AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the rtings reviews for these tvs that the X940E has alot higher contrast ratio than the Z9D. Does the X940E have that much of a better black level than the Z9D does? I thought the Z9D was supposed to be better than the X940E in every category.

Z9D

Native Contrast Ratio: 4322:1
With Local Dimming: 7976:1

X940E

Native Contrast Ratio: 4941:1
With Local Dimming: 11,634:1

·
Registered
567 Posts
I noticed on the rtings reviews for these tvs that the X940E has alot higher contrast ratio than the Z9D. Does the X940E have that much of a better black level than the Z9D does? I thought the Z9D was supposed to be better than the X940E in every category.

Z9D

Native Contrast Ratio: 4322:1
With Local Dimming: 7976:1

X940E

Native Contrast Ratio: 4941:1
With Local Dimming: 11,634:1
I would suppose that measurements of black levels (and whites) are not as accurate as one might think. There would be measurement error and deviation bn samples. Just consider the Sub par unifarmity in white and blacklevel of those LCDs and there you have your Variation.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the checkerboard pattern don't they test all squares and average them out? I'm just not sure panel and testing variance can account for an almost 50% uptick in contrast.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I would like to hear from anyone who has owned both.

·
Banned
3,449 Posts
I would like to hear from anyone who has owned both.
I thought the 940e had a better "raw" picture than the z9d, along with a better screen coating. The added brightness of the z9d is really hard for me to tell. That is to say, the max brightness doesn't seem to be easy to spot, but because of the better zone control, smaller highlights do seem to get brighter. Blooming artifacts are pretty much extinct on my z9 too. So overall, the z9 has better picture but there are occasions where the 940e outperforms it. Just my two cents. I've spent alot of time with both.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I thought the 940e had a better "raw" picture than the z9d, along with a better screen coating. The added brightness of the z9d is really hard for me to tell. That is to say, the max brightness doesn't seem to be easy to spot, but because of the better zone control, smaller highlights do seem to get brighter. Blooming artifacts are pretty much extinct on my z9 too. So overall, the z9 has better picture but there are occasions where the 940e outperforms it. Just my two cents. I've spent alot of time with both.
Good to hear from you! I've forgotten what all sets you've owned. You currently have the Z9? Do you like it better than OLED?

·
Registered
347 Posts
To the OP- so you're only taking results from one website's tests? How about looking at a few reviews and then seeing what the consensus is.....

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did find another tidbit by looking at hdtvtest review of both tvs.The black level on the X940E is slightly better than the Z9D, maybe this is why it has a higher contrast ratio.

Z9D black level .029 cd/m2

X940E black level .027 cd/m2

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
I did find another tidbit by looking at hdtvtest review of both tvs.The black level on the X940E is slightly better than the Z9D, maybe this is why it has a higher contrast ratio.

Z9D black level .029 cd/m2

X940E black level .027 cd/m2

Impossible to tell those apart with your eyes. The biggest difference is black uniformity and bloom control, as well as wide-screen bar control as well. Also keep in mind there will be panel variations from set to set. Just like 2 different sets of the same model will have different brightness levels, you can have slight variations in blacks too.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm hearing the 75" Z9D can get slightly brighter than the 65" and the black level is better too. All the reviews for the Z9D used the 65" version though. Rtings can buy 6 OLED tvs to try to downplay OLED burn in but can't buy one 75" Z9D to review it, it's a shame.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm hearing the 75" Z9D can get slightly brighter than the 65" and the black level is better too. All the reviews for the Z9D used the 65" version though. Rtings can buy 6 OLED tvs to try to downplay OLED burn in but can't buy one 75" Z9D to review it, it's a shame.
Only slightly indeed, around 1875 nits for a calibrated 75" (1800+ sustained for the 65" with initial peaks of 1870; both measured by HDTV Test). Full-field brightness 800 nits for the 75" vs 745 for the 65". And more zones of course ... ~40x20

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
I would call Chris, @ Cleveland Plasma and get quotes on both. I’m sensitive to motion in FPS games so I purchased the Z. The 940 looks like a great set though. Price on the 940 should be excellent this week.

Not in the market but thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
. I’m sensitive to motion in FPS games so I purchased the Z. The 940 looks like a great set though.
^^^
That's the one and only thing about my 940E that I don't love.... it's great, for my uses at least, in pretty much every other way.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
So is the Z9D worth $2700 + tax more than the X940E at 75"?
I mean, that's pretty much ENTIRELY dependent on your own personal financial situation, I would think....

It isn't to me, so I bought a 940E.

Reactions: mnc
1 - 20 of 41 Posts