AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's probably edge lit. I just noticed the 850c on their site as well. I bought a 60" w850b that I haven't opened yet a few days ago. I'm thinking about returning it and pre-ordering a 65" w850c. I dunno though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then why do Sony (on their official website too) have it listed as Direct LED? I would surely hope it wasn't edgelit because with the little time I spent with my 60" W850B before I returned it due to banding the backlight bleed was pretty bad, especially when watching the TV in the dark. Anyways, if it wasn't for the banding the W850B would have been the perfect TV for me, I fell in love with it as all I use my TV for is gaming, and the PQ was breathtaking. Here's hoping the new W850c delivers.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Then why do Sony (on their official website too) have it listed as Direct LED? I would surely hope it wasn't edgelit because with the little time I spent with my 60" W850B before I returned it due to banding the backlight bleed was pretty bad, especially when watching the TV in the dark. Anyways, if it wasn't for the banding the W850B would have been the perfect TV for me, I fell in love with it as all I use my TV for is gaming, and the PQ was breathtaking. Here's hoping the new W850c delivers.
I'm virtually positive that the 65W850C is Edge-Lit and not Direct-Lit, and that their webpage is simply wrong (not unheard of from Sony and Panasonic). Direct-Lit LED TVs are typically low end models with the LEDs located behind the LCD Panel but this makes the TV thicker than edge-lit models, and there is no dimming.

The W850B (as well as my W800B) has what they call "Edge LED backlighting with frame dimming" but on the W850C model's information page it says "frame dimming" but no mention of "Edge", but since the 65W850C is only 3.125" thick it has to be Edge-Lit. If it were Direct-Lit it would be a lot thicker so it's most likely not actually Direct-Lit.

Their focus for 2015 is on the UHD X models, so i'm thinking that the 2015 1080p C models will just be carry-over 2014 B models with a few slight changes.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Sony store W850C specs states :
Backlight Type: Direct LED
Display Device: LCD
Dimming Type: Frame Dimming

Sony store X950B Flagship FALD:
Backlight Type: LED
Display Device: LCD
Dimming Type: Local Dimming

Originally the X950B was referred to as being Direct LED by sony, because of the confusion that caused (Direct LED _ Direct LIT) they changed that into Backlight Type: LED :confused:. My guess would be that all current sony's are referred to as being Direct LED even though only the top of the line seems to be Full Array.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm virtually positive that the 65W850C is Edge-Lit and not Direct-Lit, and that their webpage is simply wrong (not unheard of from Sony and Panasonic). Direct-Lit LED TVs are typically low end models with the LEDs located behind the LCD Panel but this makes the TV thicker than edge-lit models, and there is no dimming.

The W850B (as well as my W800B) has what they call "Edge LED backlighting with frame dimming" but on the W850C model's information page it says "frame dimming" but no mention of "Edge", but since the 65W850C is only 3.125" thick it has to be Edge-Lit. If it were Direct-Lit it would be a lot thicker so it's most likely not actually Direct-Lit.

Their focus for 2015 is on the UHD X models, so i'm thinking that the 2015 1080p C models will just be carry-over 2014 B models with a few slight changes.

yea most likely. They did away with the wedge shape. I think that got a lot of negative feedback. I don't mind it but apparently the sound wasn't even good and most people with big tvs like that have sound systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts