AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony Wega CRT TV and yesterday it wouldn't display any picture. Not even snow. It's always taken a few moments to fire up when turned on but this time nothing at all. The little light for the "Standby Mode" flashes like usual but then nothing and it seems the set turns off.

I am hooked up to cable and I have it running through a Pioneer HT Reveiver for the surround sound (took me ages to get that setup and running....). It won't display unless you have the reciever on the TV or DVD setting. I tired both without any success so I believe the problem lies in the TV it'self.

OK, my questions....

Is this something that is probably simple to fix and therefor worth fixing? I think the set is about 10 years old.

If not should I look at getting a HD set to replace it? I understand that HD will be the standard broadcast for cable, satelite, and over the air in the next year or so.

If I replace the set should I look at a CRT or should I get a flat screen LCD/Plasma, etc.?

Obviously I am not technically inclined nor am I up on all the technical terminology. I don't understand terms like:

DLP

HDMI

DVI

If anyone could elaborate on these and what they mean it would help. I miss the old stereo days, life was SO simple then...

Never mind the help with these terms, I just found the glossary!

TIA for any suggestions or opinions!

·
Registered
674 Posts
From the sound of it seems like the set is toast. If no picture comes on and the satndby light just blinks that pretty much means either call for service, or time for a new TV
10 years old is pretty old to for a TV set. I wouldn't spend the money to get it fixed and just look into a HD set, this way your all set to go when HDcable is the standard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the response, greatly appreciate it. I was afraid that was probably the case that the set has passed into the great electronic junkyard....

Now I have to decide if I get a standard HD TV or go for a LCD/PLasma Flat screen set. Time to learn all about this stuff and the myriad of new terminology that goes with it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.