW60 for 11 months now, but only 450 hours used due to HT construction.

PJ is 16'4" from screen, 1st row seats is 10.5', 2nd row on riser is 16.5'.

My CIH screen is 130" 2.35:1, 103" 16:9.

I feel the size screen / seating distance if just right sized. Not too big, not too small.

I switch between 1st row and 2nd row seating, depends on who's over/etc. Both give immersion into the viewing experience.

For scope movies longer throw distance is better if you use a-lens.

I have a chief mount, simple and like the adj capability.

The PJ is very quiet.

Good luck and enjoy your new equipment.

One screen shot for the road.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
btw, I made the below when I bought my VW60 to help me visually grasp the "sweet spot".

Excel file is attached so you can modify to your situtation.

Good luck.

SonyVPL-VW60 LensAnalysis.zip 11.623046875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Screen- DIY laminate, details in my sig, 50.875" CIH gives 103" 16:9 and 130" 2.35:1

a-lens: Panamorph UH380 b-stock via avs sale Jan-08

DIY manual sled

I very happy with the Panamorph, if you get the UH480 it will only be improvement on what I'm seeing (95% light transmission vs 92% for UH380), and I think Panamorph tweaked the optical coating on their lens also for other improvements.

good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First: Sorry for my bad english!

I sold my Optoma H79 yesterday and now i can get an Sony VW60 (1 year old with 130 hours, import without warrabty) for 1700 Euros.

Is the HW10 better in Blacklevel as the VW60?The HW10 is about 1800 Euros in germany, with 3 years pickup/return-service.

So whats the better choice in your opinion?

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you are asking me, i don't know. I just bought the vw-60 used with a brand new bulb for $1,800. I'm very happy with it. and that's coming from a guy with a mike parker tweaked out 8500lc. not as good as the LC on it's good days, but i don't need that anymore. I can live with this.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I just bought a Sony VW-80 to replace my NEC 10pg projector. I went with a Chief RPA-020 mount for a few reasons. First, I used a Chief mount with the NEC, and was very happy with it and its adjustment capability. Second, I plan to attach the mount to the pole from which the NEC hung, and that is a 1 -1/2 in NPT pipe. So, I can drop the NEC and put the Sony VW80 in its place. The Sony will be approximately 12 feet from a 104 inch wide screen. The VW80 is similar to the VW60, so, as a previous poster noted, I will gain brightness at the expense of some contrast (but the VW80 is rated at 60,000:1). If your crt was ceiling mounted to a pole, you may be able to do like I am.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You've Got Mail, I just PM'd you regarding your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhead /forum/post/15457289

... Is the HW10 better in Blacklevel as the VW60?The HW10 is about 1800 Euros in germany, with 3 years pickup/return-service.

So whats the better choice in your opinion?

Thanks for your reply!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.