AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 week old Sony UTV had one of its tuners die. I called in to Sony support yesterday and they said I would need to arrange to send it in for repair and it would take about 3 weeks before I got it back. The warranty included in the UTV box says on page 29 that Sony will ship me a replacement unit FedEx overnight as part of their "Express Support Program" as long as I provide a valid credit card as a deposit. Sony will pay freight both ways.

When I asked the tech support guy about this, he said he would need to check the details of the warranty on this model, but that division was already closed for the weekend.

Has anyone else tried to use this method to get a replacement unit? I don't really want to be without this for 3 weeks and pay shipping myself if their warranty says I can get an advance replacement.

Also what happens to the access card when you send a unit in for repair? Do you send that in too? Does the returned unit always have the same card or do you have to call DSS to say it has changed?

Has Sony changed the terms of their warranty, or are they just trying to avoid having to pay for shipping and a replacement unit?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I talked with Sony about this today, they claim it was a misprint and that the Express Support program does not exist for the UTV recievers. I think this is a crock and that they should honor their misprint since they obviously didn't bother to reprint the booklet.

·
Banned
176 Posts
will49:

I wish I had noticed that statement before I sent my unit in for repair.

If I were you, I would talk to a supervisor & if needed, fax a copy of the warranty to him/her. If the warranty actually says this, then they should honor it.

When you talk to these reps, make sure you ask them for their names/employee ID #s and their location. If the supervisor tries to blow you off, ask him/her for *their* supervisor's name, location & phone number. I would push this point...and not back off.

*But* if you'd rather not spend the time doing this, you could just ship your unit back & wait the 3 weeks or so.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I completely agree.....You should call back and demand that they honor what the manual says.....even if it is a misprint.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree with glenw and NLogN in principle that you should take a hard line with these guys and escalate until they honor what they print. However, bear in mind that if you push them until they give in, then what you are likely to get is some repaired machine they have available to send to you. (I'm assuming here that with this "Express Support Program" you get a replacement and send in your old one, never to be seen again ... and that it is not a "loaner" program until your UTV comes back.) It is highly unlikely that they will have any new machines available. So, you have to make a choice between getting your UTV back with the known problem supposedly fixed, or getting someone else's broken UTV back with an unknown problem perhaps (probably?) fixed. I opted for the first choice when I went through a similar situation with a Toshiba DVD player. The good part was that when it broke with the same symptoms after being "repaired" twice, I was able to force them to send me a new device (it was even a newer, better model, since the original was discontinued). However, I've also taken the opposite approach in the past with my Palm, since I couldn't live without it for even a few days. Your call.

·
Registered
104 Posts
From what I gather, from speaking with three different people at Sony, is that it truly is a misprint, meaning they don't have any machines set up to send anyone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem with Sony. I did everything I could think of to get them to cross-ship a replacement unit. Sony flat out refused. I called back and talked to several people. They are not set up to do this, and they don't care what the fine print says.

RCA does cross-ship. Something to consider when buying a unit. Also, my RCA units have not had near the problems as these Sonys. As a result, I recently bought a new TV, and I opted for the RCA over the Sony.

If this is the way Sony does business, then I'll let them know my feelings with my pocketbook.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well my RCA came with an addendum to the manual for corrections.... not sure what Sony's problem is here..

I am not an RCA fan either when it comes to service... I had problems with an older model RCA receiver that RCA never acknowledged as a problem ... their philosophy is if it fails after 90 days regardless as to why it's your problem...

The only consumer product I have purchased in the past 10 years with excellent service has been "Delta" faucet and "Maytag" appliance.. I had problems with these products three or more years afterwords and these manufactures corrected or replaced the product at no cost to me... now that's service.. I didn't even ask or expect that.... :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I called Sony and brought this to their attention about the policy they said that it didn't apply to UTV and they claimed that the manual states that the policy is "subject to change".

No matter who I spoke to at the Sony food chain they wouldn't budge.

Based on my experiences with the Sony W-60 (having received one defective unit then two defective replacements) the Sony name means nothing when it comes to UTV receivers.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome to the Sony experience. Those of us who are former Sony wh***s will tell you of problem after problem with this company. It seems that it started about ten years ago, when small to medium screen manufacturing was shifted from Japan to San Jose CA to Mexico. I think there was a change in attitude at the company as well.

Sony used to be Sony. Now it's just one more oursourcer, buying the cheapest components from the lowest bidder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.