AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to do some research but couldn't find a solid comparison between the 2 models. I've seen the W850B in person (which was very impressive) but not the W950B. My biggest question between the 2 is what's the better buy, a 55" 950 or a 60" 850. At the same price ($1,600) is having a 950 with triluminos (basically the only difference) worth giving up 5" of screen size?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Tried to do some research but couldn't find a solid comparison between the 2 models. I've seen the W850B in person (which was very impressive) but not the W950B. My biggest question between the 2 is what's the better buy, a 55" 950 or a 60" 850. At the same price ($1,600) is having a 950 with triluminos (basically the only difference) worth giving up 5" of screen size?
From what i can see from the specs on Sonys website when you compare the 2 and select differences

3D 950 Passive 85 Active

dimming 950 Local dimming 850 Frame dimming
950 has the triluminos display

·
Registered
309 Posts
Avoid W950b ! It has IPS panel with poor blacks. W850b use SPVA 4 which has great blacks and great matte screen coating.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Avoid W950b ! It has IPS panel with poor blacks. W850b use SPVA 4 which has great blacks and great matte screen coating.
Both are fine TV's. If you watch a lot in a dark room definitely go with the w850b. If not then it depends if you want a 55 or 60 inch tv. Always go with the largest screen you can afford.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Definitely don't get the w950b. I have it in my home right now and the blacks are terrible. Reflection is bad as well. I wanted to love this TV but I can't.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Both are fine TV's. If you watch a lot in a dark room definitely go with the w850b. If not then it depends if you want a 55 or 60 inch tv. Always go with the largest screen you can afford.
This is true, it also depends on how much one's furniture can comfortably accommodate a certain size, too. Measuring my bedroom desk (master bedroom), it seems that it can accommodate about a 50" spread from edge to edge, so logically, it can fit a 55" without spilling over the desk's edges. Also, it all depends on what your soundbar or soundstand can accommodate if you choose to place the TV on top of one. A 60" would probably be pushing it, it MIGHT fit, but...certainly don't want to burst at the seams in terms of what the furniture would be able to support comfortably.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What do you guys think about the vibrancy/colors on the 850b compared to the 950b? Does the w950b triluminous make a difference? (Since it's not as good as the w900a triluminous with the quantum dots)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I thought the 950b looked better then the 850b at best buy. The colors looked a lot better. I didn't look much at the blacks. I rather have good color then good blacks, but if it's for home theater use with light controlled room, I can see why you would need better blacks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts