AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my research I've narrowed it down to these 3 TVs. I'm limited to these 3 choices because I don't want to spend more than around $2500 and because my wife really wants a Passive 3D set. We will be getting the 65 inch version because we sit about 10-12 feet away from the TV. This TV will be used for TV Watching, Movies, and PS4 gaming in an average lit living room. Which do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

P.S. Please feel free to recommend an option not listed if you know of a better one

·
Registered
7 Posts
i was looking at simlar. i would personally drop the old LG and just compare the new 8500 with the old Sony.

heres what i have so far from my own comparisons.
LG OS2.0 is really cool. voice activated remote is so convenient and when surfing the net, and going to youtube it is really cool.
the oldder Sony doesnt have anything like that BUT the sony has more 4k Content built-in.
it has alot of connection features.

they both have the new VP9 encoder and the new HDMI 2.0 (which is why i say the older LG is no comparison to these two)

picture quality - i dont know . i love sony and i have a 52" sony now so i am leaning towards the sony myself but i like the gadgets on the LG.

the LG also has 3D passive - which is really cool and works good . go check out the demo at Best Buy or wherever.
the active 3D on the Sony, to tell you the truth i may never use and dont care too much about. more pain in the but but i dont know if it looks any better either.

new IPS panel on LG is wider viewing angle i beleive.

im torn too. i was going to go to FRYs today because they have a sale on the 850B -(closeout) and was thinking of taking it home for 28 days to try out - if i dont like it i can return and get the 2nd choice which for me is the 8500 LG (2015) . if i do that, i may actually get the 60" 8500 model but i may experiment with the Sony first.

really hard choice and i think i am stuck like you as to what to do.
the 65" for me is a little bit and would require i move some in-wall speakers around and do some drywall work - plus i am 8-9 feet away from screen so maybe 65 is too big but for 4k they say sit closer ,right ? ( i have to do those calculations or just bring it and try it out)

sony has 2yr financing if u finance with them - i just found out.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
It really depends on what your priorities are.

I tend to believe the apps are better on the LG but I am not a big TV apps guy so I tend to not pay attention to those features too well.

They both are IPS panels and they both use passive 3d.

The X850B has Sony's triluminous technology in it. I find the picture on X850B to be materially better than pretty much any LG LCD but this is a matter of personal preference to a large extent.

If buying right now the 65X850B is a great value because they are being blown out in preparation for the new models coming out in the next few weeks.

For the price the X850b is selling at right now I find it hard to recommend almost anything else at the same price point. My only real complaints with X850B is that the black levels are only OK and there are some uniformity issues. This is going to be true of virtually all edge-lit IPS panels though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can't speak for the ub9x00 series (supposedly they have a little better processor than the ub8x00 series) but I just switched from a ub8500 to an x850b and the difference is quite noticeable. The colors are much better on the Sony and the motion/scaling is in a whole different league. Scrolling text and scenes with lots of motion would get choppy and/or blurry on the LG no matter what the motion setting was. Motion is quite good on the Sony.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There isn't much info comparing the UF8500 models yet, but I saw one at bestbuy today and was fairly impressed. I know that the x850b has a lot of praise around it and don't want to step on any toes, but when I saw it in person, I really wasn't impressed with it. The color was very hazy and the black levels were very washed out. It could have easily been that the store had it set up poorly or that the in-store lighting was atrocious, but overall, I just wasn't impressed. I like LG and Sony equally, but after view both models in store, I ordered the UF8500. I just ordered it today so I can't really give information on it other than what I saw in store. The UF8500 does lose 1 HDMI port over the UB9500, but that may not be an issue for you. I've read several things that indicated the 2015 LG models are top notch but will experience many of the same drawbacks of previous models (washed black levels could be an issue, but I didn't notice anything in store). The UF8500 is supposed to have a wider gamut than the UB9500.

I think the post about preferences has it right. All of the models are pretty similar and it comes down to which you prefer. I wanted a 60inch (didn't want to buy a new stand and felt 65 was pushing it on current) so that was a big factor in my decision. I don't really care about the apps very much because I almost always run apps through PS4/Xbox One. The improved sound resulting from Harmon/Kardon in the UF8500 also didn't matter because I run a Bose speaker system. If apps and internal speakers are important, I think the UF8500 is your best bet, otherwise, you probably won't lose much by going with the 850b or UB9500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Which model did you end up getting? I'm considering the same three models, but I'm leaning toward the X850B since I read a lot of complains about backlight bleeding on the LG models. I'm wondering if X850B has the same problem. If it does, I'll get the UF9500 since it's newer model.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Someone above commented that the LG UF series had HDMI 2.0, whereas the older (2014) UB series didn't. I believe it is the case that the 2014 LG UB sets have one HDMI input that is 2.0-ready (for when things like UHD disk players come out), just not all of them. (The 2015 LG sets have all of the HDMI inputs 2.0-ready.)

Not sure if that makes a difference in your thought process, or not...

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
In my research I've narrowed it down to these 3 TVs. I'm limited to these 3 choices because I don't want to spend more than around $2500 and because my wife really wants a Passive 3D set. We will be getting the 65 inch version because we sit about 10-12 feet away from the TV. This TV will be used for TV Watching, Movies, and PS4 gaming in an average lit living room. Which do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

P.S. Please feel free to recommend an option not listed if you know of a better one
I purchases the LG 65UB9500 about six months ago. It is primarily used for Cable viewing, PS4 game playing and Blueray movies (on PS4). I absolutely love it. I have zero complaints. It is the third LG I have owned because I have never had a lick of problems from any of them. My last one is a 55 inch I've had on 24/7 for almost 3 years now (we leave it on). Even this LG 65UB9500 is on over 18 hours a day. I consider the remote to be outstanding! In fact I got a harmony remote to control my dirac, amp and other gadgets, but I missed the LG remote too much. It rocks. All of the apps work great, we watch Amazon, Netflix and Vudu on it. I also like that it syncs instantly with my youtube account off of my phone or ipad. I think everything I play on it looks glorious.

If you get this LG and plan to wall mount it... look on Amazon for the "cheetah" mount. It was only like $60 bucks compared to Sanus mounts I saw at Best Buy for a few hundred. I was skeptical, but the Cheetah mount is perfect on this TV. Extends nearly 3 feet from wall with tilt in every direction.

OH and the 3d!! Yes that is why I got this TV, I wanted passive 3D , and it had to be LG, and it had to be 4K. The 3d is fantastic. I can't recommend it enough. You will see I did actually buy this, because I'm pretty sure I posted when I first got it, in the LG65ub9500 thread. Take care and let us know how it all works out. I paid over 4K for mine. :(

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I can't speak for the ub9x00 series (supposedly they have a little better processor than the ub8x00 series) but I just switched from a ub8500 to an x850b and the difference is quite noticeable. The colors are much better on the Sony and the motion/scaling is in a whole different league. Scrolling text and scenes with lots of motion would get choppy and/or blurry on the LG no matter what the motion setting was. Motion is quite good on the Sony.
I have not experienced any bad picture quality with my 65ub9500. And I've very particular about how things look. I don't see how my tv could look much better. I also play first person shooter games, and have no lag or framerate issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts