AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a 65" 4k Sony TV.

I've always got on with the brand and have other Sony hardware, so it's just down to a choice of models.

Looking at the 4k sets currently out, I prefer the X850A for not having the speakers on the sides, however I really can't stand Active 3D (I have the NX723 which is great 2D but rubbish for 3D). I have quite a large number of 3D blu-rays, which I want to enjoy with passive 1080p 3D.

What I've come to is the following choice:

2013 X900A model:

+ Local Dimming

+ Passive 3D

- Won't support Netflix 4k when it comes out

- Speakers on sides

2014 X850B model:

+ Passive 3D

+ Will support Netflix 4k when it comes out

+ No speakers on sides

- Frame dimming

I'd go for a higher end 2014 model, but they all seem to be active 3D.

Does anyone have advice if it's worth waiting for the X850B? Will it be worse picture quality than the X900A?

My major issues with the X900A is the speakers (is there any way to use the side speakers in a 5.1 setup?) and future support of Netflix 4k

Cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you currently use a good 5.1 the speaker won't be as good or work as part of it but you can turn the TV audio off. But if your using just a sound bar these sound better than any non $2,000 sound bar plus Sony does sell a stand alone sub woofer that can be plugged into it to add to the sound even more.

·
Banned
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfam  /t/1523122/sony-x850b-or-x900a#post_24498367

If you currently use a good 5.1 the speaker won't be as good or work as part of it but you can turn the TV audio off. But if your using just a sound bar these sound better than any non $2,000 sound bar plus Sony does sell a stand alone sub woofer that can be plugged into it to add to the sound even more.

Thanks Covfam.

I currently only have the HT-IS100 5.1 golf ball speaker system, but looking to get the BDV-N7200W when it comes out.

I don't think I could live with just 2.1 now, so it's looking more like the X850B is the way to go when it comes out.

My only concern with that is the Frame Dimming, and will the picture quality be as good as the X900A?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dunno but I wouldn't plan on it since it's missing some things from the 900a also I never rely on a picture from year to year staying the same or improving. As an example my LG 55lm8600 has Alot better picture than both the la8600 and the LA 9650 and the LA 9700. And all those are supposed to be nicer but in real world they are not.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
There is no question about it, the x900a will blow away the x850b in picture quality. The x900a uses quantum dots, has a special pixel structure not seen in most tv's, and has overall better specs. I am sure you will be able to get an external device to stream netflix 4k, so I would not worry about that.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just looked at both of these sets at Best Buy plugging is a USB on some HD programing. I couldn't see any difference but I didn't have much time to live with each set while in the store. I didn't want or need the speakers either so I bought the 850 65" 4K set. It's being delivered on Friday.

·
Banned
179 Posts
To be honest, I'd consider the X850A that's out now if the active 3D is good, and has barely any crosstalk, as crosstalk was the issue I had with my NX723. But from reading, most people much prefer the X900A for its passive 3D, which is what's drawing me to the pending release of the X850B as it's passive 3D without the side speakers.

Just wish Sony would have made a passive high end TV with no side speakers.

So would the X850A be decent in 3D?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm also in the same boat. I cannot watch active 3D; I'm one of those people that get a form of motion sickness, I assume from detecting the flicker. Anyway, after about 15 seconds I'm really sick from it, and I really liked the passive 3D on the 900a. Surprised that Sony's 2014 sets switched like that, unless you get the very pricey 79 or 80" ones.

Will the 2013 900a's definitely not be compatible with 4K Netflix streaming? I hadn't thought about that. And, if so, is that really a limiting factor, or can you just use a BluRay player for that, assuming those will be compatible in the near future (or are they already??)?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m61376  /t/1523122/sony-x850b-or-x900a#post_24501786

I'm also in the same boat. I cannot watch active 3D; I'm one of those people that get a form of motion sickness, I assume from detecting the flicker. Anyway, after about 15 seconds I'm really sick from it, and I really liked the passive 3D on the 900a. Surprised that Sony's 2014 sets switched like that, unless you get the very pricey 79 or 80" ones.

Will the 2013 900a's definitely not be compatible with 4K Netflix streaming? I hadn't thought about that. And, if so, is that really a limiting factor, or can you just use a BluRay player for that, assuming those will be compatible in the near future (or are they already??)?

That's currently the dilemma I'm facing. I'd like to have 4K Netflix (obviously a future Blu-ray player would resolve that), and I don't want the side speakers of the 900a.

The X850b has all that, but lacks the local dimming of the X900a, and as it's the entry 4k product in the 2014 range, I reckon the picture quality may be worse.

I've also been reading that the X900a is glass fronted and more like the monolith design of my NX723 which I love.

So feels like getting a X850b would mean losing:
  • Local dimming
  • Picture quality
  • Build quality

I just don't understand why they didn't keep the passive 3D in this year's range. And also no X950B in 65" in Europe is a real downer, you'd have to go with the X900B to get similar quality, but end up with the side speakers. And then both don't have passive 3D (only in the very large sizes)

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSword  /t/1523122/sony-x850b-or-x900a#post_24501865

That's currently the dilemma I'm facing. I'd like to have 4K Netflix (obviously a future Blu-ray player would resolve that), and I don't want the side speakers of the 900a.

The X850b has all that, but lacks the local dimming of the X900a, and as it's the entry 4k product in the 2014 range, I reckon the picture quality may be worse.

I've also been reading that the X900a is glass fronted and more like the monolith design of my NX723 which I love.

So feels like getting a X850b would mean losing:
  • Local dimming
  • Picture quality
  • Build quality

I just don't understand why they didn't keep the passive 3D in this year's range. And also no X950B in 65" in Europe is a real downer, you'd have to go with the X900B to get similar quality, but end up with the side speakers. And then both don't have passive 3D (only in the very large sizes)
yeah I know what you mean, Sony has been all over the map on their 2013 and 2014 models there decision on active vs passive 3d is all over the map and even changes withing the same model line on different television sizes! My wife and I so want a Sony television that's like the x900a but updated to 2014 but there isnt

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfam  /t/1523122/sony-x850b-or-x900a#post_24501888

yeah I know what you mean, Sony has been all over the map on their 2013 and 2014 models there decision on active vs passive 3d is all over the map and even changes withing the same model line on different television sizes! My wife and I so want a Sony television that's like the x900a but updated to 2014 but there isnt

I could wait another year, but that means I'm still buying 3D films that I never watch in 3D.

Passive 3D I think is the way for me to go though. I really enjoy films in 3D at the cinema, and that seems the best home experience that's similar (if not better).

I'll just have to wait and see what the X850B is like. I'm hoping it will still be a step up from my NX723 (although the NX723 has local dimming and the X850B doesn't).

The other option is to bit the bullet, get the X900a, but again those massive speakers not being used (and adding width) seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm in the same boat. After looking at current pricing and the little reviews I've seen posted for the 850a I think I'm going to just get the 900a. I'm looking for a TV to tide me over until projector prices come down and tech improves. I'm hoping to be able to buy my home within the next 2-3 years and at that point get a 4K 3D projector and a screen innovations screen for a somewhat decent price. The FW upgrade gives some HDMI 2.0 compliance and thats all I'm concerned about. most of my media will be fed from my consoles and my HTPC. None of which currently support H.265, plus I have heard that Netflix streaming is not that big of a deal anyways. As long as I can get H.265 compliance from my HTPC I'll be happy. Plus the price this TV can be had is too good to pass up. I just hope pricing stays the same while I wait for my security deposit refund that should be in my hands within 30 days. My plan is to pair it with a Pioneer VSX-80.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
it most certaintly can. I believe the link you posted was before the hdmi 2.0 update. Initially it could not do 4k @ 60hz, but since being updated it can.
I stand corrected: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=XBR65X900A&upd_id=9796&os_group_id=18

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.411AAA:
  • Improves stability of the Screen Mirroring function
  • Improves the login function for the Skype® online calling service
  • Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
  • Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
  • Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection

Sorry for the out of date information!

·
Registered
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
hows gaming on an x850b?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I just lost my Panasonic P55ST60 to an apparently un-fixable controller burnout (vertical column out, controller integrated into ribbon, can't fix without replacing panel) and that forced me to look for a replacement.

After doing some research I decided to get an X900 because of image quality even though I don't really need the integrated speakers at all. I placed an order with Abe's of Maine. One of their guys called me within 15 minutes because I had screwed up and ordered the import rather than the US model... dunno how I missed that. Anyhow, long story short, he then proceeded with an interesting sales pitch for the latest 2015 model of the X850B (USA). This is my first post so I can't add links yet but if you go to Abe's website to look at the TV make sure the model number in the URL is SNXBR55X850BU rather than SNXBR55X850B (note the additional "U" at the end for the 2015 model). There should also be a "Latest 2015 Model" note near the top. It's listed for $2,999.99 but apparently during their March sale it's selling for $1,799.99. But here's the interesting bit: the sales rep was swearing on his mother's life that this new version of the X850B does in fact have Local Dimming and is thus functionally identical to (at least last year's?) X950 minus the speakers.

Now the specs on their site still say "Frame Dimming" and so does Sony's page for the model. The Abe rep says they're getting their specs from the same database as Sony's page and they're not yet up-to-date over at Sony either. C-Net's page for CES 2015 doesn't mentioning anything regarding this specific model and only mentions the X850C directly. The Abe's rep told me that the X850C version does in fact use Frame Dimming but that the 2015 X850B US model does not. I searched the web up and down and couldn't find any third party confirmation so I turned directly to Sony. While I was unable to confirm that the new X850B does do Local Dimming I was at least able to confirm that Sony's spec pages are indeed out of date and that they don't have the specs for the 2015 lineup yet. The customer service rep explicitly told me so and thus was unable to confirm or deny that the 2015 X850B has been switched to Local Dimming from its predecessor. He expressed surprise that the Abe's rep seemed to have more current information.

I think I called the Abe's rep a dozen times to confirm and re-confirm. He remains steadfast in his claim that the 2015 X850B US model is functionally equivalent to the X900 I was going to buy and that I would be able to confirm once I got the TV and could look at the manual/specs for it. I decided to take the risk given the price and the imminent end of Abe's March Madness deals and I just hope I wasn't being lied to.

I'll be sure to post an update once I get my new TV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts