AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like the Sony x92j is going to be priced at $19,999. I was really hoping it would be under 10k. 20k is still unaffordable for the majority of people. Even 10 k would be a stretch for most people.
Guess I’ll be sticking with a projector for another 5 years.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I wouldn't want to downsize to 100" even if the pricing was $5K.

Honestly, I have a decent PJ in the theater (Epson 5050ub) and a decent TV (Sony 900H) in the livingroom. I really prefer the look and quality of the projector for the theater. No way would I downsize the theater experience just to get the livingroom look. Add on the high price and it is a complete non-starter. ymmv.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks like the Sony x90j is going to be priced at $19,999. I was really hoping it would be under 10k. 20k is still unaffordable for the majority of people. Even 10 k would be a stretch for most people.
Source?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The two upgrades under consideration for my 85” Sony 900F were either to the Sony 83” A90J OLED for quality or the 100” X90J for size.

Seems like they made it a very easy decision for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can buy TWO A90J 83" and have some spare change!!! I really thought the 100" would come in around the same price as the A90J. Oh well

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
An OLED TV is a frivolous nonessential luxury item. It is not food, water. shelter, or healthcare in that no one will die if they don’t get an OLED TV. Like every luxury item, manufacturers can price their products however they want and consumers can choose to buy or not.

A Rolex Oyster Perpetual costs $15,000, a Ferrari 488GTB costs $300,000, and an Anthem AVM 90 costs $7,000. Why aren’t those too expensive? Because there is no such thing as too expensive, there is only what the market will bear.

Just like every other luxury consumer product, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
***Agreed, if the $20K price is right. Even at $10K - - that's a real stretch for me. I just don't want to pay that much for an OLED TV. I'll get my OLED fix with my Sony 48" A9S in our bedroom.

For around $8.5K, I can get some really nice furniture (stand), projector ($5K or less) and a screen (Dynamique or like quality) - - all brand new. You can also shop used screens and find a heckuva deal on a high end screen that is greatly reduced because someone is moving or upgrading. That price takes all the wind out of my sails and I have no interest in following the D-Nice A90J thread on this new model for buying purposes. But, it will be interesting to see the comparisons to the A9G, which I'm still considering later this year.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts

Honestly, I have a decent PJ in the theater (Epson 5050ub) and a decent TV (Sony 900H) in the livingroom. I really prefer the look and quality of the projector for the theater. No way would I downsize the theater experience just to get the livingroom look. Add on the high price and it is a complete non-starter. ymmv.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Same for me, have a VAVA projector for the outdoor theater with a 120” screen, 75” TCL 8 Series in the living room, there is no question that the TV has a much nicer picture, I just rather watch the projector, feels and looks like I remember a theater being like.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
A Rolex Oyster Perpetual costs $15,000, a Ferrari 488GTB costs $300,000, and an Anthem AVM 90 costs $7,000. Why aren’t those too expensive? Because there is no such thing as too expensive, there is only what the market will bear.

Just like every other luxury consumer product, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it.
It is actually completely wrong to measure the "expensiveness" of anything in units of money. Because the cost of $1 is different for everybody.
If you measure in amount of time of your own life you have to sacrifice, to obtain said thing, then everything falls in place.
A taxi driver once said to me, that he'd pay for a TV about 1 month's salary. So here you go - if 20k is your annual or half-year income, then this device is way too expensive. I would probably even go for a TV that'd set me back 2 month's income. Its a durable, after all. For someone, who earns 20k a day, this panel is cheap.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
It is actually completely wrong to measure the "expensiveness" of anything in units of money. Because the cost of $1 is different for everybody.
If you measure in amount of time of your own life you have to sacrifice, to obtain said thing, then everything falls in place.
A taxi driver once said to me, that he'd pay for a TV about 1 month's salary. So here you go - if 20k is your annual or half-year income, then this device is way too expensive. I would probably even go for a TV that'd set me back 2 month's income. Its a durable, after all. For someone, who earns 20k a day, this panel is cheap.
None of that philosopher talk would budge me.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: aerodynamics

·
Registered
194 Posts
My theater room with a Benq HT3500, 100" screen, 5.2.2 surround with AVR, and 4 theater chairs was under 10k... I said this to many people but a large tv is not worth it and continues not being worth it till we get to 5-8k for the TV alone.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Where is the proof? Even at 15k, there is a small chance it could even be 9k be boxing day, and even cheaper next year as they have demo models for people to buy.. I wouldn't give up hope yet of being able to justify the purchase in the future...

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
It looks like the Sony x90j is going to be priced at $19,999. I was really hoping it would be under 10k. 20k is still unaffordable for the majority of people. Even 10 k would be a stretch for most people.
Well heck yea, for THAT size and price ! You can get a JVC NX-9 and a nice 1.3 screen of 120” for $18K. And it would look roughly as “nice” as a top LCD. And bigger.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where is the proof? Even at 15k, there is a small chance it could even be 9k be boxing day, and even cheaper next year as they have demo models for people to buy.. I wouldn't give up hope yet of being able to justify the purchase in the future...
The proof is with a special Sony rep I know. If it makes you feel any better no authorized dealer will dispute it as they know it’s true.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts