AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as people expect this to happen, we may see a VW10HT Mk II very soon!

On a Japanese site, someone posted in a forum that in the May issue of the Japan HiVi magazine, page 240, Editorial Preview section, it mentioned about the VW10HT's successor is simply designated as MK II with many modifications. And HiVi will report it in details next issue (June). Another contributor said that VW10HT originally was target to be a good P/C value (Japanese yen 649,000), and at a time like this with recession, he expects it to be the same, meaning similar pricing (he is just speculating, which makes sense though)

I went to the HiVi Japanese site at http://www.stereosound.co.jp/hivi/index.html, and could not find any details since it contains only the table of contents for the May issue. Interestingly, in May issue, HiVi compares Yamaha DPX-1 to Barco Cine 6 to Sanyo LP-W1000 (same as PLV-60) and Epson's ELP-50 (?). Also it reports an introduction of PLUS's new home theater DLP (someone had posted a link here in the AVS forum) with TMDS link. I'll get a May issue very soon (Taiwan has parallel import), I'll see what more can I dig up.

HiVi is a very popular and respected home theater magazine in Japan. It is very technical, more like US's Widescreen Review or Perfect Vision, than the average home theater magazine. It seems that Japanese likes technical advances, and high tech becomes a selling point. Hence you'll see HiVi discusses what is a 3-2 pull down, which IC the DVD player uses, and why. I learnt a lot from the Chinese translation publications of the HiVi (although two month late). Actually, more than 2 years ago, I read that Panasonic is about to introduce a progressive TV with reversed 3-2 pull down using a Genesis chip. At that time, it was a first that other manufactures are still using other technical in line doubling TV. I immediately jumped on it and introduced both Genesis and DVDO chip to Proton (where I worked then), and made the progressive DVD prototype and progressive TV (now selling!). 2 years later, still no other Taiwanese TV manufacture have come out with similar progressive displays. This example shows the value of reading a advanced magazine ...

Well, I'm out of Proton now, concentrating to bring home theater technology and awareness into Taiwan LCD/DLP manufactures, but as with 2 years ago, I ran into a lot of resistence and slow decision. Sigh, I'm afraid that Taiwan's competitive edge will lose out to China or Southeast Asia countries eventually. What a pity based on the fact that there are more than 8 LCD projector manufactures now in Taiwan, and none of them are willing to move to video aggressively even though they are facing a price war on LCD projector OEM ...

Tzung-I

· Registered
37 Posts
Congrat on your new career move. I enjoy your articles on the HI-FI & HI-VI MONTHLY Magazine immensely. Keep up the good work. (For those not familar with the Taiwanese magazine, HI-FI & HI-VI MONTHLY is said to be the audio/video magazine with the highest print circulation in Taiwan but with no Internet presence at all.) Please participate more in the local scene, e.g. the myav.com.tw forum (I'm sorry to say that the majority of messages on the forum are in Chinese).

· Registered
1,321 Posts
"2 years later, still no other Taiwanese TV manufacture have come out with similar progressive displays. This example shows the value of reading a advanced magazine ..."

Maybe they are still waiting for Sage FLI2200 instead of Genesis and DVDO chip http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
http://investor.cnet.com/investor/ne...6974-SAGI.html

FLI2000 is suitable for video source deinterlacing. (TV shows, concerts)

------------------

bbq in Kowloon

· Registered
3,465 Posts
You should be aware that the Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 comes in two versions: one is a low cost, no memory version; the other has a frame buffer memory for film source material deinterlacing like the SI/DVDO503 which accounts for its near flawless performance on film based material. How the non-memory version performs on film based material remains to be seen. Determining which version of the chip a particular piece of equipment has may be difficult from the specs and lit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.