AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a tricky situation and I just want a bit of advice before I hunker it down for good. I'm using the aforementioned sub with nothing but my tvs built in speakers which is what it was designed for.

When I can afford I'll be buying a full 5.1 setup including a new sub but for now I wanted atleast "okay" audio out of my new tv.

I'm using the xbr950b which Sony was kind enough to charge double for but strip the premium sound. It leaves it with 2 tweeters and 1 woofer which are decent for TV speakwea but meh..

Anyhow, the sub helps tremendously as You can imagine but I'm trying to milk this for all its worth. On setup it set the sub at 90hz with a reverse phase. No clue how it discerned this without a peep of audio coming from it first but that's besides the point.

After some fiddling I changed the phase to normal and the xover to 150hz. (Will go up to 250). I can't find the frequency response on the TV speakers anywhere so I have nothing to go on but my ears which aren't very trained to be honest.

Anyone care to offer some suggestions on whether 150 is too high in this case? Or if I should go even higher? All the guidelines I'm used to reading about are hard to or do not apply in my situation due to having no real "mains"

Even better would be someone with a similar setup to chime in but I know that's a tall order lol.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You set the cut off freq at 65hz range, any higher will result in boomy sounding bass instead of the deeper bass that you are looking for.

It also depends on where you are placing the sub, if it is just in front of you, you can try cutting it off at 100hz for a beginning and slowly go lower, depending on your room size and acoustics.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a bit of a tricky situation and I just want a bit of advice before I hunker it down for good. I'm using the aforementioned sub with nothing but my tvs built in speakers which is what it was designed for.

When I can afford I'll be buying a full 5.1 setup including a new sub but for now I wanted atleast "okay" audio out of my new tv.

I'm using the xbr950b which Sony was kind enough to charge double for but strip the premium sound. It leaves it with 2 tweeters and 1 woofer which are decent for TV speakwea but meh..

Anyhow, the sub helps tremendously as You can imagine but I'm trying to milk this for all its worth. On setup it set the sub at 90hz with a reverse phase. No clue how it discerned this without a peep of audio coming from it first but that's besides the point.

After some fiddling I changed the phase to normal and the xover to 150hz. (Will go up to 250). I can't find the frequency response on the TV speakers anywhere so I have nothing to go on but my ears which aren't very trained to be honest.

Anyone care to offer some suggestions on whether 150 is too high in this case? Or if I should go even higher? All the guidelines I'm used to reading about are hard to or do not apply in my situation due to having no real "mains"

Even better would be someone with a similar setup to chime in but I know that's a tall order lol.

thanks guys!
I just got my SWF-BR100 today and loving it.. I set mine at 150hz and it's nice.. My level is 5.. I'm curious what level you set yours to and what your EQ settings are like? (Cinema? normal?) TY

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am gonna say 100hz ish probably 150hz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts