AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 28 (Bloomberg) -- Samsung Electronics Co. is in talks with Sony Corp. to supply television panels using light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, as backlights, the Seoul Economic Daily reported, citing industry officials it didn’t identify.

Samsung seeks to supply Sony with TV panels measuring 40 inches, 46 inches and 55 inches, the Korean-language newspaper said today. Samsung doesn’t plan to supply chips related to LED technology to any of its competitors for now, the report said.

Samsung sold more than 650,000 LED TVs globally since it started producing them in March, Seoul Economic said.

"The prices of 40-inch LED TVs are expected to drop to $1,399 during the 2009 Black Friday sales season in the American market, which should help boost LED TVs' penetration into development markets," Soh said.

THE BIGGEST mistake for SONY is they Corp with Samsung to bulid S-LCD , SONY can choose corp with AUO or Chimei but they don't. the thing is when you corporate with Samsung nearly all the store rep give wrong info to customer that Sony buy panel from samsung and it hurt Sony long time reputations...........Sony used to have unique Trintron but now their panel is identical with Samsung, how Sony fans will think? ............. plus if you buy from Samsung and panel cost is control by samsung. how can you make price more competitive? think about it after 2003 S-LCD built, SONY never come back to NO.1 market share in TV.

LED chip is an example here, Samsung won't release to SONY after 6 months.

The Samsung 55"B6000 is lower than 2K now, I believe LED model will take at least 30% LCD TV market share next year, Displayresearch said need wait 2013, I don't think it take that long.

·
Banned
407 Posts
Noob question:

Why doesn't Sony just make their own panels? Aren't they big enough to create a factory just like the other 2 large S brands (Sharp and Samsung)? Their use of outsourcing just isn't as competitive. Cmon' Sony and Samsung are in competition, but yet the negotiate
Outsourcing isn't always the best thing.

But Sony is now partnered with SHarp! So we will see Sony with Sharp panels in the future. Sharp is japanese brand - even with competition, I'd say there is a better lease with a partnership with Sharp.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/16906142

Noob question:

Why doesn't Sony just make their own panels? Aren't they big enough to create a factory just like the other 2 large S brands (Sharp and Samsung)? Their use of outsourcing just isn't as competitive. Cmon' Sony and Samsung are in competition, but yet the negotiate
Outsourcing isn't always the best thing.

But Sony is now partnered with SHarp! So we will see Sony with Sharp panels in the future. Sharp is japanese brand - even with competition, I'd say there is a better lease with a partnership with Sharp.

I agree with you Sony has got one of the best Tv. Buying Panel from samsung sounds like a bogus news.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Oh god not this again

Sony partnership with Samsung was one of the best moves by Sony to date because it allows them to focus on long-term technologies such as F-LCD and OLED.

We all know AM-LCD and PDP are just stop gap technologies, and Sony failed to see them as long term investments.

Also, Samsung has been supplying panels to Sony (and various other manufactures) for years (including the LED based system). Sony also buys panels from AUO and Sharp (as well as CMO and CPT to use on their budget range).

Samsung also buys panels from AUO and CMO to maximize production capacity.

This panel lottery scheme has been active for years and it's nothing new.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Quote:

Sony added Sharp to their short list. Their contract with Samsung, AUO, CMO and CPT are still valid.

Also, today's sharp panels are inferior compared to AUO's 3G A-MVA and Samsung 3G S-PVA. It's one of the reasons why the 42" version is cheaper than the 40" version.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:

...Why doesn't Sony just make their own panels? Aren't they big enough to create a factory ...Outsourcing isn't always the best thing....

I'm sure they could, but outsourcing has it's advantages. Build your own plant and you're somewhat stuck with what it produces. Shop around and you've got choices. If a plant is producing substandard panels you can look elsewhere. These plants are extremely expensive so that makes sense.

As Nielo TM points out it's really hard to tell what the long-term winner(s) will be among various technologies. So it makes sense not to sink too much capital into one. LEDs have made great strides in the past few years. They have become far more efficient, stable and have far better spectrum characteristics then even a few years ago. They've also become much cheaper to produce with good quality.

You now see them showing up in new niches such as home lighting. So I think they look set to dominate in the medium future, and the LCD panel will probably continue to be the best match for LEDs.

In the long-term (say 20+ years) all kinds of new developments such as OLED are possible, but it's really hard to predict. Life is interesting.

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
First, the industry as usual is confused in its reporting. Does LED backlighting mean edge-lite or true local dimming? Reporting vague and confused terminology helps the inferior Samsung edg-lite gain a stronger foothold.

Second, Sony has never been a leader in LCD technology. With an American CEO they think short term profits only. If Stringer had his way Sony would have never developed the PS3 with incidentally "saved" the Blu-ray format. (I'm buying 2+ discs a week not that we succeeded it cutting their street prices).

The point here is Sony needs to invest in manufacturing and R&D, like Intel or Samsung or LG. But they won't be like that ever again. As a result Samsung is the new Sony. My advice is to watch the brain-dead Sony Movies (with excellent picture, sound and special effects) on a Samsung, LG on Toshiba true local dimming display.

Third LCD displays are rapidly switching over to LED lighting (both the low-cost edge and high-performance local dimming). As plasma consumes 2-3 times the power their days are numbered.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sony doesn't have the advantages of Samsung, LG, Toshiba etc... It is a consumer based brand with minute commercial appeal.

Also, most of their current products are being beaten by competitors. They no longer have that safe ground.

Sony has to expand its wings and move in to sectors such as commercial, medical, military, heavy industry etc...

Having said that, they are investing heavily in OLED, F-LCD etc...

I used to be a fan of Sony and still am (to an extent), but they need a massive boost right about now.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun /forum/post/16906503

First, the industry as usual is confused in its reporting. Does LED backlighting mean edge-lite or true local dimming? Reporting vague and confused terminology helps the inferior Samsung edg-lite gain a stronger foothold.

Second, Sony has never been a leader in LCD technology. With an American CEO they think short term profits only. If Stringer had his way Sony would have never developed the PS3 with incidentally "saved" the Blu-ray format. (I'm buying 2+ discs a week not that we succeeded it cutting their street prices).

The point here is Sony needs to invest in manufacturing and R&D, like Intel or Samsung or LG. But they won't be like that ever again. As a result Samsung is the new Sony. My advice is to watch the brain-dead Sony Movies (with excellent picture, sound and special effects) on a Samsung, LG on Toshiba true local dimming display.

Third LCD displays are rapidly switching over to LED lighting (both the low-cost edge and high-performance local dimming). As plasma consumes 2-3 times the power their days are numbered.

Although I strongly agree with your opinion on the led backlights,I cant agree with the second part though:

1)it has no relation with the panel supplying

2)it is completely wrong.You might dont like sony,but although they had its bad moments during the bad years(2001-2005),lets even say 2006,Striger is indeed the saver,the innovation saver,want it or not,like it or not.Without him,I doupt if sony was able to cope with the recession!!And yes,sony is spending R&D and heavily,it wasnt for some years,but we will reap the benefits soon,sooner than you would expect.Samsung will never reach samsung.They might still introduce excellent products on the whole no doupt ,but its their way of manufacturing,that will always be cheaply made,aiming at sales.Ahh and not to forget,XBR8 is a local dimming true LED lcd tv(actually the best or one of the best lcd's at the moment).

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Buying parts form others and then working on the software and processing end allows 2 things.

Its cheaper for Sony to not buid huge plants and workers creating more profit for them on each set.

It also allows them to be more adaptable and change panels for better ones and or total technology changes if they so desire.

They bailed on plasma early and this allows them to bail on LCD for whatever the flavor of the year technology comes along.

Then they can focus on doing one of the things they do better. Processing.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM /forum/post/16906919

Sony still produces plasma panels, but only for the commercial sector.

and I believe they use Samsung panel.

I am pretty sure Sony does not make a plasma set even for commercial use. They left plasma in 04-05

I went to all the usual suspect business sites and could find nothing but projector or LCD flat panel solutions.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's sounds like sony needs to learn how to walk and chew gum and the same time. They do however need to push out OLED with an equal but genuine advertising campaign to that of samsungs LED tv's. That is exactly what sony needs right now. They need to be first to push out 32", 40", 46", in the mainstream. Knowing sony they will overprice and not spend enough on advertising though. Poor leadership may be the death of them.

·
Banned
2,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGEOFROMGREE /forum/post/16906850

Although I strongly agree with your opinion on the led backlights,I cant agree with the second part though:
Samsung will never reach samsung.

However we do need to edit the .inp files as VSIM does not want to comment out much of the code that Akron did.

This reminds me of a cat trying to catch its own tail. A symptom of strong brand loyalty which is all-too-easy for others to observe. Wasn't there a song called Cat Scratch Fever?

Sony is investing in Sharp LCDs. That is a good sign -as they both need to help each other in better competing with South Korea and China based companies.

Looking back, it's apparent that 99% of all American CE manufacturing companies and now Pioneer and Sony were casualties of low cost labor and globalization.

·
Banned
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike /forum/post/16906953

I am pretty sure Sony does not make a plasma set even for commercial use. They left plasma in 04-05

I went to all the usual suspect business sites and could find nothing but projector or LCD flat panel solutions.

Sony plasma displays
http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/subcat...lasma-displays

Very little info though... although they do list retailers for them. NOS, maybe?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.