AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any major pro's and cons? I have always liked the sammy and thought that would be my first HDTV, but the sony LCD is much less and the picture looked almost the smae when I compared them side by side (in HD and SD).

What about sports on LCD...any fuzziness?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I was deciding between these two sets myself and I went with the GW III. If you get a high-def feed sports are going to look amazing. I've seen football games on these tv's in the stores and it looked fantastic. I'm thrilled with movies and games on my tv as well. You can't beat the price of the GW III's and I just feel more secure having an LCD projection instead of a complicated DLP set. As one salesperson told me "The LCD just has less moving parts inside which makes a problem much less likely than a DLP".

Tiger

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do a search on these two tv's in this forum and you will see huge debate on them. Depends on what you will be doing and what you're looking for in a TV on what decision you will come up with. I had the same question on another forum and it all came down to what I liked. I got the DLP by the way. Beautiful and not a single problem out of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do the current generation of LCD and DLP sets show any streaking with high speed sports action?

I saw a football game in HD at a Sony store in Chicago last year. The picture was incredible but I did notice some streaking. I don't know if it was an LCD set.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tigerriot
I was deciding between these two sets myself and I went with the GW III. If you get a high-def feed sports are going to look amazing. I've seen football games on these tv's in the stores and it looked fantastic. I'm thrilled with movies and games on my tv as well. You can't beat the price of the GW III's and I just feel more secure having an LCD projection instead of a complicated DLP set. As one salesperson told me "The LCD just has less moving parts inside which makes a problem much less likely than a DLP".

Tiger
I would much rather go with the DLP, better contrast ratios. One downside i can see about dlp is that the lamp has to be replaced, which is not covered by the extended warranties that the retailers offer you.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mfequity
Do the current generation of LCD and DLP sets show any streaking with high speed sports action?
LCD sets will tend to show more smearing during high-speed pans than a DLP will. Whether or not it's enough to be noticeable to you is another issue...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tigerriot
As one salesperson told me "The LCD just has less moving parts inside which makes a problem much less likely than a DLP".

Tiger
It's also got 3x as many pixels to go bad, or to be bad from the factory. It also has color filters that can potentially fade over time (not likely in your lifetime, but it's a factor).

Each of these technologies has its flaws...

·
Registered
64 Posts
To me---it's a no brainer---buy the set thats hundreds of dollars cheaper because there's not a dimes worth of difference between the picture displays. Both have marvelous pictures.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
The price difference is not quite a no-brainer with me, because I think there IS some difference in picture quality. Both marvelous on bright scenes yes, but the LCD decidedly less marvelous on black level, dark scenes, and a bluish background tint on dark scenes viewed in dimly lit rooms. Better than before? Definitely! But I think the price difference does accurately reflect the difference in picture quality perceived, as for all other things being equal, the Sony brand would ascribe more loyalty and value than Samsung, up to this point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Roper
The price difference is not quite a no-brainer with me, because I think there IS some difference in picture quality. Both marvelous on bright scenes yes, but the LCD decidedly less marvelous on black level, dark scenes, and a bluish background tint on dark scenes viewed in dimly lit rooms. Better than before? Definitely! But I think the price difference does accurately reflect the difference in picture quality perceived, as for all other things being equal, the Sony brand would ascribe more loyalty and value than Samsung, up to this point.
This is why nobody can ultimately answer these questions for anybody else. The hints are very helpful but you have to put in time in front of the TVs to see what floats your boat. I have the GWIII and I did have to do some tuning to improve the black levels, but I never saw blue blacks or gray blacks (significant black crush out of the box, yes). Not that others don't, I just don't. And the picture on the GWIII looked noticeably better to me than the DLP. We just see different things when we look at these sets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a January build 60" GWIII and the out of tbe box color settings are perfect to me and my guests. I can honestly say that I do not have problems with dark scenes or a bluish background tint on dark scenes viewed in dimly lit rooms. I 've even turned the lights totally out and the dark scenes and blacks look great. From what I hear the GWIII improved drastically in these areas compared to earlier moderl LCD projection sets. It truely is your decision though....what looks best to you. I think DLP looks great too, especially the new Runco DLP front projectors, but that's a different story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.