AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently considering the Sony VW11HT PJ as my high cost option (vs. the Infocus LS110.) I could probably get acceptable blacks with a Greyhawk, but I'm worried about screendoor. Has anyone here seen the 10HT or 11HT with the Cygnus subpixel lens? Theoretically it would be a nice combo.

NOTE: I know these Sony PJs aren't that popular around here, but I'm a Sony nut and the 30db noise it very attractive to me.

·
Registered
675 Posts
JB,

I have a 10HT with the Cygnus lens. I don't think screendoor is a problem with this pj, and from what I understand, even less with an 11HT. I got the Cygnus because the 10HT and a Stewart microperf screen can result in moire problems with certain combinations of screen size and pj distance. The Cygnus reduces the moire by a great amount (90%?). I'm very happy with the setup.

I don't come to the LCD/DLP forum that often, so I can't comment on their acceptance of the 10HT/11HT. I know that a while back there were hot and fiery threads of pro- and anti- 10HT views; I assume that's toned down. IMHO, you'll be very happy with an 11HT.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the coments. I'm also considering going with a microperf Greyhawk (I'm assuming that's the one that allows sound through.) That makes me a little nervous. The Cygnus lens would be a later addition.

Does the lens/filter give a more 3D "filmlike" picture? Is it similar to DLP?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I were you I'd take the minimalist approach...Start with just the projector and the Greyhawk 1st. Then if you have problems (ie... moire ) fix them then. I say this because I have had 4 different 10HT's using a DALITE Matte White Screen. Each 10HT displayed the moire pattern differently. It's funny, my 1st 10HT was the worst almost unwatchable... The 2nd thru the 4th were moderately to barely noticable. (I'm a custom installer by the way-not a nut case who just kept returning the 10HT's)

I have also found each 10HT or any projector for that matter to have a slightly different picture. Meaning that I have never seen 2 identical models look exactly alike. I think this may contribute to why there seems to be such a varying opinion on the 10HT.

If your are truly a SONY nut, then you might want to consider one of their 4/3 panel LCD projectors (ie..PX20, PX21, PX30 or PX31) along with a panamorph lens. I personally find these projectors higher lumen output (1400 to 2800), micro lens array (PX30/31 only), better lens quality, and apparently better contrast ratio to offer the consumer a great alternative pick, especially if ambient light is an issue. These units are more or less about the same money as the 10/11HT (street price) and come with the same warranty, etc... Now I have never seen this units matched up with a panamorph lens, however, I'm sure someone else out there has. More importantly, I have never seen the dreaded "moire" problem. These units also use the same service menu codes as the 10HT for tweak happy picture person...

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Cygnus was designed to eliminate the "screen door" on lower res. pj's. I've use it with much success with older sharp's incl. 96, 55, and 99. The DW100 did not benefit from the cygnus, and I would be very suprised if the much higher res Sony would benefit from the defocusing involve with the Cygnus. BTW, I am a custom a/v designer with about 9 years experience. I have a Sony 10 myself, and a Cygnus at the shop. If you are interested, email me privately, and I will bring it home to play with, and share the results.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
 This page may help. In it are some pictures (and simulations) of the Cygnus lens with various projectors.

There are even pictures of the Sony 10HT.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info all. That's why this forum, and many others of different focus, are so great.

Gkeas, what a wonderful offer. Although I'm very curious, I wouldn't want to put you through the trouble. I am, however, leaning more and more towards the VW11HT. I wouldn't be able to get the Cygnus until sometime next year. I suppose I wanted to know in advance if I'll be able to "upgrade" my PJ setup later on. Besides screendoor, I was also hoping the lens/filter would give a more 3D, "filmy" look. I'm an aspiring filmmaker with a very sensitive eye towards cinematography. That's one of the reasons I love projectors. There's just nothing like a projected image, video or otherwise.

Also, I keep eyeing my potention HT room and setup. It's looking more and more like I'll need a microperf screen to keep the center channel within a decent position from the screen. How would this really affect my picture on a 80 - 96" wide Greyhawk?

Again, thanks all. It's easy to forget just how much help a few comments can be to someone without experience in any given subject/application. I'm glad you all take the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.