AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony working on same-screen 3D multiplayer, holographics for PS3?

Quote:
"In regards to that we have some new technology that we've shown to developers that uses 3D techniques, it allows two players to play full screen multi-player games but without each being able to see the others view, and they have been massively keen on them."
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/24/s...phics-for-ps3/

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I've done the same screen thing with 2 projectors, 2 PS3s, 2 copies of MX vs ATV: Reflex, and multiple sets of Dolby 3D Digital Cinema glasses. For the 2 players I swap the lenses so that 1 player has 2 left lenses and the other has 2 right lenses. Then for viewers I just give them the glasses without modification and they can view either player's image by closing one eye. With this method each PS3 is using its power to do full screen for 1 player instead of a kind of split screen. I should also mention that I put one lens on each projector, and the PS3s needed to be on the network.

It worked pretty well, but when one player went into the dark and one in the light there could be quite a bit of bleed through. And one image was pretty green and one pretty red. But it was still worth it. A similar thing could be done with polarizing lenses and a screen that retains polarization.

--Darin

·
Registered
787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/19544398

A similar thing could be done with polarizing lenses and a screen that retains polarization.

It would be difficult with polarisation, I've got a polarised dual projector 3D system and polarised displays ghost a lot compared to the Dolby3D/Infitec method. You would clearly see the other player's picture all the time regardless of the contrast between the views.

You'd need a breakthrough in screen technology capable of maintaining polarisation an order of magnitude better than current "silverscreens" or interlaced micro-polariser based LCD TVs.

At the moment the only systems with low enough crosstalk to display two completely different pictures properly are Dolby3D/Infitec and DLP with shutter glasses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts