AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to buy a new 43" for the bedroom.
I will just be playing the sound through the TV

Has anyone compared the video quality, upscaling of 1080P to 4K, and sound quality of these two sets?

I am leaning towards the Sony because it will play DTS movies natively from the USB port.
I think the Samsung would require me to convert my videos from DTS to DD5.1 which is a pain.

·
Registered
963 Posts

Has anyone compared the video quality, upscaling of 1080P to 4K, and sound quality of these two sets?

I am leaning towards the Sony because it will play DTS movies natively from the USB port.
I think the Samsung would require me to convert my videos from DTS to DD5.1 which is a pain.
While I have not compared these two sets. I have compared several models of the Samsung (Q70R-80-90) to Sony’s. And in all cases the Sony had better upscaling.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
RTINGs seems to prefer the Samsung:

"The best 43 inch TV we've tested so far is the Samsung QN43Q60TAFXZA. It's an entry-level TV in Samsung's QLED lineup that has good overall performance and impressive out-of-the-box color accuracy. This TV uses a VA panel, so it has outstanding dark room performance thanks to its incredible contrast ratio and fantastic black uniformity."

I was biased towards the Sony but now I'm not sure because I briefly saw the X800H and Q60T at Best Buy. Same store-wide feed from COAX. I only saw it for about 5 minutes because the salesman had to change the input on both TVs to the BestBuy loop but both TVs switched themselves back to their own internal demo footage after 5 minutes. So very short time to compare.

In these 5 minutes, I thought the colors in general seemed better on the X800H but that the Q60T had more convincing flesh tones on people's faces. The Q60T had more dirty screen effect while the X800H looked very uniform. The motion was smoother on the Q60T which surprised me. There was a scene where a mountain with a lake in front was panned from right to left. It was smooth on the Q60T but it looked a little jerky on the X800H. People walking and turning around quickly produced ghosting on the X800H that I did not see on the Q60T. I have no idea what settings each TV was set to but I assume they were factory defaults since the remotes are kept away from the customers. Both are 60hz panels so no 120hz motion with either 43" set. There was no sound to compare. I went in thinking the Sony would mop the floor with the Q60T and the salesman was talking up the X800H like the Q60T isn't even close, but for what I saw the Q60T seemed like it might have the edge. I think I am more sensitive to less convincing flesh tones, less smooth motion, and ghosting so when I see them, I sour on the TV. I did not get to see 1080P BluRay upsampling which is also important. I need to go back when I feel daring. COVID19 has kept me away from stores. The 43" Q60T was really nice.

·
Registered
585 Posts
RTINGs seems to prefer the Samsung:

"The best 43 inch TV we've tested so far is the Samsung QN43Q60TAFXZA. It's an entry-level TV in Samsung's QLED lineup that has good overall performance and impressive out-of-the-box color accuracy. This TV uses a VA panel, so it has outstanding dark room performance thanks to its incredible contrast ratio and fantastic black uniformity."

I was biased towards the Sony but now I'm not sure because I briefly saw the X800H and Q60T at Best Buy. Same store-wide feed from COAX. I only saw it for about 5 minutes because the salesman had to change the input on both TVs to the BestBuy loop but both TVs switched themselves back to their own internal demo footage after 5 minutes. So very short time to compare.

In these 5 minutes, I thought the colors in general seemed better on the X800H but that the Q60T had more convincing flesh tones on people's faces. The Q60T had more dirty screen effect while the X800H looked very uniform. The motion was smoother on the Q60T which surprised me. There was a scene where a mountain with a lake in front was panned from right to left. It was smooth on the Q60T but it looked a little jerky on the X800H. People walking and turning around quickly produced ghosting on the X800H that I did not see on the Q60T. I have no idea what settings each TV was set to but I assume they were factory defaults since the remotes are kept away from the customers. Both are 60hz panels so no 120hz motion with either 43" set. There was no sound to compare. I went in thinking the Sony would mop the floor with the Q60T and the salesman was talking up the X800H like the Q60T isn't even close, but for what I saw the Q60T seemed like it might have the edge. I think I am more sensitive to less convincing flesh tones, less smooth motion, and ghosting so when I see them, I sour on the TV. I did not get to see 1080P BluRay upsampling which is also important. I need to go back when I feel daring. COVID19 has kept me away from stores. The 43" Q60T was really nice.
I have the 2019 43" Q60R and have been very happy with it. The 2020 Q60T tested better in both contrast and black uniformity than the 2019 model that I have which could be because of the new dual LED panel. Uniformity can vary from panel to panel, but contrast tests are consistent. Since you are looking at the 43" model, the Q60R from last year was also 60hz (which is the biggest difference between the 55" and above where the 2019 models were 120hz and the 2020 models are 60hz). I find motion handling is really good and the 4K AI upscaling algorithm works very well when watching Directv (1080i content). These things usually improve year over year so I would expect the Q60T to be a little better than the Q60R. The 43" Sony is also edge lit, however, with the IPS screen it has a 1000:1 contrast ratio compared to the 7000:1 contrast ratio on the Q60T. I think the Samsung is the better choice.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts

Samsung VA panel vs Sony IPS panel deems this no contest. Samsung, with far better Native Contrast should get the nod.

Reactions: musicman0725

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks musicman0725 and Panson. I was expecting to get roasted based on my experiences of everyone proclaiming SONY SONY SONY. When I was writing my quick impressions I started to wonder if I was saying too much and setting myself up to a rush of criticism. I try to point out where each TV did a better job and the salesman at Best Buy tried to find ways to spin everything to favor the SONY. He would say "you're seeing ghosting on the Sony because the coax cable to that set is bad". He said "not all coax connections give the same quality of signal." Of course I am thinking this is Bull**** because this is a digital signal that is either there or its not. If either coax signal were missing bits, the picture would be blanking out or be unwatchable.

Both TVs are excellent compared to the LEDS by LG, TCI, HiSense, etc. The LG, TCI, HiSense, etc all have more pronounced short comings and you quickly see that for LED sets, Sony and Samsung are the top dogs.

I think the reason I like the facial flesh tones better on the Q60T is the VA panel. IPS screens have great colors but (in my opinion) people's faces don't seem to look as natural (real) on IPS screens vs VA. The motion differences baffle me. Sony is always heralded for the best motion and yet I also looked at the 43" X800G in Feb and noticed the same ghosting when people made quick movements. At the time I did not notice this as much on the 43" Q60R and the salesman said "I don't see what you are saying" and that "I was just imagining it that way". So my impressions seem to carry forward from 2019 to 2020 versions of these two 43" TVs.

That said, I need to go back with 2 usb sticks with identical video to rule out the coax claim even though I think it's just salesman BS. Plus I want to see 1080p upscaling on both sets. Even though my mind tells me the Samsung is better based on the things that bother me most, I find myself still trying to like the Sony better because it will process DTS sound natively. This allows you to play videos with "DTS only" through the USB port. Samsungs do not process DTS so videos play with no sound. Sony's specs online say the X800H will process DTS.

Does anyone know a work around (like a Tizen installable app) that will allow the Samsung to play DTS movies from a USB connected drive and have the DTS sound work over the Samsung's internal speakers ?? If I had that problem licked I think it would be a game changer for me and make me buy the Q60T for sure.

I went into this biased towards the Sony and now I am liking the Q60T more. It all comes down to which flaws bother you more. They are very close contenders with different flaws.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks musicman0725 and Panson. I was expecting to get roasted based on my experiences of everyone proclaiming SONY SONY SONY. When I was writing my quick impressions I started to wonder if I was saying too much and setting myself up to a rush of criticism. I try to point out where each TV did a better job and the salesman at Best Buy tried to find ways to spin everything to favor the SONY. He would say "you're seeing ghosting on the Sony because the coax cable to that set is bad". He said "not all coax connections give the same quality of signal." Of course I am thinking this is Bull**** because this is a digital signal that is either there or its not. If either coax signal were missing bits, the picture would be blanking out or be unwatchable.

Both TVs are excellent compared to the LEDS by LG, TCI, HiSense, etc. The LG, TCI, HiSense, etc all have more pronounced short comings and you quickly see that for LED sets, Sony and Samsung are the top dogs.

I think the reason I like the facial flesh tones better on the Q60T is the VA panel. IPS screens have great colors but (in my opinion) people's faces don't seem to look as natural (real) on IPS screens vs VA. The motion differences baffle me. Sony is always heralded for the best motion and yet I also looked at the 43" X800G in Feb and noticed the same ghosting when people made quick movements. At the time I did not notice this as much on the 43" Q60R and the salesman said "I don't see what you are saying" and that "I was just imagining it that way". So my impressions seem to carry forward from 2019 to 2020 versions of these two 43" TVs.

That said, I need to go back with 2 usb sticks with identical video to rule out the coax claim even though I think it's just salesman BS. Plus I want to see 1080p upscaling on both sets. Even though my mind tells me the Samsung is better based on the things that bother me most, I find myself still trying to like the Sony better because it will process DTS sound natively. This allows you to play videos with "DTS only" through the USB port. Samsungs do not process DTS so videos play with no sound. Sony's specs online say the X800H will process DTS.

Does anyone know a work around (like a Tizen installable app) that will allow the Samsung to play DTS movies from a USB connected drive and have the DTS sound work over the Samsung's internal speakers ?? If I had that problem licked I think it would be a game changer for me and make me buy the Q60T for sure.

I went into this biased towards the Sony and now I am liking the Q60T more. It all comes down to which flaws bother you more. They are very close contenders with different flaws.

You’re right about DTS and I know Samsung used to support it but stopped at some point. My KS8000 still supports DTS. Either way I typically stream with my ATV (although on their newer TVs the Samsung apps are much better than they are on my KS8000). I think getting the better TV and if necessary buying a streaming device that can decode everything you need is the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I went back to look at the 43" Q60T and X800H. For the most part I have the same impressions. The Q60T had more dirty screen effect to the left side while the X800H had a more uniform screen. This was very apparent to me and bothered me. The Q60T had much better fleshtones and snappier colors. I said that the X800H had better colors before but I based this from noticing that the X800H had deeper blues. This is still true but the Q60T has deeper reds, yellows, and other hot colors. So I think overall Q60T has better colors when I look at the picture on-whole for 15 minutes side-to-side. The Q60T has better motion period. Less lag and ghosting when text scrolls, when people move, or when people gesture with their hands. The plastics used on X800H look and feel cheaper on the X800H. The Q60T frame looks sleeker and more polished. I didn't get to see the Q60T remote and they used a generic samsung remote both times but the X800H remote felt nice and had good response. Overall, the X800H has less dirty screen effect and it will decode DTS sound from a movie when played from the USB port. I really wanted the native DTS sound but after thinking about it, the overall picture quality and motion of the Q60T is very noticeably better to me. I am going to go with the Q60T.

The salesman yesterday was different and he was 100% pro Samsung. This was a first. He said the Q60T is just better in every way. I take salesman talk with less than a of grain of salt and pointed out the dirty screen effect on the Q60T was worse. He said if I move up to the 49" Q70T it has full-array lighting and that goes away. They didn't have a Q70T because it's a Magnolia special order so I was unable to check this out but it has me thinking. I will probably stick with the 43" Q60T but I am giving it a day or 2 to think it over.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I went back to look at the 43" Q60T and X800H. For the most part I have the same impressions. The Q60T had more dirty screen effect to the left side while the X800H had a more uniform screen. This was very apparent to me and bothered me. The Q60T had much better fleshtones and snappier colors. I said that the X800H had better colors before but I based this from noticing that the X800H had deeper blues. This is still true but the Q60T has deeper reds, yellows, and other hot colors. So I think overall Q60T has better colors when I look at the picture on-whole for 15 minutes side-to-side. The Q60T has better motion period. Less lag and ghosting when text scrolls, when people move, or when people gesture with their hands. The plastics used on X800H look and feel cheaper on the X800H. The Q60T frame looks sleeker and more polished. I didn't get to see the Q60T remote and they used a generic samsung remote both times but the X800H remote felt nice and had good response. Overall, the X800H has less dirty screen effect and it will decode DTS sound from a movie when played from the USB port. I really wanted the native DTS sound but after thinking about it, the overall picture quality and motion of the Q60T is very noticeably better to me. I am going to go with the Q60T.

The salesman yesterday was different and he was 100% pro Samsung. This was a first. He said the Q60T is just better in every way. I take salesman talk with less than a of grain of salt and pointed out the dirty screen effect on the Q60T was worse. He said if I move up to the 49" Q70T it has full-array lighting and that goes away. They didn't have a Q70T because it's a Magnolia special order so I was unable to check this out but it has me thinking. I will probably stick with the 43" Q60T but I am giving it a day or 2 to think it over.

The Q70T is not full array and is also dual LED like the Q60T. Last year the Q70R was full array which is probably what made the sales rep give you misinformation. You need to step up to the Q80T for full array this year. Also, not all models come in all sizes. Last year only the Q60 was 43” and you needed to go up a screen size for the Q70 (which wouldn’t have fit as nicely on my dresser).

As for DSE, it is panel specific and will vary from set to set. It is possible on all LED displays to varying degrees and because of panel lottery doesn’t matter what set you buy. Some will be better some will be worse. At the store you went to the panel uniformity may have been better with the Sony. At another store the Samsung may be better. The Q60T actually scored better with this test than the Sony X800H but like you just noticed at the store the test is irrelevant because a lot of luck is involved. Link below includes results from the test:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/gray-uniformity-dirty-screen-effect-dse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
@musicman0725; The salesman must have been thinking of the Q70R. The new 49" Q80T has full array lighting but at $1,099.00 it's more than double the price of the 43" Q60T which is $528. For that money I'll take the 43" Q60T.

BestBuy must give incentives to the BlueShirts to push Sony because I go to BestBuys all the time browsing and they always push Sony TVs saying nothing else compares. I don't get it.

Another thing that really stinks about BestBuy is that they group all the Sonys to one side of the big wall with LG in the middle and Samsung to the far other side making it impossible to do side-by-side comparisons. They do this to speed up the buying time because people just buy what they see directly in front of them. The small BestBuy I went to was ripping the big wall apart to swap in the new models so the 43" models were all set up on an aisle shelf so I got lucky. The Q60T was right next to the X800H !! With LG, Insignia, Visio, Toshiba, Sharp 43s also on the aisle this means I was doubly lucky..

3rd gripe about BestBuy. They don't let you change a TV from the manufacturer's built in demo further making it impossible to compare the TVs. They say "We are paid by the manufacturer to only play their built-in Demo so we cannot allow you to change the input to the store video loop." In my case, I get the salesman to bring the remotes over then I spend forever looking through the UI until the saleman gets so bored of me that he walks away and leaves me alone with the remotes to look on my own. Then I use the remotes to switch to the store video loop anyway. THWT.. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts