AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are thinking a before school starts Outdoor movie night for the neighborhood/kids friends& family on 9/4 or 9/5.

Do you think my Sony-VW60 would project decently enough onto a cheap DIY 16' cloth screen outdoors?

I'd just temp staple/nail the screen to my garage log siding:

I'd use the PS3 for blu-ray and my 10 year old Onkyo 787/AT350's for 5.1 sound.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Sure! You'll have an awesome pic with that! The lumens are a bit on the low side (I think that is less than 1000, right?), but you should still be fine.

With the garage setup like that you are in a perfect spot! I'm jealous!

Of course, we'll all want pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex /forum/post/17001332

My wife and I are thinking a before school starts Outdoor movie night for the neighborhood/kids friends& family on 9/4 or 9/5.

Do you think my Sony-VW60 would project decently enough onto a cheap DIY 16' cloth screen outdoors?

I'd just temp staple/nail the screen to my garage log siding:

I'd use the PS3 for blu-ray and my 10 year old Onkyo 787/AT350's for 5.1 sound.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet, second Q:

Using http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php I found my sunset time:
Quote:
Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for Howell, Livingston County, Michigan (longitude W83.9, latitude N42.6):

Friday

4 September 2009 Eastern Daylight Time

SUN

Begin civil twilight 6:35 a.m.

Sunrise 7:04 a.m.

Sun transit 1:35 p.m.

Sunset 8:04 p.m.

End civil twilight 8:33 p.m.

Do you usually plan the event at "sunset", knowing it's not dark yet for gathering time, set-up the chairs/etc, then start the movie at "end civil twilight" - darkness, or what?

PJ has 900 lumens,I just bought a new bulb 3 weeks ago from avs but not installed, so it would be a "bright" VW60 via new bulb.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex /forum/post/17001416

Do you usually plan the event at "sunset", knowing it's not dark yet for gathering time, set-up the chairs/etc, then start the movie at "end civil twilight" - darkness, or what?

I go all out, even though at times it is only the family and a few friends. I have a pre-show DVD that I make that is around 55 minutes long. The first half hour is basically music with movie slides - no one is ever there an hour before hand (unless we have a BBQ and movie night), so the music is really for me to listen to while I finish the setup.

Tomorrow, for example, I'm planning on a movie start time of 8:45. Looking out the window the last few days we could start a bit earlier, but I've already told folks. Anyway, so I'll have people start showing up around 8:15, with the movie starting at 8:45.

I use two players, one for the pre-show disc and another with the movie all set to go. So, once ready switch the input and push play.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
We usually tell people the movie starts at dark, but to arrive within an hour before hand for snacks, drinks, socializing and setting up. I have not been specific about when we show the movie compared to sunset, etc., but I estimate we start showing the movie about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after sunset.

I am jealous - I wish I had a movie night planned tonight - finally supposed to be some great weather around here (NW Chicago).

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1st Movie time Fri 9/4 results:

As for the BOC screen I ended up going with, I was overwhelmed with it's PQ and image.

Exceeded all my expectations.

Very bright/pop to the image.

With my Sony PJ VW60 @ 900 lumens I was kinda worried the image would be not bright, heck it was super bright.

Contrast was fantastic, 1080p blu-ray is worth every penny.

Of course I just put in a brand new bulb about 2 hours before showtime, but still I was nervous the picture would be dull/dim but this picture rocked!

These picts are taken handheld with my point/shoot Canon set to Iso 3200, movie being played not stopped.

Here is picture of the pre-show clip "One man band" from Pixar.

It was a fullmoon and totally clear night, you can see the west facing garage side did block the "moonlight".

These 2 are the main feature "Bolt" from my seated position 28' from screen, on RH side of the PJ stand area, pictures un-cropped and as taken:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.