AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’ve seen people in different threads talking about the Sony X95J that they are waiting to check out. I just thought I’d share my experience with it.

I spent about 4 or 5 hours just sitting in the Sony store the other day. I will share some feedback.

one area had 4 TV’s wall-mounted in a 2X2 square. They were all synchronized and playing some super fancy video. Hehe.

top left - 65 X95J top right - 55 X90J
bottom left - 65 X90J bottom right - 65 X85J

The X85J was noticeably weaker than the others.
The X90J and the X95J were quite similar. I looked very close and paused the video at times to compare exact frames. I have to say that the X95J appeared to get a tiny bit more accurate for some specific things. For example, one scene showed clouds with the moon behind it. There was depth in the darkness that needed to be considered, and also how clear the moon looked as the video panned across and the angles shifted slightly. The X95J showed the moon being very clear around the edges and not “blooming” might be the way I would describe it. The moon was small and it was a tight circle. Seeing the moon through the clouds was the focus on that part of the video. I felt the X95J was slightly more accurate. However, the X90J was quite good. in previous scenes I had trouble seeing any differences, but that element of the scene with the moon was in favour of the X95J. Overall, both the X90J and X95J were quite good. Often I couldn’t see much difference.

I was surprised at how wide I could go with both the X90J and X95J. I’d read the X90J had narrow viewing angles, but seemed good to me. I guess I’m not as picky.

I also watched the 85 X95J for a while. As usual, the store video (8K, or 16K, whatever flawless source they use) they cycle looked like butter, which it should. sweet TV, but the 75 X95J was really nice also.

Overall, I can just say this. The X85J didn’t seem to be on the same level as the X90J and X95J. I felt the X90J and X95J were really good and quite similar, but I have to say that a few times I could see a bit of an edge for the X95J.

Also, the the 85 X95J felt like it was built really well. I was impressed. Really strong. And the stand itself was strong. A tiny bit of wobble, but hey, it’s a big TV. Really well built In my opinion. Stand was 40cm deep from front edge to back edge. Not a small stand by any means. It also had the 3 positions like the OLED’s.

I watched Deadpool 2 off the streaming service on the 85X95J. It was just 1080p. i watched from the opening to about several minutes in. I have to say I felt disappointed. It wasn’t sharp. Possibly the feed was not high-quality enough, or maybe the TV at that size can’t fix the resolution enough. Anyways, I noticed and felt disappointed. I want to go back again and bring my own material to view. Then I can have a better idea of the upscaling. Not sure if they will let me, or if I have the right source material. I’ll post again if I can get it checked out.

By the way, I also watched the 83A90J and the 77A80J side by side for quite a while. Great TV’s. The difference between the A90J and the A80J was negligible, and definitely not worth the extra money, in my opinion. However, in my personal opinion, they were both better than all the X-series TV’s. Similar to the 85X95J, i also watched the same several minutes of Deadpool 2 on the 77A80J. Similar to as I said about the 85X95J, I was somewhat disappointed with the resolution enhancement. I think it was better than the 85X95J, but they weren’t side by side, and the OLED was 8 inches smaller, so I guess it should be a bit more clear for lower-quality content, right? Once again, I’d like to go back and look at the 77A80J again with my own source material.

Oh, and the 85X95J was sitting beside the 85Z9J with 8K. I don‘t know if I could see a difference. Not sure why that TV had the price tag that it did, but hey, I guess there must be some reason.

For me, I have my shortlist as the 75X90J vs the 77A80J. In my personal opinion, in both the X-series and A-series, the top models are not worth the significantly more money than the 2nd best ones.

I’m not an expert... I just thought I’d share this since I know people have been curious about the X95J. Maybe my comments will help someone who is waiting and thinks what I said sounds ok. Sorry if I’m wrong about this stuff. I can just tell you what I saw and noticed.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Were you able to check/change settings on the TV's to see if they were setup the same ?

Reactions: kaelaria

·
Registered
319 Posts
While I appreciate the in depth review, it's basically useless and a waste of your time. You need in home viewing of both models to make a comparison. Stores feed their TV's with specific content to highlight the strengths, the lighting in the store is terrible, and you can't change settings. A 500 dollar 1080p led used to look better than 2,000 plasmas in store. Enough said.

In store and at home are completely different. I don't even think they should bother displaying the tv's, unless people can watch their own content and be able to adjust settings and have normal lightning conditions. None of those conditions are met. All the tvs look good in store and at home many of those same ones look terrible.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were you able to check/change settings on the TV's to see if they were setup the same ?
Unfortunately I didn’t check the settings. I was aware of that, but didn’t. I’m quite sure the X90J and X95J would have been really close, or the same. I didn’t think it mattered without my own video to watch. Next time, if I bring my own, I’ll check settings... although I don’t know which ones I should be using. Haha

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@sonydude2021

With respect, i don’t plan to do any laboratory research for these TV’s. I was looking to see if I liked certain models that I’ve already read about. On paper, the X95J doesn’t look much different than the X90J. I wanted to see it If I saw something. I did. However, it wasn’t a big enough difference for the very premium price difference.

I don’t need to take them home and do a side-by-side. I trust everything I’ve read previously and I feel confident that the X90J is better than the X80J for sure, and most likely the X85J enough that I will be able to tell (especially since I like movies).

I wanted to see the X90J and the X95J. I’m sure they weren’t lowering the specs of the X95J, and the X90J looked good beside it (or in my case, under it). If my apartment will make them look better, then those must be really good TV’s. I didn’t see anything big enough to make me think the X95J is worth a ton of extra money, so I think the analysis was useful for me so far. I already clearly said I hope to go back with my own video material to try.

If someone has a lot of money and doesn’t mind spending it for some extra benefit (but maybe not a lot... can’t tell for sure), then they can go for it. In any case, if they want a Sony LED, then I guess the process is basically over.

Also, every review about the A90J and A80J matches up with what i saw as well.

Some people are like me. They care about what they think when they watch the TV’s, and what they believe looks good (or looks how they think it should).

If you are fortunate enough to get both TV’s side-by-side in your house, then I guess you can do some of your own laboratory testing on them. I will be happy to read the results. I guess then we will know if I was far off.

·
Registered
319 Posts
@sonydude2021

With respect, i don’t plan to do any laboratory research for these TV’s. I was looking to see if I liked certain models that I’ve already read about. On paper, the X95J doesn’t look much different than the X90J. I wanted to see it If I saw something. I did. However, it wasn’t a big enough difference for the very premium price difference.

I don’t need to take them home and do a side-by-side.
You're making a common rookie mistake.

You can't tell unless you take them both home. You don't need laboratory testing. Just look at them in your house. You can tell in a few hours of watching, sometime immediately if there's a big difference.

Here's another example.

In store the sony x800h and x900h look fairly similar. In home, it's a massive grand canyon difference. You'll notice motion differences that are indistinguishable in store. In all honesty, all tvs look pretty good in store. To really tell the difference take them home. TRUST ME.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts

You can't tell unless you take them both home. You don't need laboratory testing. Just look at them in your house. You can tell in a few hours of watching, sometime immediately if there's a big difference.
The other problem is that you have no idea what picture settings the two TV's have. It's most likely not a 1x1 comparison. Add to that the lighting in the store may wash out the screen.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Here's another example.

In store the sony x800h and x900h look fairly similar. In home, it's a massive grand canyon difference. You'll notice motion differences that are indistinguishable in store. In all honesty, all tvs look pretty good in store. To really tell the difference take them home. TRUST ME.
And you're being presumptuous, and I can definitely tell the difference between now 800h and a 900h in the store, even more noticeable when you fo to the 950. Anyways, I appreciate the observations

·
Registered
319 Posts
And you're being presumptuous, and I can definitely tell the difference between now 800h and a 900h in the store, even more noticeable when you fo to the 950. Anyways, I appreciate the observations
You can't tell how much better the blacks are on the x900h in store vs 800h. The lighting is too bright. You can't tell how much better the 900h does motion because they're likely running 60fps demos or at least demos that won't show flaws in motion. I've seen tvs that look good for motion in store and at home they're a disaster. I remember they used to run slow motion demos back in the day when leds really used to struggle. lol If you could tell the difference in store, no tv reviewer would ever have to buy a tv to do a review. They could just go to a store. lol

They're generally running in torch mode with demo modes that are designed to hide flaws in all tvs. You have no control of settings.

You can't see blooming as well. All of this is due to lighting. The x900f in store doesn't have a blooming issue, but take it home and it clearly has blooming compared to x900h.

You're just looking for us to agree that you made the RIGHT decision for your future purchase based on staring at tvs in a store for HOURS.

The honest answer is you don't know simply by looking at tvs in a store.. Look at some reviews like rtings or quantum and Buy the tv and see if you like it. Return if it doesn't meet your needs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
As to your impressions of the X85J being "weaker" than the others, obviously it's a lower tier model and doesn't have local dimming--but I'm wondering if you could be more specific about what was "wrong" with it? I.e. washed out black levels, insufficient overall brightness, insufficiently bright HDR lighting, color issues, etc?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As to your impressions of the X85J being "weaker" than the others, obviously it's a lower tier model and doesn't have local dimming--but I'm wondering if you could be more specific about what was "wrong" with it? I.e. washed out black levels, insufficient overall brightness, insufficiently bright HDR lighting, color issues, etc?
Darks were not as pronounced. Possibly what you call washed-out. Does it mean it looks a bit “faded”? I didn’t have control over the settings, but in my personal opinion, the difference was a bit larger than what I thought a few tweaks of the settings would overcome. I don’t think their strategy was to make the 65-inch X85J TV look bad next to the X90J and X95J, because they had a large piece of real estate showcasing an 85-X85J right nearby.

Some customers were streaming what looked like a GodIlla movie or something on the 85-X85J. Nice TV. Very large. But I felt the picture wasn’t contrasting the different black levels accurately enough. I wanted a bit more depth in the picture. Several layers of darks needed a bit more definition. Granted, that was 1080p. As I said originally, I felt the 1080p would have been enhanced better. Mind you, it was an 85-inch TV, so maybe that level of TV shows more imperfections than the same 65-inch would. The really good content looked great, but it was the not-perfect content that I tried to look at.

Gemini Man was playing on the 85-X95J shortly after, and although I was critical of some things, the picture a little more accurate. I don’t know the different between judder and stutter, but I saw it a couple times in the motorcycle scene where Will Smith first fights his clone. One instance was a big jump in the frames.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just thought I’d share some photos of the Sony X95J.

Left side.......Sony 85Z9J
Right side....Sony 85X95J

Settings: Vivid mode w/ brightness at 45 (Max)... all other settings equal
Video on TVs: Sony 4K demo videos
Camera: iPhone 12 Pro Max

I already know the situation is not perfect, but it was interesting nonetheless. Just thought I’d share.
Thanks in advance to those who still choose to complain.

Earlier today I spent an enjoyable hour just doing a side-by-side comparison of the Sony Z9J and Sony X85J. Unfortunately, I can’t post videos on here, but I took some photos when the video was paused, and I will post some of those.

Below........ Z9J.........

Below........ X95J..........

Peace

Building Interior design Flat panel display Display device Display case Product Font Art Electronic device Electric blue World Window Lighting Rectangle Art Output device Product World Television Flat panel display Astronomical object Television set Flat panel display Font Television Aerostat Cloud Sky Atmosphere Hot air ballooning Plant Output device Sky Nature Television Aerostat Cloud Sky Plant Hot air ballooning Paint Rectangle Art Wall Tints and shades Plant Leaf Botany Shade Interior design Orange Line Red Tints and shades Symmetry

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have been curious about the X95J, I think you might find it worth waiting for and checking out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you have been curious about the X95J, I think you might find it worth waiting for and checking out.
hi markopolo!
i was waiting for the reviews to come out for the 85" version. most of the reviews ive read/watched from asia have given it a so-so assessment; i couldnt wait much longer so i purchased 77a80j instead. x95j has a pretty hefty price premium attached to it for some minor improvements...im glad i didnt hold out much longer. thanks for sharing the pics tho!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi markopolo!
i was waiting for the reviews to come out for the 85" version. most of the reviews ive read/watched from asia have given it a so-so assessment; i couldnt wait much longer so i purchased 77a80j instead. x95j has a pretty hefty price premium attached to it for some minor improvements...im glad i didnt hold out much longer. thanks for sharing the pics tho!
Hi Mooshoo,

I would also like the 77-A80J but tonight I kind of accepted getting the 65-A80J. I‘ll wait until next year to get a bigger Sony, and maybe next year the A80-series will get some trickle down from the A90J.

Where I am, the 85-X95J is just a few hundred dollars cheaper than the 77-A80J. Not sure the difference where you are. I think the “so-so” assessment you mention for the X95J might be because the 75” is priced quite high. It’s 50% more than the X90J here, which puts the 75” at the price of a 65-A90J, and then the 85” is close to the 77A80J. I think the X95J is being priced close to the OLED prices for a reason.

You said you are glad you didn’t hold out much longer. Actually, I think the X95J performed quite well with high-res content sitting next to a powerhouse like the Z9J. I think when the western reviews come out for a calibrated X95J, we will see it being considered a good TV. Will it be worth it’s price? Not sure, because it’s high, but I have to say that it did a pretty good job on a lot of the 4K content I saw. I know the comparison I saw is not perfect for PQ, but the X95J is 1/3 of the price of the Z9J, and I saw some scenes where the X95J looked really good with the darks. I think lose to the Z9J for a bit of brightness/depth/contrast is a good loss for the X95J. I think some of the differences I saw would not have been noticed without the TV’s being side-by-side.

Anyways, hope you like the 77-A80J. I’m going to get the 65” any day now, as soon as I can mentally accept the loss of not getting the 77”. I’m enjoying the last days of that dream before reality stomps on it repeatedly. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I love Sony TV's but the XR85X95J is $6000 here in Canada, with Zero reviews.

$4500 in the US according to Sony's site.

Pretty strong money and I don't have the room size for gigantic TV's. I'd love a 95J series TV in a smaller size but can't justify the cost. I don't see much difference in the pictures, small differences are better seen with the naked eye. My current Sony is a 2017 850 series and that's equivalent to an 85J I believe.

I was hoping to see some TV sales for the Olympics but it never happened. It also looks like Sony's MAP pricing doesn't budge anymore at retailers unless it drops on the Sony site first, here in Canada anyway. We have environmental fees on our electronics as well... which doesn't make sense as I don't see TV's hitting the landfills like they did when everyone dumped their CRT's.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just thought I’d share some photos of the Sony X95J.

Left side.......Sony 85Z9J
Right side....Sony 85X95J

Settings: Vivid mode w/ brightness at 45 (Max)... all other settings equal
Video on TVs: Sony 4K demo videos
Camera: iPhone 12 Pro Max

I already know the situation is not perfect, but it was interesting nonetheless. Just thought I’d share.
Thanks in advance to those who still choose to complain.

Earlier today I spent an enjoyable hour just doing a side-by-side comparison of the Sony Z9J and Sony X85J. Unfortunately, I can’t post videos on here, but I took some photos when the video was paused, and I will post some of those.

View attachment 3159320

View attachment 3159321

View attachment 3159323

View attachment 3159324

View attachment 3159325

Below........ Z9J.........

View attachment 3159333

View attachment 3159334

Below........ X95J..........

View attachment 3159336

View attachment 3159338

View attachment 3159339

View attachment 3159341

Peace

View attachment 3159320 View attachment 3159321 View attachment 3159323 View attachment 3159324 View attachment 3159325 View attachment 3159333 View attachment 3159334 View attachment 3159336 View attachment 3159338 View attachment 3159339 View attachment 3159341
Thanks for starting this thread! Those are quality shots!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Mooshoo,

I would also like the 77-A80J but tonight I kind of accepted getting the 65-A80J. I‘ll wait until next year to get a bigger Sony, and maybe next year the A80-series will get some trickle down from the A90J.

Where I am, the 85-X95J is just a few hundred dollars cheaper than the 77-A80J. Not sure the difference where you are. I think the “so-so” assessment you mention for the X95J might be because the 75” is priced quite high. It’s 50% more than the X90J here, which puts the 75” at the price of a 65-A90J, and then the 85” is close to the 77A80J. I think the X95J is being priced close to the OLED prices for a reason.

You said you are glad you didn’t hold out much longer. Actually, I think the X95J performed quite well with high-res content sitting next to a powerhouse like the Z9J. I think when the western reviews come out for a calibrated X95J, we will see it being considered a good TV. Will it be worth it’s price? Not sure, because it’s high, but I have to say that it did a pretty good job on a lot of the 4K content I saw. I know the comparison I saw is not perfect for PQ, but the X95J is 1/3 of the price of the Z9J, and I saw some scenes where the X95J looked really good with the darks. I think lose to the Z9J for a bit of brightness/depth/contrast is a good loss for the X95J. I think some of the differences I saw would not have been noticed without the TV’s being side-by-side.

Anyways, hope you like the 77-A80J. I’m going to get the 65” any day now, as soon as I can mentally accept the loss of not getting the 77”. I’m enjoying the last days of that dream before reality stomps on it repeatedly. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hi, thanks for this! Could you say a little bit more about the differences you noticed between the two, sort of hard to judge for sure from the photos, where surprisingly the Z9F looks a little less sharp and to have a little less contrast than the X95J - Is that how the looked to your eyes in the shop?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts