AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at ceiling mount for sony lcd. Is it kosher to run rg cable (terminated w/ "F" ends) from processor/dvd/etc to projector and go to "ratshack" and buy the "F" to "RCA" adapter for inputs on the component and rca (and if possible changing "F" to "S" video). I can buy terminated RG cable for a heck of a lot cheaper that 25' run of component cable from Better Cables. Is this possible to do? Are there any bandwidth problems doing this (hidef/480p progressive) that would proclude one from using rg cabling and converting f to rca? If not, then why doesnt everyone do this? By the way, is it rg6 or rg59 or what? :}>

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mark,

I had just this setup for a few months and it worked well. I used RG59 with F connectors and RCA adapters on both ends. On the source end I had a three foot RGB to BNC to RCA cable. With all these interconnections I did have some ghosting.

I just recently broke down and bought a RGB cable from Bettercables (50 foot RGB to breakout). The ghost has disappeared but in all honesty the image is not $300 worth better. I now wish I had just spent the time to make my own cable with less connectors.

There are also some ingenious people that have use shielded CAT5 to run the connection. If done right, this can be as good as RGB cable and lot more flexible. Here is a link to the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006683.html

Good luck,

Larry

·
Registered
779 Posts
I run 3 ~35ft rg6 for component and 1 mini rg59 for composite all terminated with radio shack f to rca adapters. This is attached to my sony 444es receiver that is component switching between my HD stb and DVD player. I have no ghosting and I am projecting a 110" throw so I think I would see any defects that would be caused by bad cabling. I A/B tested this with a 2M Monster-3 component cable and could see no difference. I figured with the money I saved I could buy a dozen or so DVD's.

I say try it, if you don't like it you are only out 30 bucks or so.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Stick with RG-6 as it's consistently rated at 75 ohms and the RG-59 is not. This can have a more-than-subtle affect on your image.

-dave

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have read elsewhere that you should specifically look for RG6 cable with a solid copper core, not copper-clad steel (CCS). Most cheap RG6 does not have solid copper.

I used solid copper core, quad-shield RG6 to my 10HT and terminated the cables myself, and the picture is fantastic. No ringing, no ghosts (unless I'm watching "Casper").

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Out of interest,

why use F to rca adaptors on the ends of the cables ?

why not just use rca plugs at the end of the RG6 cable ?

I've been told RG59 is better for video

and RG6 is better for TV and cable signal ?

------------------

Laz

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
RG6 is better period. It's rated a consistent 75 ohms. RG59 is just cheaper...cuz it isn't rated a consistent 75 ohms. That's its only advantage (price).

You want 75 ohms for all video signals.

-dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.