Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have a Sony XBR 40" direct-view. I got it in May and have not had much time to enjoy it. I did some inital setup using some of the test/setup DVDs including A video standard.

Anyway, love the set... although I wish I had better control over contrast (some detail always seems to get lost in the black levels...

The big problem is that when using my Sat reciever or other text-genrator (DVD menues, etc) I see that the left side is blurry. The right side lettering is sharp. This is regardless of blue text on white background or vise verse.

The blur starts at the left edge and fades 1/3d the screen width from the left edge.

Is there a service menu to fix this? Is there a way to force the dynamic focus feature to "retrack/recalibrate"? Is there another recourse?

I am concerned that this subtle problem will drive me nuts and sony and.or the company I purchased from may think I am nit-picking.

Thanks, in advance.

·
6,091 Posts
I think I've seen what you are talking about. For me it's worse or better depending on the source. PBS in one of their loops has several text pages when one ends one page is completey blurry on the left 1/3 of the screen and the rest is razor sharp. Then on another text page the bluriness is barely noticable. Same with DVD menus. I've never been able to detect the bluriness with anything other than text though. Don't know anything about a fix. Don't worry about knit-picking, I've had other problems and it will bother you if it doesn't get resolved one way or the other.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had this problem when I first got my 40XBR. After 3 visits and ultimately an entire new picture tube, my problem has been resolved. There are a few service menu settings that can possibly resolve the issue, but mine was too far gone. The setting (I can't remember exactly what it was) basically moved the blurred section off to the left, but it ultimately "wrapped" back over to the right side. The service tech never could get both sides to look focused until they brought the new tube in. I can tell you that it was an interesting process watching them haul a 40" tube into the house, up the stairs and then swap them out of the chassis!

My tube replacement is chronicled around here somewhere, probably in the January-March timeframe.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Gizmo,

Fortunately, I've never experienced your problems w/my 40XBR, and in fact have had NO problems thus far whatsoever. As Kadman suggested, I would contact Sony for a service fix and get this problem resolved immediately. This is what warranties are designed. Take advantage of it now. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.